Preworkout supplement help

Options
I am looking for a good preworkout supplement that won't make my heart race, doesn't taste terrible, and isn't chalked full of added chemicals and dyes (doesn't have to be 100% natural or organic, just not overly processed). Does this even exist? I haven't had much luck finding out info online. I am a 29yr old female, weight lifts 4x/wk, cardio 2x/wk, and never used supplements before except for whey protein shakes. I don't have the time to workout in the morning when my energy is highest and then get ready in business attire and long commute to work, so I have to workout when I get home from work and my energy is way down. Any suggestions are appreciated! And yes I know coffee, apples, bananas, oatmeal, ect would give me energy... but I already eat a light dinner before workouts (lean protein, veggies) and a snack or shake afterwards. I'm looking for a bigger energy boost than that :)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to plain old fashioned "just do it"

but most people don't like that.

Otherwise coffee is a good start- everything else is just some form of hyped upped caffeine anyway.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Coffee. Or caffeine pills. That's pretty much the main ingredient in all pre-workouts and you can control the amount to avoid jitters.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Vit-B complex
  • ba5083
    ba5083 Posts: 3
    Options
    Preworkouts are designed and formulated for different needs. Some are loaded with caffeine and other stimulants and others have no caffeine or less than a cup of coffee. Most people immediately think Pre Workouts are only designed or formulated for energy which is not necessarily the case. So my question for you would be why are you wanting to take a pre workout and what do you hope to get out of taking a preworkout. If you are looking for endurance and quick recovery between sets a BCAA that includes Beta Alanine would do it. This will also help in muscle recovery between workouts as well. The biggest problem with BCAAs are that they are very hard to flavor and a capsule form IMO do not work as well. For most females I recommend Endurance BCAA Plus because they don't want the creatine and nitric oxide that most PWOs have. Before you buy anything look around for some samples. Most companies will sell samples for you to try especially if your a taste sensitive. Keep in mind that most PWO's are formulated for men who have far fewer taste buds than women.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Preworkouts are designed and formulated for different needs. Some are loaded with caffeine and other stimulants and others have no caffeine or less than a cup of coffee. Most people immediately think Pre Workouts are only designed or formulated for energy which is not necessarily the case. So my question for you would be why are you wanting to take a pre workout and what do you hope to get out of taking a preworkout. If you are looking for endurance and quick recovery between sets a BCAA that includes Beta Alanine would do it. This will also help in muscle recovery between workouts as well. The biggest problem with BCAAs are that they are very hard to flavor and a capsule form IMO do not work as well. For most females I recommend Endurance BCAA Plus because they don't want the creatine and nitric oxide that most PWOs have. Before you buy anything look around for some samples. Most companies will sell samples for you to try especially if your a taste sensitive. Keep in mind that most PWO's are formulated for men who have far fewer taste buds than women.

I assumed based on the info she provided in her OP - "so I have to workout when I get home from work and my energy is way down."- that she is looking specifically for energy.
  • kristacky
    kristacky Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, looking for energy but I DID forget to mention I prefer caffeine/stimulant free. And as for what I hope to gain from using a preworkout, I'm not working out to just get skinny. I actually like my size but want to have nice muscle tone, hence the 4x/wk weight lifting, but not be big either. I stopped by my local GNC store to talk to the reps and got some good info but still not sure what to try. I especially hate to spend $40-60 on something that may taste terrible or I might not like the effect it has. I guess I will need to look for sample sizes to purchase if possible. As far as what I've read for stimulant free, people have mentioned Hemavol, Ultima, Body Forge, and White Blood 2 as being good ones. Anyone personally try any of these?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yes, looking for energy but I DID forget to mention I prefer caffeine/stimulant free. And as for what I hope to gain from using a preworkout, I'm not working out to just get skinny. I actually like my size but want to have nice muscle tone, hence the 4x/wk weight lifting, but not be big either. I stopped by my local GNC store to talk to the reps and got some good info but still not sure what to try. I especially hate to spend $40-60 on something that may taste terrible or I might not like the effect it has. I guess I will need to look for sample sizes to purchase if possible. As far as what I've read for stimulant free, people have mentioned Hemavol, Ultima, Body Forge, and White Blood 2 as being good ones. Anyone personally try any of these?

Ultima is ok, but pricey. Hemavol isn't bad but more of a pump product than anything
  • kristacky
    kristacky Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I still wasn't sure what to try and I'm always for going natural when possible so I bought a few vitamins to try instead of name brand workout supplements. I got a B complex, Ginseng, and L-Arganine - so we'll see if that helps or not today when I first take them. Thanks for all the help and info!