Water weight why drink

Options
Ok so people want to lose weight. One of the things people I don't get is water weight people want to lose it but then we should drink 8 cups??? I'm confused

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Your body needs water.... for Everything.....
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    shakes head
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Your body is mostly composed of water and needs lots of water to conduct its functions. If you are not drinking enough water for those functions, your body will hang on to any water it does get. That's what water retention is. If you want to RETAIN less water, drink MORE of it so your body can USE it efficiently and get rid of the stuff it needs to process.

Bottoms up
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Your body needs water.... for Everything.....

yep. that.
  • serrazee
    serrazee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    From the interweb:

Although it may sound contradictory, if your body is suffering from dehydration it retains water as a survival mechanism. Drinking plenty of water, fruit juices, herbal teas and other non-caffeinated beverages allows your body to flush and cleanse fluids regularly.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Er, what?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ok so people want to lose weight. One of the things people I don't get is water weight people want to lose it but then we should drink 8 cups??? I'm confused

Odly enough, proper hydration flushes out extra water weight.

However, the weight you want to lose is weight from excess fat so water weight isn't really an issue in the long run.
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Also, a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this, but there's no real evidence that we need 8 glasses of water a day. Drink when you're thirsty, or when you're sweating a lot, or if you live at a high altitude.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Could it take ONE WEEK for the water weight to be lost that you eat a week ago? (excessive sodium a week ago?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    picard-double-facepalm-gif-5917.gif
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Could it take ONE WEEK for the water weight to be lost that you eat a week ago? (excessive sodium a week ago?

It can, yes. I see you reviving all the water weight threads, lol. It's okay, it will eventually go away.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but before I even opened this thread I said dear god please don't let this thread be what I think it is......and it was. If you want to die of dehydration, we can't stop ya!
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    picard-double-facepalm-gif-5917.gif

Exactly.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

Water doesn't flush sodium as much as people like to believe. You need to increase potassium intake to bind to the sodium to move it out of your system efficiently. Otherwise, it's completely dependent on how you expend electrolytes and continue eating after a sodium binge.
  • mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Also, a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this, but there's no real evidence that we need 8 glasses of water a day. Drink when you're thirsty, or when you're sweating a lot, or if you live at a high altitude.

The 8/8oz glasses is a general recommendation for the average individual that eats a well-balanced diet. Reputable resources state that this is a base-guideline, and the individual should adjust based on urine color. There is plenty of evidence that adequate water is necessary for proper digestion and body functions.

I currently drink 20+ 8oz glasses a day and still not peeing clear. It's been a shock to the max, but I feel remarkably better. The habit has made digestion easier, got me moving more, eased muscle pain, and nearly eliminated my dependence on caffeine. Fantastic if you ask me.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

That just happened to me recently. Yes I went off plan but my estimating couldn't have been that off! I expected 1 lb at most but instead saw 11 on the scale. It was finally gone in a week :ohwell:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Your body retains water when it is not getting enough to carry out basic functions. It thinks you are trying to survive in a circumstance where water is not available so it holds on to it. If you drink enough water throughout the day and make sure you stay sufficiently hydrated, there is not need to retain the water you have, so your body flushes it out (and you pee like crazy.)

Drink your water!