tummy tuck

Options
Has anyone had a tummy tuck? was it painful, did you like the results? I have lost 120 lbs and want one but i'm scared!

Replies

• ajsimyan
    ajsimyan Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I want one really bad. when I get down to my goal weight, I want to start saving money for one. My good friend had one done and yes it was very painful but she said it is way worth it.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally but a friend of mine had a full body lift..and her results are GREAT! She was in a good amount of pain for a while but she says it was all worth it.

Not trying to be too nosy or anything but I read on your profile that are wanting another baby? Just make sure you get the tummy tuck AFTER that pregnancy!! Don't want to ruin all the work :)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I know of one person that has had it and it was very painful. I would recommend that you really look into improving your cardio, core training, and strength training. That would improve your midsection better and surgery.

June Warner has lost 175 pounds and look at her physique now, without a tummy tuck. Just hard work:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/june_warner
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    when i hit 199 i'm going to see the plastic surgeon that did my breast reduction over 10 years ago for a consultation to discuss a tummy tuck...i have wanted one since before i had children and now after having 2 kids and losing the weight i have so far and the weight i still plan to lose i am not keeping the tummy i have now....noooo friggin way....it is a constant reminder of the me that i am never going to be again....look forward to others responses on this thread....
  • sallie46
    sallie46 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss! That is tremendous! I hope you will share some of the things that helped you get there.

I think you should see a plastic surgeon for a consult. If you are young, it's very possible that most of the loose skin will shrink back into place and maybe a little lipo around the area will fix things. If you are older, like I was, the pooch was never going to go away. A tummy tuck is major surgery and it did take awhile to recover from but the results were great.

I have to warn everyone though -- if you go back to your bad habits that got you large in the first place, the fat will simply come back in other places. My greatest regret post-surgery is not knowing this -- now I have fat deposits in places I didn't before and it's a whole new problem.

Good luck to you and good luck everyone!
  • nonnahs413
    nonnahs413 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 10 weeks out from having mine done. CONGRATS on the awesome weight-loss!!! I lost 50lbs but still didnt like what I saw when I looked in the mirror. Sagging skin is almost as bad as looking at fat. I went under the knife in October. Had a tummy tuck and breast reductions (F to a C+) and lift. I LOVE MY RESULTS!! I have had 2 c-sections and hysto so I wasnt worried about the pain. The breast reduction was what scared me. But I have an awesome doctor and she made sure I was comfortable and NEVER had any pain! There is nothing like having a flat tummy and perky boobs! Most doctors will give you a discount if you do multiple procedures. I am so happy with the outcome and would do it again (but hope I never have to worry about that). So whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck!
    Shannon
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Read this blog....http://tightertummy.blogspot.com/?zx=7f4e3fa36788354a

The girl that writes it is a member here in MFP.
    She has lost a lot of weight and got a tummy tuck about 8 months ago.
    She wanted to document it because before she got hers done she could not find any helpful info out there about what you go through.....

I don't want/need to get a tummy tuck but I do enjoy reading about her changes in this journey.
    There are pics too......Tummy tucks take a bigger toll on a person than I thought they would...so maybe this blog will be helpful to you.

Dani
  • MyWishfulShrinking
    Options
    I've had a few family members get them. They are painfull to recover from, but isn't all major surgery? If it makes you feel better about yourself don't let anybody talk you out of it. Of course they're are always going to be risks with everything you do. They've told me many times over that the recovery was more than worth the outcome :)
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! I would be interested in hearing the rest of the responses...
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I know of one person that has had it and it was very painful. I would recommend that you really look into improving your cardio, core training, and strength training. That would improve your midsection better and surgery.

