Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

1 month Plateau! So frustrated

I've been logged into Myfitnesspal, tracking all my food for almost 2 months. Generally when I finish my log at the end of the day, it says that if I eat like "this" everyday I'll be a certain weight in 5 weeks (usually projected to be 10lbs less than I am)

I STILL haven't hit that goal. I do nothing but fluctuate between 140 and 134lbs (I'm 5'4")

I am meticulous with my entries and never forget to log anything in. I don't know what else I can do to move past this plateau !!

My diary is public, so anyone can take a look, but please help. I've been trying to follow a Keto friendly diet.

Thanks !!

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    (1) Are you using a food scale? A lot of your entries look either estimated or incomplete. If you don't have one, invest in one. they're $20.

(2) Why is your calorie goal 850 a day? You are a healthy weight. If you wish to drop some body fat, I'd recommend a calorie deficit of NO MORE than 500 calorie a day. 250 would be even better. You'd see slower results but it would be less miserable.

Your sedentary TDEE is around 1650. A goal of 1200, PLUS eating exercise calories, would be the largest deficit I'd do.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    WHY is your calorie goal less than 900 calories per day? Did your doctor recommend that amount of calories to lose only 10-20 pounds? That is INSANE.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    If you were truly eating 900 calories you would be losing weight no question. Something is off. You must be underestimating your intake. As someone else said you should really use a food scale.
  • deksgrl
    If you were truly eating 900 calories you would be losing weight no question. Something is off. You must be underestimating your intake. As someone else said you should really use a food scale.

She has known hormonal issues. The Very Low Calorie Diet can be contributing to the hormonal issues.

Yes, use a food scale.

Set MFP to lose half a pound a week, how many calories does it say to eat?
  • I am estimating amounts of food, but I don't think I am too bad.

I am eating that calorie limit because it just seemed to be the ideal goal, maybe I'm looking to lose too much too fast? I've never had any luck with eating more than 1,000 - I always gain or stay the same
  • deksgrl
    Yes, you are aiming to lose too much too fast. Honestly, you should see a nutritionist to determine the amount you should eat, taking into consideration your hormonal issues. You can be making it worse by eating too little. But, if you are not weighing your food, it is likely you are eating more than you think.
  • ShannonMpls
    Yes, you are aiming to lose too much too fast. Honestly, you should see a nutritionist to determine the amount you should eat, taking into consideration your hormonal issues. You can be making it worse by eating too little. But, if you are not weighing your food, it is likely you are eating more than you think.

^^ this. PCOS complicates things but 900 calories a day is really, really low. Especially since you're at a healthy weight already!
  • AshleyArleneNP
    AshleyArleneNP Posts: 77 Member
    I plateaued for a month and my trainer recommended I do a zig-zag calorie plan. It consistes of 2 lower days, high day, 2 lower days, medium day and repeat.
    You can find it online
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    What is your actual goal, OP? Are you striving for a certain "look" or a number on the scale?

I ask, because at your current weight, if you just want to "look" a certain way, losing more weight might not be necessary.

ETA: Eyeballing is not logging meticulously, btw. That's guessing.
  • Travelbug1955
    Travelbug1955 Posts: 61 Member
    Like you, I was on a plateau that lasted for over 1 month. I dropped my calories to 500-600 a day and added 2 miles to my walk. I walk almost everyday and my weight has started to go down. My doctor approves of what I did.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    From the Attain Fertility site, re PCOS:

PCOS Diet Tip 1: Stop deprivation dieting.
    What does the word “diet” mean to you? The real definition of “diet” means nourishment or nutrition. This implies health and wellness—not starvation. Yet so many popular diets today are associated with pain and distress. On the contrary, healthy eating can and should be enjoyable.

Visit your local health food store for ideas on how to incorporate delicious natural foods like lentils, vegetables, and local, organic ingredients into your daily meals. Many health food stores offer delis and take-home fresh food items that can make your PCOS diet food preparations easier.

