Cream of Wheat

Options
2»

Replies

• soywoman
    soywoman Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    my grandma used to make me cream of wheat, with butter, cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top. It was delicious. Not the healthiest way to eat it though. :laugh:

^ mine too, good god was it tasty

Mine also!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    It's been decades since I've had Cream of Wheat...may have to add that to my list of foods. :smile:
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh man... I eat cream of wheat so often my family teases me about it.

I usually make it with almond milk, vanilla or almond extract, a spoonful of sugar and a pinch of salt.

Other favorites additions:
    Add tablespoon or two of baking cocoa
    Cut down on milk and stir in half a cup of greek yogurt at the end
    Cinnamon and nutmeg
    A few tablespoons of greek yogurt and a spoonful of cream cheese
    Fruit. Any fruit.
    Peanut butter.

This morning I mixed in mashed kabocha squash, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Was pretty tasty.

I could go on...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I hate Cream of Wheat, never have liked it :sick:
  • DesertRains
    DesertRains Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I actually use dry cream of wheat in a bean burger recipe that is OUTSTANDING!

I'll go post it, in case anyone's interested.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I totally forgot about Cream of Wheat until this thread and now it's going on my grocery list! Yummy!!!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I love cream of wheat, but I love grits more! DH gives me grief cuz I eat my grits with sugar, butter, cinnamon and raisins. He says the only way to eat grits is with a dash of Louisianna HotSauce.
  • stiglich2002
    stiglich2002 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My Mom would make it for us with a bit of butter and honey. Still is my go to comfort food. Yumm!
  • ericarfloyd
    ericarfloyd Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Our grocery stores in the Midwest finally started carrying the Banana flavored Cream of Wheat! I mix it with a pack of original and yummy! But I like the original just plain!
  • marshart
    marshart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Love mixing in low fat honey cream cheese and fresh fruit or
    Tub of flavored Greek yogurt or
    Fresh fruit topped with lite sour cream
    All with sprinkle of sugar or Splenda and cinnamon sometimes
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat it as a treat. I make mine with 1% milk, to help save some calories as I love it with cinnamon & sugar sprinkled on top.
  • KristenCook2
    KristenCook2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    LOVE Cream of Wheat! I make mine tons of different ways but my go-to is with a splash of flavored creamer (so many varieties!) and cinnamon sprinkled on top. Also, it's really yummy with a dallop of pumpkin puree, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Tastes just like pumpkin pie!
  • Rlyxpop
    Rlyxpop Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bacon bits sounds like it would be awesome in it. :)
  • Rlyxpop
    Rlyxpop Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The way I always make it is to put 2 tsp of sugar and 1 Tbsp of butter. It's the way my mom made it when I was little. Started eating it again a few weeks ago
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have a pack of cream of wheat, and 2 random packs of oatmeal for breakfast most workdays.
    Thickens it all up.
  • lgsprs
    lgsprs Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    TRY PUTTING SOME SIMPLY FRUIT IN IT. ITS A JELLY BUT COMES IN DIFFERENT FLAVORS. I LIKE IT.
  • crikvenica
    Options
    Cream of Wheat or even better gritz with CHICKEN BROTH.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    OMG, I LOVE Cream of Wheat, had it when I was a kid, up until I was diagnosed with Celiac... My fave was to make it with lo fat milk and a bit of Maple Syrup on it. YUM!!
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My dad used to make it for us when we were younger.. he'd always throw in raisins so that's usually what I do. I've tried it with brown sugar and maple syrup and I didn't care for either. Craisins would be good too or dried cherries.. pretty much any dried fruit I think would be great. Or milk and honey.
  • ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, haven't had cream of wheat in many years, might have to try it again. I eat oatmeal almost every day and add cottage cheese, fruit and nuts. Not sure if cottage cheese would be a good addition to cream of wheat??? Add it after cooking.