Soups Soups Soups

Options
SuperC_85
SuperC_85 Posts: 393
Winter is on its way to my part of the world, and since finding the one Beetroot soup recipe that I absolutely LOVE, I realize Im missing out on something in life. SOUPS GLORIOUS SOUPS!

Please share your soup recipes here, can be vegetarian or meaty, teach me something new! :smile:

Regal Red Beetroot Soup

Ingredients:

5ml Cumin Seeds (Whole)
5ml Fennel Seeds (Whole)
5ml coriander ground
1ml cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
1ml asafoetida
15ml oil
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 stick celery chopped
250ml grated butternut
4-6 beetroots, cubed
1litre stock
200ml plain yoghurt

Serves 4

Heat the oil on a medium setting
Add the whole seeds and allow to brown until you detect the aroma
Then add the coriander, cayenne pepper, bay leaf and asafoetida and allow to sizzle for a few seconds. Turn down the heat and gently fry the onions until soft. Add the garlic and saute for another 3 minutes.
Now add the vegetables and the stock and allow to simmer for 30 - 40 minutes until the beetroot is tender
Liquidise and serve with the yoghurt, garnished with parsley.

:smile:

Replies

• maria_stafeler
    Options
    yummy. I love soups
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Mmm... beetroot is truly a "superfood" with so many vitamins! I just got a soup maker and am looking forward to trying out this amazing-sounding recipe. Thanks for sharing!
  • SuperC_85
    Options
    Pleasure :smile:
    I used to pull my nose up at beetroot, until I tried this soup! Its delicious!
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    Purchase can at shop with particular flavour required. Heinz tomato is a particular favourite of mine....
    Using can opener in right hand, remove lid.
    Pour contents into pan.
    Heat or "nuke" in the microwave. NOTE: If microwave use suitable microwaveable plate to prevent explosion.
    Pour soup into bowl and eat.

That's all Charissa.....(lol)
  • VJ97
    VJ97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SuperC_85
    Options
    Purchase can at shop with particular flavour required. Heinz tomato is a particular favourite of mine....
    Using can opener in right hand, remove lid.
    Pour contents into pan.
    Heat or "nuke" in the microwave. NOTE: If microwave use suitable microwaveable plate to prevent explosion.
    Pour soup into bowl and eat.

That's all Charissa.....(lol)

Hahahaha! Yeah but the fresher ones are just so amazing and so much better!
  • kmkgurl
    kmkgurl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I made cauliflower soup and it was amazing and if you add some bacon and cheese it taste like loaded baked potato soup its so good =)
  • apgabriel915
    apgabriel915 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE soup. It's my favorite thing to eat! Potato is my go to. So of course it was hard to eat with counting. I gave this one a shot and I was completely sold. I almost always have some frozen in my freezer and will take it for lunch. It keeps my full and it's so good!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1780245#_a5y_p=1170727
  • clauds2211
    clauds2211 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Sounds delish...
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This looks delicious! Holding the thread to come back to, will post great bean and adobo sauce soup later!
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    bumping for more soup ideas :)

I love the very quick, very easy Italian Wedding soup I make...

1 carton (tetra-pak) low-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 cup dehydrated vegetable mix (I buy mine at bulk barn)
    1/2 cup acini de pepe noodles (those tiny bitty ones that end up round when cooked)
    frozen prepared meatballs (I use the Kirkland Signature ones from Costco, 6 or so)
    frozen spinach nuggets, as many as desired, I use 3

Add everything except spinach to a large pot and bring to a low boil, until meatballs are heated through. Remove meatballs and cut into little pieces if desired. Add meatball pieces back in to pot, add spinach nuggets. Continue cooking until spinach has broken up and noodles are cooked.

Preparation takes less than 5 minutes, soup is ready to eat in about 20 minutes.
  • SuperC_85
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE soup. It's my favorite thing to eat! Potato is my go to. So of course it was hard to eat with counting. I gave this one a shot and I was completely sold. I almost always have some frozen in my freezer and will take it for lunch. It keeps my full and it's so good!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1780245#_a5y_p=1170727

Oooh all these potato soups look delicious!!

