What are good/bad carbs?

Options
Frustrated!! So I was following The Medical Weight loss and Wellness plan which is an extremely low carb/low sugar high protein plan. I lost 40lbs in 9 weeks! It was great but not something I could live on. It was too restricting. So I decided to go back to counting calories, eating healthier and working out more. I've been working out more than usual and I haven't stayed 100% in my daily calorie goal but haven't gone completely over either and I keep gaining! I feel that it's because of carbs bc before I was barely eating any. I need to focus and stick to better food choices. Any tips would be helpful! :)

Replies

• pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    If you have recently increased carbs then you will gain water weight as the muscles store water along with glycogen.

As far as good/bad carbs go, it depends who you ask. Personally I think sugar, grains, legumes and refined foods are poison based not only on experience but studies done on them. They also lack the nutrition that other carbs have, so I consider "good" carbs to be fruits and vegetables and that's about it. For people who work out a lot sugars helps with performance and does less damage to cells so in that instance not always bad.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    When you go very low carb your body loses some water weight. So the weight you're gaining back might just be water.

That said, in general carbs from plants are good. But really the best ones are from veggies and fruits. Minimize highly processed carbs like chips and pretzels. And it's just too easy to overeat grains. So be very careful with your bread, rice, and pasta intake.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    When you go very low carb your body loses some water weight. So the weight you're gaining back might just be water.

I agree with this part. I eat 300+ g of carbs a day. All kinds. Everything from pasta, bread, vegetables, fruit...ice cream. If it's not from water weight, I would make sure you're weighing and measuring your food and not overestimating exercise, etc. Also, good read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Frustrated!! So I was following The Medical Weight loss and Wellness plan which is an extremely low carb/low sugar high protein plan. I lost 40lbs in 9 weeks! It was great but not something I could live on. It was too restricting. So I decided to go back to counting calories, eating healthier and working out more. I've been working out more than usual and I haven't stayed 100% in my daily calorie goal but haven't gone completely over either and I keep gaining! I feel that it's because of carbs bc before I was barely eating any. I need to focus and stick to better food choices. Any tips would be helpful! :)

How long have you been gaining? Low carb diets seem like fast weight loss at first because your body is depleting glycogen stores (like water weight) ....then when you go back to eating carbs .....some pounds (NOT fat) ....come back.

Are you strength training? When muscles are sore they hold water for repair. Strength training creates small tears.

There aren't really good or bad carbs (IMO). I try to stick with less processed food when I can. Less processing generally means more fiber and/or more protein. White bread is a good example.....whole wheat still has fiber & protein that white bread doesn't.

Fruits have carbs .....but they have lots of fiber & nutrients besides. As long as I don't go crazy....I eat fruit too.

I just read labels and look for fewer ingredients. I don't eat healthy all the time. I leave room to satisfy cravings. But I try to limit treats.....now they are "treats" ....not cookies at lunch AND cookies at dinner type thing.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I eat 150-200 g of carbs every day and I am losing weight at a rate of 1-3 lbs a week. Weigh your food and eat at a deficit and you will lose the weight.
  • LoraAnn86
    LoraAnn86 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you all! I do still measure my food bc I had to do that with the low carb diet so that helps. I'm hoping it's just water weight. My clothes are still feeling lose so that's a good sign.

I've gained about 8lbs in 2 weeks. I have been lifting weights along with doing cardio. Some have said I've gained muscle but I never believe that. I'm hoping it's a mix of muscle and water weight. I feel my body is trying to adjust from that strict 'diet' to this change of healthy eating. I will continue to eat more fruits and veggies, watch my grains (bread, rice pasta) and portions. Also continue my work outs.

Thank you all! I really appreciate it!