:noway:
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    If you have my knees it is. Not that it would kill me but it hurts a lot
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Correlation =/= causation.

It also didn't say running was bad, it said recent research suggests there may a point of diminishing returns with running. It was suggesting high milage of running may carry more of a risk factor.

The explanation I was given by a medical doctor friend of this study is that for high milage runners, there may be a point where the benefits end, and there may be a little bit more of a risk factor, however, they are still healthier and live longer than those who don't at all. So running a lot of miles is still better than not running at all even if there is a direct relationship (which there isn't) between more miles and shorter life expectancy (I couldn't find the numbers in the study but he suggested it was a small difference between the average runners and the high mileage runners - we aren't talking years of difference).

ETA - haha, I was typing as Helwiththis posted too.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Did you actually read the article because it doesn't say running is bad for you!

You seem to have skipped the parts...
    However, the research showed that people who do a lot of running, and those who do none, both have shorter lifespans.

Dr James O’Keefe, who reviewed the research, believes the findings could be caused by ‘wear and tear’ on the bodies of people who do a lot of running.
    He advises people to aim for about two and a half hours of slow to moderate paced running a week.

That actually sounds like hell to me but each to their own!!
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Full marathon getting crossed off my "bucket list" in a couple weeks. I read the article. I can only say I've never felt better. Right now I'm averaging 39 miles a week. Of course, after my marathon, that number will go down. However, I still plan on getting a 10 mile run in, once a week.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Did you actually read the article because it doesn't say running is bad for you!

You seem to have skipped the parts...
    However, the research showed that people who do a lot of running, and those who do none, both have shorter lifespans.

Dr James O’Keefe, who reviewed the research, believes the findings could be caused by ‘wear and tear’ on the bodies of people who do a lot of running.
    He advises people to aim for about two and a half hours of slow to moderate paced running a week.

That actually sounds like hell to me but each to their own!!

It doesn't say all in one shot. I run for 30 min. 4 days a week which equals 2 hours/week.

And I also didn't see any where that said it was bad for you.
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So is reading the daily mail...
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Reading the Mail is way worse.

And my knees suck. Hence I don't run. That and I can't think of anything more boring. Hmm wait... maybe... Nope. I can't.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    First, this is a preliminary study. It has not been peer reviewed. Second what the study points out is subjects who do not exercise and subjects with high-mileage running practices both appear to have shorter lifespans. But moderate mileage runners show improved health benefits.

"The researchers behind the newest study on the issue say people who get either no exercise or high-mileage runners both tend to have shorter lifespans than moderate runners. But the reasons why remain unclear, they added, "

http://consumer.healthday.com/fitness-information-14/misc-health-news-265/too-much-running-linked-to-shorter-lifespan-studies-find-686310.html

Moderation is always key
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options

I love the Daily Mail!!!!!! It's my 'go to' online newspaper. So entertaining (not in a good way) .. especially the reader comments.

I'd NEVER date someone who admitted to actually buying it though! Then again, I'm not sure anyone who prescribed to the beliefs/ethos of the Daily Mail would want to date me! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    daaaailymail..............HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • WaKay
    WaKay Posts: 314
    Options
    Isn't the Daily Mail sold right next to the National Inquirer??
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The truth of the matter is... we substantially improve our overall morbidity and mortality rates by exercising more, not less. Short of running head first into a bus, NOT exercising is the fastest way to an early death. That's what people really need to fear most - early death from being *too* damn sedentary.

So maybe we don't all need to strive to become ultra-endurance runners... I'm not really seeing an ultra-running epidemic erupting any time soon, so crisis averted.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    The Daily Fail. Enough said. :yawn:
  • peejay34mason
    peejay34mason Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is that it is good to be BAD!!! And this justifies it!!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    It's certainly bad for me. I don't understand how anyone enjoys this miserable form of exercise.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Correlation =/= causation. Bad article, bad science, waste of time.

+1