Water weight from cardio?

Options
Hello all -

Just curious about this as well this morning.

I ran about 3 miles on Monday (not all running... more like 2 broken up over the 3 miles, the rest walking) and felt great after and yesterday. I don't feel much, if any, muscle soreness.

My weight was up 2 lbs from yesterday, however.

Do you retain water after cardio workouts? I know it's common for those who participate in heavy lifting and strength training.

Thanks!

Replies

• maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    On any given day, you can retain water and have temporary gains for a number of reasons. If you're new to exercise, it could be related to the cardio. I wouldn't stress it too much, either way. You didn't gain two pounds overnight, I promise! Just keep moving your body and eating well and you'll see results.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    When I started doing the elipical, the scale went up a few pounds for the first few weeks which was water retention.
  • oldmike1030
    oldmike1030 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Whenever I change up my workout routine I gain a couple pounds for a few days, then it falls off. Even cardio type exercise. I don't always feel sore after, or the next day. There's no way you really gained 2 lbs. in one day, that would be a heck of a lot of eating.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Whenever I change up my workout routine I gain a couple pounds for a few days, then it falls off. Even cardio type exercise. I don't always feel sore after, or the next day. There's no way you really gained 2 lbs. in one day, that would be a heck of a lot of eating.

^^ This.

It happens even if you don't work out, but switching up your workout routine or doing more than usual can definitely cause this. Drink lots of water and keep going!!