Mysterious weight gain

Options
Over the last two or three days, I've gone from weighing 161 every evening to 165.

I'm eating all my calories and sometimes a little bit over, but that shouldn't make me gain - I should just be losing at a slower rate.

I exercise every day and try to vary the times and the speed when I can.

I drink too much water for it to be a sodium issue, and it's too early in my cycle for it to be menstrual water retention.

Talk to me.

Replies

• magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Over the last two or three days, I've gone from weighing 161 every evening to 165.

I'm eating all my calories and sometimes a little bit over, but that shouldn't make me gain - I should just be losing at a slower rate.

I exercise every day and try to vary the times and the speed when I can.

I drink too much water for it to be a sodium issue, and it's too early in my cycle for it to be menstrual water retention.

Talk to me.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen... I don't know what's causing it but I float up then it comes back down. I wish I had words of wisdom for you.
  • neha
    neha Posts: 67
    Options
    Had same issue 15 days back. I just finished with menses. It couldn't be PMS. I did take prune juice, fruits and drank lots of water to get back on track. It fell off like, after 3 days.... every day, half kg a day for 3 days. Try taking lots of veggies n fruits n juice. Maybe the body is not cleansing properly.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Try weighing in the morning before you eat or drink anything--that is the best time to weigh, unless you work night shift or something. Otherwise, too many factors during the day can influence your weight.
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    Try weighing in the morning before you eat or drink anything--that is the best time to weigh, unless you work night shift or something. Otherwise, too many factors during the day can influence your weight.
    so when would be the best time if you work night shift?
    i wake up at about anywhere from 8-10am most days but dont get to bed until 1 or 2am
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    When you first wake up and after you have you done "the morning stuff" you know {ahem} bathroom stuff. But before you eat or drink anything.

By night shift, I meant working from like 11:00pm until 7:00am.

My DH Did that when we were dating WAYYY back when, and he would sleep until 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    When you first wake up and after you have you done "the morning stuff" you know {ahem} bathroom stuff. But before you eat or drink anything.

By night shift, I meant working from like 11:00pm until 7:00am.

My DH Did that when we were dating WAYYY back when, and he would sleep until 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
    i figured thats what you meant, shore
    thanks! just wanted confirmation
    and yes i know what you mean that *ahem* stuff
  • magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ironically, I weigh less right after I exercise and hydrate around 10pm than I do when I wake up in the morning, which is part of the reason why that's my weigh-in time.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Things other than salt can cause bloating and temporary weight gain. Some veggies, beans, milk in some people. If you drank several glasses of water and your body hadn't eliminated enough extra fluid to make up the difference, that would do it too. Also, if you changed your workout routine or increased it your muscles may be holding on to water to repair themselves. That would increase your weight. That's why I only weigh 1 time a week - well :blushing: only officially anyway!! The other 2 - 3 times are just to see what's going on, sometimes even what pants I can wear that day!!

Plus, even if you drink a lot of water, excess sodium cause retention doesn't always flush out of your body immediately. Especially if you had extra sodium for lunch and dinner and weighed in the evening.

Just some thoughts!