Tandoori Chicken

Options
HipsterWhovian
HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
I really love curries - mild ones though, I can't do spicy food! - but I always cook too much, and they're always quite heavy with a rich sauce. When I go out for curry, my dad always has a tandoori chicken because he doesn't like the creamy sauces, so I thought I'd give it a go at home. This is what I created - it's really yummy!

175g chicken breast
2.5 tbsp lemon juice
25g onion
1tbsp smoked paprika
100g Fage 0% Greek Yoghurt
5g garlic puree
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
(Obviously, you can add chilli powder and more spice to suit your taste - like I said, I don't do spicy!)

Cut the chicken breast into four strips.
Mix the smoked paprika, lemon juice and onion together, then add the chicken. Mix it well so the chicken is well covered, and leave for 10 minutes.
Combine the yoghurt, garlic and spices, then pour it onto the chicken and mix again. Leave in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour.
I used a George Foreman grill to cook my chicken - I heated it up and basically plopped the chicken onto it, closed it up and left it for about 10 minutes. I would advise on lightly greasing the grill before putting the chicken on, as mine decided to stick to the lid!
If you don't have a George Foreman, you should be able to use a normal grill and just turn them to cook them evenly.
And that's it! I had mine with homemade roti bread, and it was really filling. Mine was quite sweet, with a gentle warmth, but not very spicy at all.

Calories: 326
Protein: 51.4g (!!!)
Carbs: 13.1g
Sugar: 5.8g
Fibre: 3.7g
Fat: 8.7g
Saturated Fat: 2.1g
Sodium: 48mg

Enjoy!

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I buy a paste at our local store for tandoori and mix 1 T with yogurt and marinate. I love this because it has garam masala in it which is a heavenly blend of cumin, coriander and ginger. Your recipe sounds wonderful too. Now I'm hungry for it.
  • HipsterWhovian
    Options
    The original recipe I found used garam masala. I didn't have any, and didn't buy it because I can't stand coriander! That's why I used a mixture of spices instead.
  • Fiery_Vixen
    Fiery_Vixen Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Saved it...I love Indian food!!! Now how about that frosting cake recipe you were mentioning earlier...?
  • wow super easy! I want to try it! Thank you!
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    BUMP to add to my shopping list this weekend!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, had Tandoori Chicken for the first time this weekend. Can't wait to try this!!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I want to try this recipe. I love tandoori chicken.
  • HipsterWhovian
    Options
    Thanks! Saved it...I love Indian food!!! Now how about that frosting cake recipe you were mentioning earlier...?

It's coming!
  • russeln
    russeln Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, I've been out for a curry tonight, I like them hot, but I can never eat a full one anymore, so it's a 'doggy bag' for me now a days. :))
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Sounds fantastic!
  • tlr1961
    tlr1961 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump