Hello, I'm new to MFP!

SO, I have been reading through these message boards, reading ALOT. Curious about other people's methods, success's, what works vs. what doesn't seem to work etc. I have read some very uplifting messages on here and it's just amazing. I am looking to find more people to buddy with on MFP and to be an additional motivator and listener.

I know that right now I weigh 219.7, Started at 223 on March 18, 2014. Small steps, better I hear. I am totally freaked out to do measuring though, not even sure how. I'm not sure I wanna know just how many inches everything is, the 223 number was depressing enough. Size 17ish in jeans. BOOOOOO

I am a 30 year old mother of 2 from Seattle area and I am looking to make some new friends to be able to share stories and words of encouragement with. I have friend requested a couple people in my area but I think they maybe thought I was a weirdo or something as I have not heard anything lol. So I decided to go to message boards and figured, these are some people who like to talk and make friends and be encouraging and thought that maybe this was the better way to go haha.

I guess that I am looking for words of wisdom and to be able to share this experience with others, I am finding it very difficult and I don't know too many people who are doing the MFP and who can relate to what I am talking about and how hard this is for me to stick to.

I am pretty shy and self conscious which leads me to be a bit reserved. The thing is, today is my dauhgters bday and she told me 1 girl can't come to her party because her parents do not know me, and another girl cannot do the sleepover part because they do not know me. (Totally understand the latter) But I just wish I was more social and outgoing to put myself out there to people. Hoping the weight loss will make me think more of myself and make not so awkward and shy. It has definitely helped me step my game up seeing her disappointment yesterday. Feel awful

Replies

• brieskie
    brieskie Posts: 33
    Hi there! Welcome to the beginning! I would love to be your MFP buddy,
    I'm always in the need of new motivating factors and more friends on the ap!
    My tip for measuring is a) look online for how and b) don't cheat yourself.. No sucking in or pulling tight. I did when I first started my journey and it's harder // impossible to see the loss. Take a nasty before picture (just for you) and them notice the changes take place! I measured everything in the beginning... And it's really given me a good picture, my best tip for thighs/calves is 15cm from knee.. You need to measure in the same place. Can't wait see your progress!!
  • Danishaeg
    Danishaeg Posts: 14
    Hi Tina,
    I'll add you. I don't get on the message boards much but I do have MFP on my phone and I'm on every day and keep up with the friends I have. I am 37 and a mother of 3 (older children). I started with MFP over a year ago and was so frustrated about all my failed attempts to shed weight. I started at 239 pounds. I am now at about 65 pounds lost and slowly still going. I know MFP helped with the tracking and the support. I would be happy to help.
    This is what helped me:
    1. set small goals and not focusing on the big ones,
    2. allow myself one meal a week were I don't count calories generaly if it is a social thing,
    3. I try not to let myself feel guilty. If I eat some girl scout cookies I say ok, log it, I went over for the day but i'm not going to let it ruin my whole day. Eat my regular healthy plan (don't starve to make up for it) and move on. Nobody is perfect. I only have to do great 80% of the time and I didn't get my size by messing up on one meal, I got that way by messing up on every meal. One is not going to kill it. (by the way, this happened less and less as I went).
    4. knowing I am worth this and my family is worth me getting healthy
    Everyone need support! You can do this!!!
  • nmcrosier
    nmcrosier Posts: 268 Member
    Well I think you are in the right place, most people I have encountered on this site are beyond helpful and really encouraging! :)

It takes time, like all processes to put yourself out there. It's kind of nice some times the anonymity of being on a world wide board too. You can express yourself without feeling the need to hold back.

As a mom myself, who hit 41 like a brickwall. I knew I was fat and it was bad, discouraging and all the other feelings you expressed. But like you - I've found this board and am tracking my food - talking to others for support and encouragment - and have been more successful on this site & plan - than any other. 21 #s down - yahoo! 40 more to go. So that's 1/3 down! Keep plugging away even if you stumble - like all things in life.

I wouldn't worry about the kid thing, I live in a pretty affluent community - and way too clicky. The mom of some of my sons friends don't work and all play tennis together or hang out at Starbucks - some are complete snobs - and I'm ok not being friends with those moms (nor having their kids around either). Kids in general get each other, the more involved you are in their lives and your girls become with others - the rest will come. Maybe open the door a bit more by going to class events, it's amazing how many moms are there and even just standing next to them and add a word or two to a conversation can help to open you and your daughters circles. :)
  • Nele55
    Nele55 Posts: 1 Member
    mmmmm.... I would be another newbie who is looking for friends to walk with me through this... I have struggled with my weight since the birth of my first child... before that I could eat whatever I wanted and was a slim 120 lbs., which was a perfect weight for my 5'7" frame.

NOW... 32 years later and multiple unsuccessuful diets, I am a whopping 259 lbs.... my knees ache, my back hurts, I have no energy, I'm on blood medication and I watch life go by, instead of living it..

I know that all of this is because of my weight and I want to change..

I am inspired by your stories and want the success you have found. If so many have been successful, why can't I??????