Tips for a beginner in jogging/running?

Options
I signed up for my first 5K on May 24th (a color run - I'm so excited!). I started walking a month or so ago (not regularly) and discovered I walk at a fairly brisk pace naturally (4.5 mph) for the entire 5k distance. My jog feels a lot slower, although I am trying to pace myself at a 12 minute mile right now (I discovered jog.fm and set up a playlist for the pace - that REALLY helped!). I really want to build up to where I can run the race and not walk it.

Right now I am doing intermittent walk/jog cycles along my route and trying to make sure my form is right, but it still feels slow and I am frustrated by my lack of being able to keep up a jog that is the same pace as my walk. It feels awkward but if I go faster it wipes me out! Any tips on building up endurathence and how fast should I try to increase my pace? I have a couple of routes of varying length that I do depending on the mental goal I have - distance or time - when I start.

Any suggestions or tips? New to the forums, so just getting my feet wet with how things work on here!

Thanks!

Replies

• sgdonovan79
    sgdonovan79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As someone who started the same way with a similar goal, my only advice would be to take your time, don't try and do too much too quickly, and get yourself a good pair of shoes. If you want to get your endurance up, try doing an elliptical workout for a while until you can keep going at a good pace for at least 30 minutes. If you don't have access to an elliptical machine, just try and jog for as long as possible and then work from there. Just keep pushing yourself (but, again not too hard) and strive to get better. Focus on walking less and jogging more. You'll get there but it might take some time. Don't get discouraged!
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I just started (again) too. I've been doing a 2 minute walk, 1 minute jog cycle for an hour. Hoping to increase distance and speed without hurting myself (shins are already giving me guff...)
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    For me, walk/jog intervals were what worked best. I would start with a 1:2 interval (1 minute running, 2 minutes recovery). This allows you to run faster during the run intervals because you do have that recovery in there. I built up slowly (adding run time, but not decreasing recovery time), until I could run a full 60 minutes without walking. For longer runs, try a distance interval (like run for .25/ walk for .25). If you are serious about time I'd definitely get an app similar to runkeeper or invest in a good GPS watch (I have Garmin).

A note about the color run (so much fun!!) Don't get so caught up in wanting to run the whole thing that you don't stop and enjoy it. I did that when I did my first color run and it wasn't nearly as much fun as it could have been. I literally saw people rolling around in the powder...now THEY were having a great time :D
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The C25k apps are fab, designed to go from not running to 5k. Good luck.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My best advice is starting off with C25k....I loved it. Then again, I couldn't even run a mile when I started. Next would be to listen to your body....and lastly STICK with it! I love the feeling of running further than I ever had, or beating my best time. Good luck!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent..my suggestion, don't compare yourself to others, just go to have fun! There is never any shame in walking, go with what your body is telling you. If you aren't having fun, you won't continue to run/walk.
  • sunitar292
    sunitar292 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Coack to 5k
  • healthyplans
    healthyplans Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I started walking about a year ago and slowly increased time and speed until I was doing what I called "wogging" and only started really running about a month or two ago. I am still slow--but faster than when I was walking. I think for me, starting out walking and then wogging helped to prepare me. When I go to the gym, I use the machine that looks like you're skiing (cant for the life of me remember that name) and it has helped me a lot!
    Some people say to get used to the distance first and then work on speed. Others say to do intervals... but I say find what works for you and do it. Everyone of us are different. Good luck to you!!!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The weather is getting nice and I want to take advantage of this. I used to be more active but cut back because of different "old man" injuries. The worst has been my flat feet. I've got 3 kids (8yo, 6yo and 4 months) and it's been hard to get out to the gym.