What calorie counts are correct?

Options
allunits
allunits Posts: 95 Member
So I've been at this for a couple of weeks and I just got my food scale yesterday. The first shock was how much I've been overestimating portions for the last couple of weeks (for ex, 2oz of Kashi I was counting as 4oz!) BUT it still seems like I was eating a lot so I'm nervous to add even more food to my days because I don't know if the calorie counts are right. I've lost about 6 lbs.

Now that I'm getting the weight right, using the scale, how do I pick the right calories in MFP? Sometimes calories vary SO MUCH. For ex, I noticed that a cup of mashed potatoes is anywhere from 73-220 cals depending on the entry. So, how do I count correctly so I eat all my calories?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Compare the packaging to the MFP database and find the ones that match.

For things like mashed potatoes, you can enter in the recipe and the serving amounts, which will give you the calorie counts.

If you're having dinner away from home, just use something that seems to be about the equivalent. I usually try to overestimate for them, because obviously eyeballing things doesn't work well for me, lol. Accuracy isn't going to be 100% at those times, so just do the best guessing you can, log it and move on.

For restaurants, you can find nutritional information for most food chains online.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    In your mashed potatoes example, it can vary hugely depending on how the food was prepared.

Therefore, you need to either use the recipe builder (more convenient if you eat the same stuff a lot or need to divide the portion) or enter each ingredient separately (100g of raw potato, 10g butter, 30 ml skim milk, or whatever) each time. If you do this and don't use the user-submitted entries, you can get it right.

I always just use the verified (USDA if possible) or label-matching same-brand entries with everything I cook and just weigh it raw right before it goes in the pan/pot/etc. and log as I go. It's easy and fast and I'm used to it, so it works for me.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Read through the entries carefully. Pick the one with the most detailed description that most closely matches what you're eating. For example, a steamed or boiled vegetable will weigh more than it did raw. Also pick entries with a number of user confirmations. Using the database is a bit of an art.
  • brittany2188
    Options
    For things I can't find in the database, I use calorieking.com. Very helpful.
  • allunits
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I didn't know about the user confirmation. I will have to use recipes more and not worry about every calorie?
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    For fresh fruits/veggies and meats I always search for the USDA. Beyond that I just confirm what's on the package. For something prepped that has several ingredients I'll make a recipe.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I log all the ingredients separately. So for mashed potato I weigh/measure and log the potatoes, the butter and the milk. I tend to buy the same brands so the first time I log something I check the info on the packet then I don't need to do this again as the correct one will be in my recent items tab.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Since a lot of the entries are user entered, there is a lot of very bad and misleading info in the foods - you need to be careful to check, especially if you are using fresh foods, and making stuff yourself. Also, the quantities are allover the place - for example- 1 sweet potatoe - what does that mean??

To verify I use:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

USDA info -very very accurate site - you just have to pick the right amount of the food you are looking at.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Don't use cups use grams. Make sure the entries for things like "mashed potatoes" don't include things like butter, milk, etc because often that's the case. It sucks but use the recipe building feature or make your plate separate and weigh everything. That's if you need to be incredibly accurate, which not everyone does.
  • Betty_Rubble
    Betty_Rubble Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have found putting USDA in with the search gives back the most accurate data and is usually by grams and/or ounces.
  • allunits
    Options
    Nice! I didn't know I can enter USDA in the search box! Thanks again everyone!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
  • allunits
    Options
    Thanks! Sorry, I searched but didn't see it.
  • KateParker01
    KateParker01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know you didn't ask specifically about sodium, but 90% of the entries I find are wrong on their sodium counts - usually because people misinterpret the microgrammes on the package with the grams in the entry form. I have to correct something every single time I use the database, sigh!
  • allunits
    Options
    Thanks, Kate. Sodium is not one of my things, thankfully, and I'm usually way under, but always use up my sugar and fat, so I want to weigh for a while and learn portion sizes. This is very helpful.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So I've been at this for a couple of weeks and I just got my food scale yesterday. The first shock was how much I've been overestimating portions for the last couple of weeks (for ex, 2oz of Kashi I was counting as 4oz!) BUT it still seems like I was eating a lot so I'm nervous to add even more food to my days because I don't know if the calorie counts are right. I've lost about 6 lbs.

Now that I'm getting the weight right, using the scale, how do I pick the right calories in MFP? Sometimes calories vary SO MUCH. For ex, I noticed that a cup of mashed potatoes is anywhere from 73-220 cals depending on the entry. So, how do I count correctly so I eat all my calories?

For things like mashed potatoes or anything that you would be putting together your own ingredients, you are far better off either using the recipe builder or entering individual ingredients into your diary separately (i.e. 148 grams potatoes, 1 tsp butter, 1/4 cup 1% milk, etc). You have to realize that those types of entries you find in MFP are from various member recipes and you have absolutely no clue what they really put into them so you have no clue of the calorie counts are correct or not. Never use entries like "homemade chicken soup" that you didn't build yourself unless you are in a hurry and willing to be wrong.

For individual items I like to use "USDA"...i.e. Broccoli - USDA, Chicken Breast - USDA, etc.

For packaged commercial goods I've found some errors but for the most part I've found them to be accurate...I always checked the package against the entry to verify. Once you get going you will notice that you pretty much cycle through the same stuffs week in and week out so it'll get easier as many of your food items will be in the recently used and favorites tabs.