dieting gym 4 3wks not lost a pound what am I doing wrong?

Options
So like it says in the title I've been dieting and exercising for the past 3 wks n not lost even a pound!! I weigh myself at the gym every Friday on the machine that tells you your body fat etc.. and my weight is still the same! What am I doing wrong?? Originally my body fat was 29.9% n now it says it's 25.6% but my weight is still the same I just don't understand could any of you more experienced people advise me please. Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
  • olly2468
    olly2468 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It varies from day 2 day but no more than 1200 cals.
  • onelov3
    onelov3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue with losing weight is calories in versus calories out. I'm not sure how many calories you are taking in, but you need to be at a deficit if you want to lose anything. Find your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) via fitnessfrog and subtract 15-20%.

Editted because I had a blonde moment. Sorry bout that, it happens.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    1) The gym scale is unlikely to be accurate. Invest in your own. Even in gyms where they calibrate the scale daily, I have heard the staff say it doesn't really work properly.

2) Whatever the gym scale says your body fat is, it is unlikely to be accurate. Measuring body fat is a very precise thing and the simple fact is that scales can't do it. If there are staff members at your gym who can measure your bf% with calipers, that would be more accurate, though still not definitive.

3) How many calories are you eating? I assume you are netting 1200-ish calories a day, which is a pretty generous assumption. Maybe you are grossing 1200 a day. Either way, it's unlikely to be enough fuel for your body to efficiently assist you in losing weight. Use this calculator set at "fat loss -20%" to figure out how many calories you should be eating: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

4) Calm down. Weight loss takes time and patience.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue with losing weight is calories in versus calories out. I'm not sure how many calories you are taking in, but you need to be at a deficit if you want to lose anything. Find your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) via fitnessfrog and subtract 15-20%.

You could also be gaining muscle rather than losing fat, meaning that the scale will stay be same but your body composition will be changing.

You cannot be gaining appreciable muscle at a calorie deficit. Period. That's not how the body works.
  • olly2468
    Options
    Thanks guys how do I make my food diary visible on here so you can check it out 2 see what u think?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys how do I make my food diary visible on here so you can check it out 2 see what u think?

At the top of the page, go to Settings. Then Diary Settings. Select Public and then Save Changes.
  • olly2468
    Options
    Done thank u :)
  • onelov3
    onelov3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you aren't eating enough. People rarely need 1200 calories to lose weight, and any less than that is putting your body is a state of distress, especially with exercise. Stick with scooby's worshop or fitnessfrog for your calorie needs so you can lose weight healthily and efficiently
  • olly2468
    Options
    It's not that I'm deliberately eating less it's just most if the time I'm not hungry especially breakfast time I literally have 2 make myself eat breakfast because I always go to my gym classes in the morning so don't want 2 go on an empty stomach but usually I don't get hungry till around 11/12.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's not that I'm deliberately eating less it's just most if the time I'm not hungry especially breakfast time I literally have 2 make myself eat breakfast because I always go to my gym classes in the morning so don't want 2 go on an empty stomach but usually I don't get hungry till around 11/12.

Assuming that your food log is accurate and you're really eating so little, you have to remember that hunger isn't always the best indicator of whether or not you're getting enough to eat. The hormones your body releases to signal hunger can be suppressed by too many things, including exercise and prolonged periods of undereating. Additionally, there are things that can happen with prolonged undereating that hunger will not warn you about, including vitamin deficiencies, muscle loss, bone density loss, etc. You have to look at the big picture. Look at things like gym performance, mood, concentration, healthy skin and nails along with hunger.

Most people who have a hard time eating enough have cut back on fat and calorie dense foods. Add some of them back in. Nuts, nut butters, seeds, olive oil, coconut oil, full fat dairy, Greek yogurt, cheese, ice cream, avocado, full calorie salad dressings, dark chocolate, fruit juices, protein shakes and smoothies. With some pre-planning, it shouldn't he difficult to boost each meal by a few hundred calories.

And do read through the links I posted above when you have a chance. I know it's a lot of reading, but they're full of really good information that should get you going in the right direction.
  • LeePalmz
    LeePalmz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This low calorie intake may actually be your problem. I'm not saying to go eat a ton of food, but if you restrict too much, your body hangs onto your fat foe dear life. My sister has always told me this and she has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in sports movement science and she is a trainer. Trying feeding your body a little more food and see if it helps. Good luck!
  • olly2468
    Options
    Thank you so much guys 4 all your advise I will take it on board :)
  • lenchmob
    lenchmob Posts: 49
    Options
    Olly,

Just had a quick look at your food diary.
    Just a suggestion, but I would adjust your marcos a bit.

Your protein/carb intake ratio seems a little off, I would try increasing lean protein rich foods and decrease high carb foods such as pasta. Where possible replace your pasta with wholemeal pasta (not as nice, but you will learn to like it).

Also I noticed a lot of skipped meals. I know life styles can be busy these days, but I would strongly advise not to skip meals.
    Try and eat 5-6 times a day spaced evenly through your day with small meals of roughly 270-300 calories per meal, this should start to increase your metabolism.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You're exercising, excercise encourages water weight ( its okay, this is to repair your poor muscles! ) also, your muscles will start to grow and fat will reduce, it won't feel like a change!

I suggest getting a measuring tape.
  • sunitar292
    sunitar292 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Take measurements, inches go before weight sometimes...
  • olly2468
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies n advise :)