Best protein powder?

Options
ancho84
ancho84 Posts: 40 Member
What is your favorite protein powder? I am looking for one with great taste, high-quality/amount of protein, low carb and low fat.

Has anyone tried Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Double Rich Chocolate?
I am thinking of purchasing, but looking for opinions, or perhaps a better option.

Replies

• TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it, but Optimum Proteins give me stomach issues apart from the really expensive ones, Partly down to the Lactose though the Chocolate does taste of Chocolate tho. I had some of their Lean Whey recently it tasted good as well.

Basically its just about buying the cheapest one you can stand the taste of that doesn't have the stuff in you don't want.

Personally I like Syntrax Nectar as my Protein Shake when Losing weight, and Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroBuilder if I'm trying to Gain Muscle and weight. (Or just The Hydrowhey if I'm trying to lose weight and had to go with ON, as it doesn't have the Lactose and other things that give me issues).
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I've only tried a handful, but my favorite tasting one is ON 100% Whey in Extreme Milk Chocolate.
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't use artificial sweeteners so I use Jarrow Chocolate. It is made with stevia, which is natural.
  • 4myB
    4myB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love About Time! 100 calories, 25g protein, 1g carb, no fat and only 5 ingredients! Nothing artificial, no soy, no rbgh. I've only tried chocolate and vanilla, but they have a ton of flavors that get good reviews. Vitacost has the best price but they are always sold. GNC online also has it.
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like Jarrow, too (soy). Twinlabs Vege isn't heavy on taste, although it is a little powdery (I buy only unflavored, which may or may not make a difference). I personally don't mine a little powdery taste - it goes away after a few swallows.

Good luck!
  • ancho84
    ancho84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I will be on the lookout for the ones you have suggested.
  • Krys052490
    Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What is your favorite protein powder? I am looking for one with great taste, high-quality/amount of protein, low carb and low fat.

Has anyone tried Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Double Rich Chocolate?
    I am thinking of purchasing, but looking for opinions, or perhaps a better option.

I have never used protein powder before but I absolutely LOVE this. It's great with water or millk 120 cals, 3g carbs. I love it. I usually use water because it saves on calories and you really don't need the milk. I will say, if you use milk or especially almond milk, USE A BLENDER but with water it breaks down great.
  • healthylove22
    Options
    I've tried a couple that I really like. Beachbody and Vega! Vega is naturally Vegan, and Beachbody's Shakeology has a vegan option!
  • April1290
    April1290 Posts: 31
    Options
    Body Fortress is really good -- they have quite a few different flavors. It's 30g of protein for one scoop in 8 oz of water. I also have been drinking Premier Protein (already mixed), it's 11 oz & 30g of protein for each one. Between the 2 I'd say the Premier Protein tastes the best.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The ON Double chocolate is delicious! It's not super sweet, and NOT powdery, even if you do 2 scoops. Thats what a large majority of people recommended to me, so I bought it and loved it. The one I bought before (muscle Milk) was chalky and WAY too sweet.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the buy-and-try stage, but I can tell you what to avoid from my experience though! Body Fortress, that you can get at Walmart, avoid the vanilla flavor like it will kill you. It's horrible!!! Doesn't mix well, and the fakey-fake vanilla flavor is overpowering. Wish I'd never stooped so low :laugh:
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I just got one from Vitamin Shoppe called BNRG Power Crunch Proto Whey, in vanilla creme flavor. Taste is phenomenal, better than any other I've tried (seven or so now), but mixability is is only so-so in a shaker cup - it left lots of little clumps even though I shook it for a good 90 seconds. I can't imagine trying to mix it with a spoon would be good. It's great in a blender though, and I've used it to make "coconut banana protein fluff" already and it was outstanding. I have a little personal blender thing so I can easily blend it all the time instead of shaking it, but because of the mixing issue I probably won't buy it again.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i just bought some ON. i wanted to try it again since i have had muscletech phase8 a couple times now. ON is good and great quality. however, i usually have to mix ON and let sit for a bit and then mix again to get it fully blended. the flavor is good. but i think i will be going back to phase8. it mixes excellent, and the flavors are amazing. phase8 is hands down the best i have tried. others i tried are cellucor and trutein. both were good flavor and mixed well. but the phase8 blows them all out of the water. IMHO
    disclaimer: i am not a scientist and have no scientific studies to back anything i have typed here. use this info at your own risk.:wink:
  • jrknotts
    jrknotts Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been using Optimum Nutrition Gold (banana crème) flavor for over a year now. I recommend it. The chocolate and vanilla flavors are good too.
  • Trukngrl
    Trukngrl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Trutein!!! I can never recommend it enough, 3 sources of protein, great flavors that actually taste good - with water or faux-milk(I use coconut milk). There is also a great series called Curls and Whey .com that gives you recipes to use the powder in to make other snacks and food. Love Love Love it. Type it in the search and you will see how many people rave about it.

Best part is there is no veil of - proprietary ingredients... nope... alll listed on the side.
  • cummingscb
    Options
    I have been using Designer Whey (the chocolate one), and it's been fine. I mix my protein powder with water, so the flavor is particularly telling when there's nothing creamy to mix it with. I did read a study about the high content of metals in a lot of protein powders (I think Muscle Milk was the biggest offender) and Designer Whey did have a questionable amount of trace metals in it, so I have made a switch to Central Market's organic whey protein, also in chocolate. So far I'm happy with it, although it takes quite a bit of stirring to get the powder (which is very fine) to mix with the water. Since you're in Texas, you should be able to find the Central Market organics at a local HEB.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Its all the same stuff imo

WHEY IS WHEY . 32g protein is 32g protein if you get what I mean ...

Stay away from mass gainers etc , no need .. Just eat food and have a protein shake to get in additional protein when needed
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I have ON Gold Standard Double Chocolate and I really enjoy it. It's not as chocolately as I'd like it, so I normally add Raw Cacoa powder to it as well. It also isn't very sweet at all, so great if you prefer a more subtle chocolate taste. I don't get any problems digesting wise, I find it actually fills me up (I mix with Almond milk every morning and post workout)
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ON's Whey Protein and ON Casein powders are good. Whey will digest quickly; casein takes a lot longer to breakdown in your system, so it's good to take before bed. My favorite protein powder, though is Muscle Gauge Nutrition's (MGN) Whey protein. They have a bunch of good flavors, and they mix very easily. I buy all of my protein powders & supplements on bodybuilding.com.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Zero Carb Isopure Creamy Vanilla

For 2 Scoops

100 Calories
    Zero Carbs
    Zero Fat
    50 gms Protein