Septum&Sinus Surgery + Motivation

Options
I feel like I have been a plateau the past months - part of that is my own doing though. Positive I guess is that I didn't gain anything on vacation which is a miracle considering. Lost 2 pounds maybe during the month of February. Had a hard time getting going after Christmas/New Years but slowly.

I am having surgery in 2 weeks for a deviated septum and other sinus issues. Pretty nervous! I can't do much for 2 weeks. It won't be fully healed apparently for 6 weeks. Anyone have this done? Anything I should know. Light exercises or movement I can do or should not do.

Thanks!

Rebecca

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I had a nose job a few years ago. While it isn't the most painful surgery I've had (the rest were medical), it'll still be a good idea to keep strenuous activity to a minimum. Walking should be fine, and at least you'll be doing something. On the plus side, your sense of smell influences your appetite, so you might discover a decrease in cravings while you're healing.
  • Rmazula
    Rmazula Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I get stir crazy if I can't do a good amount of moving. As much as it's not great to lose weight through surgery, as long as I don't put on pounds after it from the yo-yoness of it, I am good. Just have to focus on getting nutrients. Were you on a liquid/soft foods diet for the first few days? I remember when I was young to get nutrients after a surgery my mom made mashed cauliflower and other stuff - it actually didn't taste too bad considering I had no idea what I was eating :)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I've had sinus surgery a number of times for nasal/sinus polyps.
    Please follow your dr post OP instruction exactly no matter how much you want to get moving!
    My dr told me not to fold laundry till a full week passed after one surgery. On the 6th day, I stupidly folded laundry cause I couldn't see the point of not doing it as I felt fine.
    Well, my nose started bleeding and I ended up back in the hospital due to the post op bleed and had to have a clot removed and I needed 2 pints of blood.
    My dr told me folding laundry makes you tilt your head down for too long.
    Everything turned out ok but I didn't need to go through that, lol!
    Listen to your doc-no one else!
    The surgeries themselves were fine and I always asked for an anti-nausea drug along with the anesthesia-I had general anesthesia.
    Best wishes for a quick recovery!
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    HealthyGreek is right. Definitely follow your docs advice over mine. And the anti nausea drugs can be lifesavers if the pain medicine makes you ill. Everyone is going to heal differently. My friend had a much harder time with hers, even though she didn't have to have bones broken like me.

I had my surgery the day before Halloween, so I remember eating candy! Not much else since I wasn't that hungry.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I worked for an ENT doctor for years. Most healthy younger people started exercising after one full week after surgery (this is AFTER the post operative appointment where your doctor CLEARS you do be able to do this)

As for people over the age of 35, the doctor recommended a more conservative recovery and some were not able to exercise for 2-3 full weeks.

Don't be nervous, it's a very common surgery and the recovery is swift in comparison to most surgeries. You'll do great! And you'll be back to exercising like normal in no time!

During this time, focus more on diet than burning calories through physical activity and it shouldn't disrupt your weight loss efforts at all :)
  • Rmazula
    Options
    Thanks guys :) Eager to get to next week so I can have it over with and start recovery ... and be able to breathe again!
  • Rmazula
    Options
    I was SO not prepared for this recovery. It's been a week and the fatigue is worse than the swelling etc. Managing to get in my calories finally though - even though my front 2 teeth and gums really hurt from the surgery. Proud of myself when I get the tiny-est things done. Like unloading the dishwasher and folding clothes, lol.