Floor Crunches
Oblique Floor Crunches
Decline Crunches
Decline Oblique
Hanging Knee Raises
Reverse Crunches
Cable Crunches
Cable Oblique Crunches
Now, the concept is that you increase "weight" with each set. (sets of x12, 10, x8, x6, x12, (superset of different exercise) x12)

Um... maybe a dumb question, but how do I increase weights with abs? I've never used weights with abs before. (And to give background info, my abs are my weakest body part)

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    You can use dumbbells...
    Or ankle weights
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    well, you could hold a dumbbell, plate, sandbag or something.

are you doing that whole thing each day? or selecting 2-4 of them to do each time you do....whatever body for life is?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    i like holding on to my cat- she's super fat- the added fact she's struggling to get away really ups the challenge to a whole new level.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

are you doing that whole thing each day? or selecting 2-4 of them to do each time you do....whatever body for life is?

abs are on lower body days (every other weight day), so like if I do weights MWF, I would do them W one week and then MF the next week.
  • msthang444
    Options

So... like you'd do 12,10,8,6,12 Floor Crunches then 12 Oblique Floor Crunches
  • JoRocka
    Options

I suspect he wouldn't be doing those at all-he doesn't seem like "crunch" kind of guy but I mean- that's a way you could do them.
  • DavPul
    Options

I suspect he wouldn't be doing those at all-he doesn't seem like "crunch" kind of guy but I mean- that's a way you could do them.

nah. i'm not one of those "never do abs, just do deadlifts for your abs!" people. i do abs....usually right after i'm done curling in the rack.

but if the OP is doing all of that on the same day (plus weighted) it seems like a lot of ab work....unless what she's looking for is hypertrophy and actually trying to develop bigger, blockier six pack abs. not familiar with the OP so that could be her goal for all i know.
  • msthang444
    Options

but if the OP is doing all of that on the same day (plus weighted) it seems like a lot of ab work....unless what she's looking for is hypertrophy and actually trying to develop bigger, blockier six pack abs. not familiar with the OP so that could be her goal for all i know.

BFL does lower body/upper, so I'll do abs on lower body day - quads, hams, calves and abs with the same pyramid weight scheme.
    ry%3D400
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/weight-training

Select one exercise and conduct five sets with it, starting with a set of 12 reps, then increasing the weight and doing 10 reps, adding more weight and doing 8 reps, adding more weight for 6 reps. Then reduce the weight and do 12 reps. Immediately perform another set of 12 reps for that muscle group using the second selected exercise.
  • JoRocka
    Options

nah. i'm not one of those "never do abs, just do deadlifts for your abs!" people. i do abs....usually right after i'm done curling in the rack.

do you do crunches though?

I mean I'm all about my DL for abs- but I still like doing ab work... I just don't like crunches- you didn't strike me as a sit up/crunch kind of ab guy.

power hanging leg raises in the power cage? that seems like it would do it ;)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I do abs once or twice a week.

One thing you can do, is a hanging leg raise....
    Keep legs straight, and lift legs til they are in a 90 degree angle or so, and hold there....

I am trying to get to 45 seconds right now....
    But I do like 4 sets of 30 seconds.....
    Then do regular leg raises and whatever else I feel like doing for abs that day
  • DavPul
    Options

I mean I'm all about my DL for abs- but I still like doing ab work... I just don't like crunches- you didn't strike me as a sit up/crunch kind of ab guy.

You got me. Toes to bar and windshield wipers are my favorite, but you can catch me with a plate in my hand crunching to the sky combined with Russian twists every so often.
  • DavPul
    Options

http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/weight-training

Select one exercise and conduct five sets with it, starting with a set of 12 reps, then increasing the weight and doing 10 reps, adding more weight and doing 8 reps, adding more weight for 6 reps. Then reduce the weight and do 12 reps. Immediately perform another set of 12 reps for that muscle group using the second selected exercise.

So if I'm understanding this, it's two of the exercises each time, dealers choice, but all 8 or whatever. I can live with that
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    So... the options for ab exercises for the body for life program are:
    Floor Crunches
    Oblique Floor Crunches
    Decline Crunches
    Decline Oblique
    Hanging Knee Raises
    Reverse Crunches
    Cable Crunches
    Cable Oblique Crunches
    Now, the concept is that you increase "weight" with each set. (sets of x12, 10, x8, x6, x12, (superset of different exercise) x12)

Um... maybe a dumb question, but how do I increase weights with abs? I've never used weights with abs before. (And to give background info, my abs are my weakest body part)

i see one lower ab exercise and the rest are upper or oblique.

if your dead set on this, i recommend always doing the hanging knee raises first. say you can do 200 crunches before you start feeling a burn. do the hanging knee raises first and your going to start feeling the crunches by like 25, i'm not even joking. The six pack is really one muscle, but when you do lower ab work your also working the upper part. so this is like a 'pre-exhaust' method that works exceptionally well.

everyone hates on the crunch, but the function of the abs is to bring your sternum about an inch closer to your pelvis (i.e. a crunch).

The biggest reason why everyone hates them is that you'd have to do so many before they are effective. If you do them like that then i agree, they are a waste of time.

but if you end up failing at 30 crunches because you already worked the crap out of them with leg raises... then you've done a lot for your midsection and you took it right on the six pack.

this is the 'easiest' road map to a six pack

http://www.equationsheets.com/LegendaryAbs.pdf

thats what i do and i could be basically fat and you'd still see SOMETHING

I watched an episode of '*kitten*' where they went to a male stripper work out session lol. they ONLY thing they did for abs was the hanging leg raises (as described above and also in my link). it truely is the grand daddy of midsection exercises. do the hanging knee raises to work up to them.

consider straps or slings if you have trouble gripping the bar the whole time.

hanging knee raises, hanging leg raises, and believe it or not the ab wheel are supposed to be the most effective exercises for the six pack
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    also like to add to my rant that the quality of reps matters very much here, perhaps more so then any other body part.

1 good rep is truly worth 100 half a$$ed ones.

you really want to be able to feel each contraction, not just perform a rep. holding it for a beat is good too. i can actually 'feel' a checker board when i do crunches.
  • JoRocka
    Options

You got me. Toes to bar and windshield wipers are my favorite, but you can catch me with a plate in my hand crunching to the sky combined with Russian twists every so often.

great stuff- do those myself

Although I'm a big fan of the updown plank/push up position with a weight drag- or the plank drag/crawl + weight.
    and Pallof Press- those are wicked good.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    you can also use bands if your interested in extra resistance.

its going to be challenging for the leg stuff, ankle weights would be easier in that case if desired.
  • DavPul
    Options

Although I'm a big fan of the updown plank/push up position with a weight drag- or the plank drag/crawl + weight.

also a fan of those. i do the plank/drag with my sandbag along with around the worlds.
  • JoRocka
    Options

also fans of those. i do the plank/drag with my sandbag along with around the worlds.

i haz no sandbang :( I use 25 lb weights- 45 are just a fuking pain in the *kitten* to pull through. New gym has 35's- might try those.

we have KB but honestly the weight distribution is weird so I don't like it.
  • DavPul
    Options
    the drag works well with DBs. has got to suck with a plate. unless it's the type of plate with the hand holes in it.