June Warner has lost 175 pounds and look at her physique now, without a tummy tuck. Just hard work:

OMG she looks incredible!!!!!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    bump
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Doctors suggest you wait 2 years after reaching the weight you're happy with to consider surgery. Our bodies change so much in that period of time and as some have shared do as much strength training and cardio as you can regularly to tone down naturally as it is possible to lose the trouble spots naturally. Doesn't mean you might not still want to have all the excess skin removed but doing it as much as you can naturally will bring on better results with the surgery and also the self esteem ;o)

I thought I would need quite a bit after dropping so much weight in the last 2 years but am very surprised to see the toning has helped in crazy ways to tighten up spots I was so sure I would need to do surgery on. I definitely am waiting the full 2 years before I consult my doc about it seriously. I will most definitely have a boob lift though and put the girls back where they belong.:tongue:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I want one as well. I had my daughter 7 years ago and the mama pooch isn't going to go away. My abs split when I was pregnant as well, so it would be very invasive if I get one. The loose skin and stretch marks bother me more than anything else. I wish you the best of luck should you get one.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    Something I'm thinking about but before I even think about surgery I'm trying.........

Strength training & cardio - People will get surgery too early while there still fat deposits.
    Time - Patience is perseverance
    Drinking water staying away from fried foods etc.
    Taking in a list of vitamin daily that help tightening of the skin. A, C, E, MSM, DMSO, Fish Oil.
    Started testing MSM lotion plus using Retin A Micro just as a try out.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I don't know - I've had 2 c'sections and while they cut through a lot more than just fat - I didn't find recovery too painful. I would suggest having a strong core before going through with that kind of procedure
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Wow! You've done awesome! Congratulations on all your hard work! Well done! :D

I totally hear you on the tummy tuck thing. When all is said and done I will be losing 245 pounds and it's hard to imagine me NOT needing surgery after losing almost two hundred and fifty pounds. I think in my case a full body lift will be needed and probably a tuck on my upper arms and thighs as well. But I'm really praying that a miracle will happen and I won't need surgery. Not only am I scared to death of surgery but there isn't a snowflakes chance in the Sahara at noon that I'll be able to afford such a majorly expensive surgery/surgeries.

Here's what I suggest for the BOTH of us - maintain your weight loss for AT LEAST a year before going in for surgery - preferably two years. Take that time to concentrate on, as Mrbackslap said, cardio and strength training. It will give us the time we need to further tone our bodies AND reduce the amount of fat% still on our body. A more toned and sleek look will be less for the doctors to have to "correct" and you may find you need less surgery than you though. :) Also waiting a year (or 2) gives the skin time to shrink up more and gives nature more time to help your body shrinking naturally.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    My husband's best friend had one about 2 months ago. He is active and healthy- but he still coded following surgery. It was touch and go for a few days but he recovered and was released from the hospital about two weeks after his surgery. He still cannot return to work. I used to want one- but after seeing him almost die- I changed my mind. I realize his case is not the majority- but it still happens. Good luck with your decision, but think about all of the possible outcomes.
  • skylersnanna
    Options
    I had abdominalplasty or as others call it a tummy tuck back in 1996, yes it is very painful but I also have an extremely high pain threshold, I am very overweight now I am 300lbs but I have a flat stomach still, and I have also had 2 children since the operation one born in 1998 and my last born in 2004.
    I was not as overweight when I had it done, the main reason was I had put on 80lbs when I was pregnant with my daughter in 1991 and I had a massive apron of skin infront of me which is what they removed, once that was removed and months after I recovered my weight seemed to melt off which was exciting for me, but then I got very sick and was put on steroids for a few years to help with my asthma and that is why I am large again, Im not sure how much surgery has changed but if you dont like scars I would maybe consider other options as my scar runs pretty much from the back of one hip to the other side
  • sierramist13
    sierramist13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck a little over a year ago. The recovery was fine for me. Of course,I had pain as they did just cut me from side to side and stitched me back but nothing I needed pain killers for.. it was just uncomfortable to sleep and get around. I actually found my back hurting more than the incision.. I was very happy with the results. Now the only thing that bothers me is just the big scar I have.
    My advice to anyone thinking about having abdominalplasty is search out the best plastic surgeon. They can tell you if they think you should get one, if you should wait, lose more weight, if you are healthy enough, etc. I just had the surgery, whereas they are the professionals and know best!
    Though Ive gained some weight, out of my own laziness, I don't regret ever getting the surgery. Best of luck in whatever you decide!
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

WOW!! I CAN have a 6pk!!! That is an awesome transformation!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!