Is my goal realistic?

Options
I am 5'4. I started out at 325..currently I weigh 218. I would like to weigh somewhere between 130-140. When I tell people that they tell me my goal is unrealistic? Thoughts?

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    That is not unrealistic at all.
    It would put you in the healthy range.
    I am 135 at 5'10 so I think your goal is actually very realistic and totally achievable, given how far you have already come.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    That's totally realistic. Why are people saying it's not? You've done a great job so far--congratulations! It does get a little harder to take off weight as you approach your goal, since you have to eat less to achieve the same loss (since you weigh less, you need less energy to move and to keep your body functioning). But you can do it.

If your family and friends are mostly overweight (like in much of the US), they may not have a realistic idea of what a healthy weight is. Or they could be envious of your success. In any case, if you want to respond effectively to them, see a doctor and get his or her opinion. If you can respond, "My doctor says it's realistic and it's healthy," they'll have less of a leg to stand on.

Good luck!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be realistic?
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You've done amazing! And I'm sure your goal is realistic - don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm getting nothing but criticism lately....one of the girls at work keeps telling me I'm going to gain all my weight back when I go back to eating like I was.....but I don't plan to...this is a lifestyle change for me, not a diet...I've been doing it for almost 9 months and have no intention of stoping. Another girl says I don't eat enough variety....to me I eat plenty of variety....I just don't eat the things that she eats....it's just crazy talk....
  • michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Look at you, looking all AWESOME. I looked at your profile pics to see where you came from. When I saw where you came from I totally believe in you! I think your goal weight is doable.

Michelle in Ohio:smile:
  • majomi1579
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! Of course your goal is realistic. I'm just starting and you are my inspiration. Great Job!!!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yes, your goal is realistic. It will take some time to get down to 130-140 lbs, but you can do it! Now is it unrealistic to get there in a few months? Yes. But in a year to a year and a half? Nope, that is very realistic. And you'd be within a healthy range! It just takes time!
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There's no reason why you couldn't get there! People can tell you what they want to believe, but if you're determined and work hard then you will reach your goal.

Just keep plugging away and proving people wrong :)
  • wendylou224
    wendylou224 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to those folks telling you that you goal is unrealistic. They are probably just jealous at how well you are doing. When I reached my goal I had people constantly asking when i was going to stop loosing weight and calling me skinny (which I find derogatory) I prefer being called healthy or fabulous :-)
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The people you're talking to are asshats. Your goal is completely realistic. It won't happen overnight, but you can do it.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You're doing an amazing job! You'll show those girls when you make it to your goal weight and maintain.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes

Also, they might not be bad people, a lot of people just let words fly out of their mouths with out even knowing/thinking what they are saying.
  • AkDeeW
    AkDeeW Posts: 5
    Options
    You have been doing a great job. You have came a long ways, keep up the hard work.

Your goal is achievable. It may not be easy, but as you said it is a life style change.

I have lost 120 pounds over the last 3 years maintaining it for a year and a half. When I started many people would say you don't have that much to loose, but when I look back at it was the people that were obese and overweight that would say that. People within the healthy weight range gave me the most support.

You go girl, and keep your chin up, AK
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm getting nothing but criticism lately....one of the girls at work keeps telling me I'm going to gain all my weight back when I go back to eating like I was.....but I don't plan to...this is a lifestyle change for me, not a diet...I've been doing it for almost 9 months and have no intention of stoping. Another girl says I don't eat enough variety....to me I eat plenty of variety....I just don't eat the things that she eats....it's just crazy talk....

Hey aprilflower...

I didn't read all of the posts but this stood out for me and I wanted to comment.

Long ago I decided to do something. I told people. People said I should be scared, worried, I wouldn't make it. I didn't understand why people were being so negative. Then it dawned on me...they can only see things from THEIR perspective. They were putting on me the things that THEY would feel if they were in my position. I just decided to trust how I felt and do want I wanted to do. Long story short...it was AWESOME!

Best to you!

9thChakra

P.S. I've more recently discovered that my asking opinions of people is just me being/feeling not confident in myself. This is not a horrible thing...it's natural to lack confidence when trying/doing new things...but I've begun to care less about what others think and just listen to me. Less disappointment that way!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

You'll get that. People told me that all the time. Still do sometimes. Don't take it personally. There are many reasons. Their own fears, their own insecurities. Some of them are jealous, and then others are just afraid. You can do this. It's very realistic.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Your goal seems completely realistic.

Maybe 140 lbs is less than what your coworkers weigh. I feel that some people think that anyone who weighs more than they do must be a crazy glutton, so any weight loss achieved is incredibly easy to that point, but it is desperately hard and takes inhuman amounts of willpower to lose 10 lbs below it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You have lost more than 100 lbs already! How can anyone doubt you can do it? Great job.
  • Misty_forest
    Options
    You can do it! Don't let anyone tell you that you can't :)
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ....it's just crazy talk....
    You said it right there! You are doing terrific, shine on to your goal weight and beyond!