PCOS Diet Tip 2: Control your blood sugar.
    Weight gain with PCOS can be linked to abnormalities in insulin and glucose metabolism. Insulin’s main job is to control your blood sugar. But insulin also signals your body to store fat. High levels of insulin increase the production of androgens, which can worsen PCOS symptoms.

With insulin resistance (IR), your blood sugar levels rise in spite of high levels of insulin. Eventually type 2 diabetes may result. Yet positive changes in diet and exercise may postpone the development of diabetes. A PCOS diet reducing the amount of sugary carbs that you eat may offer the weight-loss benefits you seek.

To make these healthy PCOS diet changes, cut out white breads, pasta, potatoes, cereals, and some fruits and snack foods. Replace those items with healthy PCOS diet options like the following:
    •Nutrient dense, high-fiber carbs
    •Foods high in protein (lean meats, legumes)
    •Foods containing healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, fish)

Ask your doctor or a registered dietitian for a list of foods to try and a list of foods to avoid. And try to eat mini-meals throughout the day to keep your blood sugar levels even.

PCOS Diet TIP 3: Exercise daily.
    OK, we know that exercise is not a diet tip, but if you are looking to burn calories, you must exercise every day! Check in with your doctor first, and once you have the go-ahead, get moving. Exercise is a perfect accompaniment to a PCOS diet, especially for women with PCOS and insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes. Regular exercise is wonderful and necessary for all of us, and here are some reasons why.

Exercise:
    •Regulates blood glucose levels
    •Offers a mood boost
    •Increases endorphins (the body’s natural opioids)
    •Gets us in top physical shape for pregnancy
    •Increases weight loss

Also, being physically fit may help you carry a healthy baby to term and have an uncomplicated delivery.

PCOS Diet Tip 4: Evaluate your relationship with food.
    If you live to eat and want to be successful with a PCOS diet…you must rethink your relationship with food. Some women use food as a reward for an accomplishment or for emotional solace when they feel lonely or blue. Other women live for the next meal at their favorite restaurant or use food as a way to bring family and friends together.

To lose weight on a PCOS diet, reframe your thinking to eating to live, not living to eat. Choose foods that are filling and nutrient dense. Instead of party food, junk food, or comfort food that only adds more fat and pounds, eat food that will nourish your body. Having said that, it is perfectly fine to enjoy delicious, rich foods on occasion, but only in moderation! And certainly not every day. If you have an unhealthy relationship with food, like binge eating, purging, or starving yourself, help is available.

You should talk to your doctor and run all this by him, including your current calorie intake, but a VLCD is counterproductive to all of this advice above about PCOS. With that small amount to lose, you should be taking only about 5% off of your daily calorie expenditure, probably close to 1500 a day or more. Anything under 1200 net is going to cause you longterm problems, nutritionally and hormonally, which will only make the PCOS worse. Stop estimating and start logging accurately. Google bodyweight exercises on youtube and do them in your room. You have 20 minutes a day for that. Everybody does.

Best of luck.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Like you, I was on a plateau that lasted for over 1 month. I dropped my calories to 500-600 a day and added 2 miles to my walk. I walk almost everyday and my weight has started to go down. My doctor approves of what I did.

What? 500-600 calories TOTAL?

Your doctor is a moron, if that's the case. 500 is less than 33% of what I need for my vital organs to function and me to stay alive.
  • ShannonMpls

I'd rather be fat, and I mean that quite honestly.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member

Does your doctor have a "medical degree" ?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member

Seriously? Even if your doctor did approve it FOR YOU, it doesn't mean you should go around telling other people it's ok to do this. You're encouraging unhealthy eating which happens to be a violation of MFP community guidelines. Quit it!
  • AV1978az
    AV1978az Posts: 25 Member
    What i see, and take it from a guy whos lost 40lbs in one sitting, Is mainly you are eating too little so your body is holding onto whatever it can get, and the foods you are eating are not the right kind.

