I keep falling off the wagon!

Options
So I lost 4lbs and then stopped dieting completely. And tracking my food as for some dumb reason I thought the weight would just fall of on its own. Which I now know is not the case. I'm back up to 168.5lbs. I get into this routine where I just don't bother for a week and don't do anything and eat whatever I want to eat.:sad: :sad:
I really don't know what to do to kick start myself to be motivated.
Looking for some motivational friends. :smile:

Replies

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Do you WANT the change? Do you REALLY want it? Deep deep down you have to WANT this and really know WHY you want it in order to stick with it. We can help, and we're willing too, but if you can't ever get past 4 pounds, it sounds like it doesn't matter enough to You.

Yes, I'm trying to get to your head. When you answer Yes, get Fired up then write it down and REMEMBER that on the days "you don't feel like it"..... We ALL get to where we don't Feel like it. But we do it anyways.

you CAN do it!
  • Conquer14
    Conquer14 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I started at 158 and have only lost 2lbs. Started 24 days ago. Yes, it is my own fault. Going to try and do better!
  • shelisa619
    shelisa619 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    YEESSSS! I definitely want this. Thanks for the motivation. It fired me up. :))
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It's not easy. Nothing worthwhile ever IS easy. I struggle too, because I just love food. I find that exercise is VITAL. Not only do you feel better, but you look better, you sleep better, you lose weight easier. And it allows some extra calories for that "extra" eating. Feel free to add me too!

And by the way, I lost 25lbs between May and October of 2013 and have gained about 15 of it back, so I know what it's like. Winter about did me in!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    No-one can do it for you, it takes hard work and dedication. Everyone is here for the same reason, if we can do it so can you :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was the same way before too. This part can be discouraging, but sometimes little goals are really helpful. If you think, oh, I want to lose 1 pound by the end of the month, it is easier to stick to the routine than saying, oh, i need to lose 10 pounds by the end of this month. If you have an article of clothing that is a little small for you, the motivation can be to stay on track and try it on every day until it fits. I would love to help motivate you. I started on this site in I think a few years ago. My starting weight was 280 or 260 ish. It took me may false starts before I realized I wanted to change for health and not for vanity. Everyone has that thing that will motivate them. Having positive mfp friends helps too!
  • The_GingerBeard_Man
    The_GingerBeard_Man Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Put up reminders. Even little things like signs that say, "Do you really want this?" on the fridge and cabinets.

Put reminders to track your cals in your phone so an alarm goes off, until it becomes habit.

Try a daily affirmation when you wake up reminding yourself of what your goals are.

Post your goals where you can see them everyday, like in your work station.
  • brc912
    brc912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What I do when I feel like giving up or having something I shouldn't, I ask myself "Is eating this worth putting the weight back on?" The answer is almost ALWAYS NO! So I put it down and walk away. Sometimes I have a lapse in judgment, but I try not to let 1 or 2 bad decisions snowball into a week of bad decisions. Always know that you can jump right back into it the very next meal!!! You CAN do this, you just have to WANT IT!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to ride in the wagon and just walk the trail. Burns more calories that way.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Saw this the other day and immediately wrote it down and put it on my mirror.

Losing weight is hard.
    Maintaining weight is hard.
    Staying overweight is hard.
    CHOOSE YOUR HARD!

Seriously, it's all hard so which one would you rather have??
  • SaraC1977
    SaraC1977 Posts: 51
    Options
    It's not just about the will, it's about making it easier to make the correct food choices. What I'm saying is that you have to plan ahead, otherwise you're setting yourself up for failure. I used to go on and on about all the things I couldn't have instead of thinking of the things I can have that I really like. For the "bad" items, I've learned ways to make healthier versions. Go shopping on say, Sunday and then plan out what you want to make for the week. Wash all the fruits/veggies and chop them up right away. Make your lunch and breakfast the night before so if you're rushing out in the morning, you can just grab it. I found that those days I was running late, if I didn't bring my lunch or breakfast, I was more likely to stop and get Dunkin Donuts or go to McDonald's for lunch. I'm not saying those are bad places but I wasn't eating healthy food there: donuts and fries are not great foods health wise!
    I also go out a lot, both to parties and restaurants. I make sure they take the bread away right away. I sometimes look at the menu ahead of time so I will not be tempted by the menu once I get there. I might order a steak, but won't get fries; instead I'll get broiled asparagus or mixed veggies. If it's a place I know I want to splurge, I may lower my calories for lunch and breakfast (no snacks), so that I can splurge on say cheesecake or fries. It's all about balance and doing it long term. Parties are harder because you don't really have any control over what people put out. Mostly, it's chips and dips, pizza, and other fatty/fried foods. I usually can't resist that stuff so I will have it in moderation. But then I make sure I work out the next day to negate those extra calories.
    Hopefully, that helps.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i have to keep telling myself "NO MORE EXECUSES" there are alot of times i don't want to work out or eat right and keep telling myself this and also have started telling my "I CAN DO THIS" especially when it comes to working out...

good luck and feel free to add me
  • klbutler91
    klbutler91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You just have to get up and do it ! I have a pair of skinny jeans i WILL fit in to by summer. and most of my clothes that were way to tight fit now. Just think of how good you feel when you lose weight, and youre small accomplishments. I started at 185 and now im at 168 just like you !

Just be positive and stick with it !
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Do you WANT the change? Do you REALLY want it? Deep deep down you have to WANT this and really know WHY you want it in order to stick with it. We can help, and we're willing too, but if you can't ever get past 4 pounds, it sounds like it doesn't matter enough to You.

I am not trying to say this isn't completely false but I hated this saying and on motivational posters. I always thought 'well maybe I don't want it that much, because I can't stick at it I musn't want it that much and I am not a strong person'. But this wasn't true, when I started my diet (for no particular reason), I found it was a lot easier than I thought, I wasn't starving all the time. I assumed I would have to eat plain salad for 1 meal, but I didn't. I can have cake and chocolate everyday if I plan for it.

Remember that it isn't that bad! You have lost 4 pounds, it wasn't that bad! Just the same amount of time and it will become 8 etc. Slow and steady and it will come off. Swap one meal for a low calorie meal and fill your plate with salad so it looks big. I have found that a lot of dieting is psychology, if it looks big it will make you fuller than something that looks small.
  • valeriemcmichael77
    Options
    Hey, that helped me too!!! It's really true. Unless I keep myself on track, no one can do it for me.
  • iknowit
    iknowit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Stop making excuses for yourself. No one can motivate you besides yourself. Think long -term.
  • shelisa619
    shelisa619 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    True.
  • valeriemcmichael77
    Options
    Hey, thanks. Your words have inspired me too. I am having the same problem as shelisa619.
  • valeriemcmichael77
    Options
    Good advice!!!!!
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Start slowly, there's no need to rush a life change. Start off by cutting 100kcal for a week, then increase it to 150kcal the following week and then 200kcal the 3rd week, you get the idea. Do this until you reach a 500kcal deficit. I believe you can slowly adapt to the new change this way seeing as it's proven difficult to just jump into it.

Don't feel like you have to start exercising straight away too. Do it only when you feel that you are ready. Of course it is good if you start at the same time but no one will stick to something long term where there is no passion for it. I didn't start to exercise until i had lost 20lbs and i'm glad i took my time because i hated the idea of exercise since i hated running but when i discovered the cross trainer, i knew i found something i could stick to. Do things at your own pace and convenience, never at someone else's.

Good luck