'Failed Frosting' Cake

Options
HipsterWhovian
HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
My MFP friends will know that I've recently made lots of cupcakes. I tried to make frosting for them, which - although delicious - just didn't come together for some reason. I didn't want to waste it, so I chucked in some flour and an egg and baked it, and I made possibly the best cake I have ever made! They wanted it shared, so here it is!

2.5 tablespoons plain flour
100ml milk
100g butter
100g caster sugar
100ml maple syrup
1tsp vanilla
100g self raising flour
1 egg

Heat the plain flour and milk on a medium heat in a saucepan. Keep whisking until you have a thick paste. Leave to completely cool.
Blend the butter and sugar until completely smooth. Once the paste is cold, blend it into the butter and sugar with the vanilla and maple syrup until you have the consistency of whipped cream.
(Now that should be the end of the recipe, and the frosting should be light and airy and delicious. Unfortunately for me, this is where everything went wrong. The frosting wouldn't combine properly and just looked split)

At this point, I added the egg and self-raising flour into the mixing bowl, and mixed it all until it looked like cake batter. Pour it into a cake tin, and bake it at 200C until it's baked. I used a 5" tin and it took about 15 minutes.

This failed frosting cake is super moist and has a really delicious syrupy flavour!

This made me 3 5" cakes, so I would say it makes 12 servings.

The nutritional information is based on my recipe which used Tesco Butterly instead of butter and skimmed milk:

Calories: 143
Carbs: 23g
Sugar: 14g
Fat: 5g
Protein: 2g
Sodium: 46mg

Replies

• Fiery_Vixen
    Fiery_Vixen Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    This sounds super good!

You basically made a modified Pate a Choux, so I'm not surprised that it was delicious =)
  • leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    wish I knew how to convert this to spoon and cup measurements......sigh......
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Google?
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I think most of the food scales can do grams. I would google the mL to cups.