In the search for a heart rate monitor

Options
I want to keep track of how many calories I burn as accurate as possible. I know it might be impossible to really now how many calories I burn exactly. Any suggestions where i can buy one or order one online. I don't want a real expensive one just one that does the job because i am tight on money. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    polar FT4 or FT7 search amazon. good luck. =)
  • briggitte59
    briggitte59 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    now is it worth it ?
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you do a lot of cardio, yes. That is the only time they are helpful/accurate.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If you do a lot of cardio, yes. That is the only time they are helpful/accurate.

yes, I only do running and walking so a HRM works for me. if you do other types of exercise like lifting weights i assume you would just have to calculate it.
  • kadamson223
    kadamson223 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, which i bought a month ago after my best friend told me all about hers, which she has had for years and absolutely loves. She swears it is what helped her lose all the weight she did, it's so nice to know ho many calories you burned vs. guessing. Also, it shows you your heart rate consistently on the face while you're working out, so you can keep track, and work harder if you want it to be higher. When you're not working out, it bonuses as a watch :-) I love it!
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, which i bought a month ago after my best friend told me all about hers, which she has had for years and absolutely loves. She swears it is what helped her lose all the weight she did, it's so nice to know ho many calories you burned vs. guessing. Also, it shows you your heart rate consistently on the face while you're working out, so you can keep track, and work harder if you want it to be higher. When you're not working out, it bonuses as a watch :-) I love it!

I have this one too and love it!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If your main purpose is calorie estimate accuracy, then you require a model with VO2max stat and self-test.

The cheapest there was the Polar RS300X. FT40 and FT60 are along those lines too.

The cheaper Polars (FT4/FT7) don't have that stat, and make a bunch of assumptions that can get wildly inaccurate, actually on the under-estimating side of things, because you can get fit faster than you can lose weight.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have a Mio Alpha wrist HRM that i pair with Digifit on my iPhone and have been pretty happy with it. It holds a charge for a long time,is reliable, and convenient (since it doesn't have a chest strap). It was a bit pricey at $200 around Christmas, but I think its gone down since.
  • erica5520
    erica5520 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT7 and love it, works for what I am doing - cardio 4-5 times/week.
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also have and vouch for the polar FT7. It is usually $60-80 on Amazon depending on the color/if it is on sale.