Im going to try out a potato and bacon soup tonight

Thanks for all the links! :happy:
  • ProjectMe73
    Options
    The lentil, kale, and carrot soup on Deliciously Organic is TOO DIE FOR! Even without the kale, if it's not in season.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bumping for more soup ideas :)

I love the very quick, very easy Italian Wedding soup I make...

1 carton (tetra-pak) low-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 cup dehydrated vegetable mix (I buy mine at bulk barn)
    1/2 cup acini de pepe noodles (those tiny bitty ones that end up round when cooked)
    frozen prepared meatballs (I use the Kirkland Signature ones from Costco, 6 or so)
    frozen spinach nuggets, as many as desired, I use 3

Add everything except spinach to a large pot and bring to a low boil, until meatballs are heated through. Remove meatballs and cut into little pieces if desired. Add meatball pieces back in to pot, add spinach nuggets. Continue cooking until spinach has broken up and noodles are cooked.

Preparation takes less than 5 minutes, soup is ready to eat in about 20 minutes.

Sounds yummy! Good for Soup and Sandwich Wednesday!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Bump!I LOVE soup!! Lentil on its own (well, with onions and bacon) or with whatever veg I have - yummy! :-)
  • arheasn
    arheasn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Some great sounding soups here. Bumping for later.
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    This is my fave winter soup. Especially good when you've got a cold. The cumun wafts up from the hot broth and clears your sinuses. Excellent stuff! First you make the meatballs, then you make the soup the meatballs live in.

Albondingas (Mexican Meatball Soup)

First make your meatballs

Meatballs

1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 egg, beaten
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 of a carrot, minced as fine as you can get it
    1/2 cup COOKED rice
    1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon ground cumin

Make 20-24 meatballs out of above, rolling them in your hands.

Then make your broth:

6 cups chicken stock (preferably home made, but canned will do in a pinch)
    1/2 a medium onion
    3 stalks celery
    3 roma tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped roughly
    1/2 cup cilantro, minced
    1 teaspoon cumin

a large zucchini, large dice
    salt and pepper to taste

Sautee the onion and celery in a nonstick pan just until it starts to get soft. Throw in the peeled tomato. Add the chicken stock and cilantro and everything else but the zucchini and bring this broth to a nice boil. Then reduce the heat to medium and keep it a good simmer for about 10 minutes.

Then drop in your meatballs, gently so they don't fall apart. Cook them for 10 minutes.

Lastly, add your diced zucchini and cook for 10 minutes.

All done!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This is my fave winter soup. Especially good when you've got a cold. The cumun wafts up from the hot broth and clears your sinuses. Excellent stuff! First you make the meatballs, then you make the soup the meatballs live in.

Albondingas (Mexican Meatball Soup)

First make your meatballs

Meatballs

1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 egg, beaten
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 of a carrot, minced as fine as you can get it
    1/2 cup COOKED rice
    1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon ground cumin

Make 20-24 meatballs out of above, rolling them in your hands.

Then make your broth:

6 cups chicken stock (preferably home made, but canned will do in a pinch)
    1/2 a medium onion
    3 stalks celery
    3 roma tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped roughly
    1/2 cup cilantro, minced
    1 teaspoon cumin

a large zucchini, large dice
    salt and pepper to taste

Sautee the onion and celery in a nonstick pan just until it starts to get soft. Throw in the peeled tomato. Add the chicken stock and cilantro and everything else but the zucchini and bring this broth to a nice boil. Then reduce the heat to medium and keep it a good simmer for about 10 minutes.

Then drop in your meatballs, gently so they don't fall apart. Cook them for 10 minutes.

Lastly, add your diced zucchini and cook for 10 minutes.

All done!

Sounds Devine, will DEFINATELY make.