200 Calories is not enough for a meal. EVER.

You should be taking in at least 1600 Calories per day of Real food.

My breakfast in the morning usually consists of a protein, some carbs, and lots of veggies. I stay away from sugar and processed and/or refined products.

A Typical breakfast for me can mean some Steel Oats, with some fruit, and 2 eggs with some sort of veggy mixed in, Kale, etc and at least 40 ounces of water.

After my breakfast i get on my bicycle and commute 7.6 miles each way to work, varying my route each day so i don't get bored. I drink 20 ounces of water during the commute and hit up a Suja Green Supreme, or Fuel after my initial ride to work for recovery.

Your lunches are filled with processed lunch meat, which is high in preservatives and low in nutritional content. If you want to stay away from Red Meat look at introducing actual chicken breast, or turkey, or a fish item (Salmon, Tuna, Cod). More veggies here. I will usually eat steamed broccoli or something else rich in protein and nutrients. And 40 ounces of water again. Throw out the processed ****. Even Boars head can be a terrible choice. Think pink slime and preservatives which equate to flab on your hips and *kitten* and tummy.

Usually after work, i commute home on my bicycle. Another 20-40 ounces of water as its hotter and im sweating more. When i get home i grab 2TBS of peanut butter. I like the fresh ground from whole foods as i get none of the **** from a major store brought brand. If im feeling wiped out from my ride i add in a banana. Some quick natural sugar.

After that i hit up Rockstar Bootcamp (http://www.rockstarbootcamp.net) and do a 45 minute high intensity cardio or strength workout. Plenty of Water, Followed by some Organic Chocolate milk for my recovery.

I also alternate Strength 5x5 every other day for weight lifting and muscle building.

Bottom line is you need to fuel your body way better. I may not look like it at 300lbs but im quickly getting back into my routing from almost 400. I broke my foot last year and took 8 months off. Now im back at it with a fury.
  • jld0411
    jld0411 Posts: 29 Member
    The first thing that jumped out at me is how little you're eating. That could be what others have already pointed out - if you're eyeballing it, you really don't know for sure. For example, for a while I was eyeballing my coffee creamer. I figured it was ABOUT a tablespoon. Once I measured, I was actually putting about 2 1/2 tablespoons in each cup. That's a HUGE difference.

Second, I'm sure you've heard the expression "You have to eat to lose." It's counter-intuitive, especially when you consider calories in, calories out. That being said, calories should come from nutrient dense foods, not just hit the number of calories and stop for the day.

I don't claim to be a nutritionist, and if you have special dietary needs it may be worth consulting one. However, I can speak from personal experience that if I'm not eating enough I will NOT lose the weight. It's the whole primal survival concept - if the body thinks it's going to starve, it's going to hold on to that fat so it won't. I have found that for me personally, when I eat quality foods at regular intervals, I feel better, have more energy, and the weight comes off more easily. Regular eating ramps up the metabolism, and the body isn't afraid to let go of the fat because it learns more is on the way. For me personally, I exercise a minimum of 30 minutes per day (and I try to get in closer to an hour), and I eat between 250-350 calories every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, with a balance of carbs, protein and healthy fat. My net calorie goal is 1200, and my actual calorie consumption is usually between 1500 and 1700. I've lost 7 pounds this month (my profile doesn't accurately reflect my "starting" point).

Another question - are you exercising or just using a calorie deficit? Any amount of exercise is going to help. The more lean muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn at rest.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Oh FFS, she is probably plateaued because she is eating more than she thinks due to eyeballing her food, NOT because she's in starvation mode or causing metabolic damage.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Oh FFS, she is probably plateaued because she is eating more than she thinks due to eyeballing her food, NOT because she's in starvation mode or causing metabolic damage.

Pretty much.
  • AV1978az
    AV1978az Posts: 25 Member

Have you actually looked at her Diary? Are are you just assuming. I went 30 days back. If she's as accurate as she says she is then she actually does have an issue.