So what do employers want?

Options
soze
soze Posts: 604 Member
I've been trying to get a job for over 2 years after being laid off. I've passed the CPA, have a masters, and 20 years experience. Just received an reject email from my last interview about 3 weeks ago. I've been told I interview well. I've demonstrated knowledge, skills, and leadership ability. I just don't know what to do or try anymore.

Replies

• Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    This may be corny but I think what landed me the current job I am in is the fact that I sent a thank you email for the opportunity to interview via email.
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    That's very discouraging. I have a masters and will start studying for the CPA in 2011.... Which firm/agencies are you targeting?
  • AdventureVia
    AdventureVia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I stopped trying to impress in interviews long ago, now I just get to know the people and tell them WHO I am, not always WHAT I am, if that makes sense. The past two years I've had a great position as an administrator in a school district and I still applied for jobs and went through the interview process, just for the practice. Be casual, be confident, be friendly, be someone you would want to work with.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The Thank you card idea is a great one. My suggestion would be to do it through the mail though. The hubby and I recently took the Dave Ramsey FPU classes and that is one of the things that he suggests to do. You need to set your self apart from everyone else.
  • skinnyack
    Options
    I don't know exactly how the CPA world works... but have you thought of opening your own practice? Best of luck to you! I know it's difficult out there!:flowerforyou:
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately my mother runs into the issue of "over-qualification" quite often. She has been trying to find a new job for years and she has had a very hard time. Employers often are intimidated by her management experience, thinking they may not be in charge if they hire an experienced manager as their underling. I am very young and encountered this when I first applied at a financial institution. I was previously the assistant manager of a Domino's and they were concerned about me stepping down from a management position. Obviously you are EXTREMELY qualified, so I would guess you are experiencing the same thing but on a much larger scale. Just keep your spirits up and I know someone will see that you are the perfect person for the job! :happy:
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    The Thank you card idea is a great one. My suggestion would be to do it through the mail though. The hubby and I recently took the Dave Ramsey FPU classes and that is one of the things that he suggests to do. You need to set your self apart from everyone else.

Best. Class. Ever. Changed our lives!
  • Alita2011
    Options
    LOTS of DAVE RAMSEY fans here...YAYA
  • Alita2011
    Options
    I also agree with the thank you/follow up letter. I learned in undergrad and it keeps your name on the interviewers mind. I also agree with being yourself. I am one of the people in life that I rub alot of people the wrong way (I just have to face the facts!!) so I answer each question the best/honestly as I can.....Stay diligent in your search and prayerfully something will come up....Don't lose faith....The CPA is very impressive and CPA firms and public firms know this....
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    This may be corny but I think what landed me the current job I am in is the fact that I sent a thank you email for the opportunity to interview via email.

I'm so with you on this! I was offered a position with an investment firm a few years back because I sent a thank you email! I actually kept coming back to four separate interviews because they could not decide between me and one other girl and I was told when they offered me the job that they couldn't decide until I sent the thank you and she didn't... whew, lol.. I really, really needed that job then, lol.
  • apeman
    apeman Posts: 82
    Options
    I've had the same type of situation in a marketing environment. Qualified, MBA, director level experience and can't get on the short list for jobs that I'm over qualified for. Have had to take a job far from home and am left to try and connect with my network through LinkedIn. Hopefully we'll both find something.

Oh and a thank you email is a must after an interview. No brainer there.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Could be that employers are being cheap and don't want to hire someone that they'd have to pay more, when they could hire someone younger/less experienced/less skillful and pay them a little less. It's probably not about you; it is most likely a money thing. Since the whole country has been going through tough times these last few years, I would not take it personally (easier said than done, I know).
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Know somebody. Every job I've acquired in the last 3 years was because I or my wife knew someone. In fact, I've only had a couple jobs I've gotten without knowing someone.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Know somebody. Every job I've acquired in the last 3 years was because I or my wife knew someone. In fact, I've only had a couple jobs I've gotten without knowing someone.

This is too true anymore! Wise, wise words! Employers are way more likely to hire on references from current employees, so network your *kitten* off!
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options

This is too true anymore! Wise, wise words! Employers are way more likely to hire on references from current employees, so network your *kitten* off!

Very true, the old saying it's not what you know but who you know is a common hiring technique. I have hired many people some via network some not.

I like the idea of be yourself and not try to impress the hiring manager. As stated they might get intimidated by you and fear they might be hiring their replacement. Also from my hiring experience don't send a resume that is multiple pages. I personally want to see what the person has done in their cover letter and a 1-2 page resume, if it goes into more than that I push it aside.

Good luck!
  • soze
    Options
    I have sent thank you letters. I didn't to this one because I had no idea where to send it, believe it or not. It was with a state agency.
  • groovylaura
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said on here... Most companies are struggling, and they can be so very picky right now.

It's such a horrible time to be looking for a job! My husband is still looking, too. It's so discouraging, but we must persevere and trust that something perfect is waiting for you and him just around the corner... Keep picturing yourself doing the type of job you'd love to be doing... And, I think your vision will become a reality. It has worked for me before. I keep encouraging my husband to do the same. I know I'm "Mary Poppins" (as my husband jokingly calls me), but I do believe in good things happening to good people. So, hang in there, and we will, too... In the meantime, we can keep working on taking good care of ourselves and being the best we can be... Take care, Laura :)

PS: My husband wondered if you've signed up with any employment agencies for possible temporary and/or contract-to-hire positions. Some companies use this method as a less-risk approach to finding new employees. They can hire you permanently after they know how you fit in with their organization. In the meantime, you'll also be able to try out different types of jobs to see what you like best, as well... My husband has gotten great jobs this way in the past!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    This is one of the MOST discouraging things to go through! Takes a bite out of your self esteem after a while. My husband was out of work during the worst of the economic downturn and it took him 14 months to find a job. He ended up going back to former employers finally as any of the help wanted ads received SO many applicants it is difficult to stand out in that crowd. Network, network, network . . .others are so right, it is WHO you know and not what you know that will likely work.

About a decade ago I realized that I was interviewing the company as much as they were interviewing me. It has to be mutual. Once I thought of it in those tems I was able to be completely relaxed during the interview, and completely myself. My personality shone through and I had much success with that new attitude. I always find that if you do good research on the company and make up a list of questions for them it usually shows your initiative and interest in them. I also like to mention that I am also inverviewing them for a good fit from my perspective . . . this usually pleasantly surprises the interviewer as they realize that Im not just going to jump for any offer.

Best of luck to you!

PS - if you can't send a thank you letter or email phone the person back the next day to thank them personally, VERY important!
  • soze
    Options
    I'm going to go talk to a career counselor tomorrow and keep an open mind.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    Ok... so I will step in from the perspective of the Employer. I have owned a growing company for 11 years now. We are constantly hiring. However, our payscale is low but our schedules are flexible (we have professional actors, performers, archeologists, etc on staff who need time off to pursue their "other" job).

Here is what I look for in an interviewee:

1) Self confidence WITHOUT cockiness. Show me you know what you know... but be honest about what you don't know... and explain a willingness to learn.

2) Team Player: If I see and interviewee walk past one of our staff who is obviously struggling with some boxes and they don't offer to lend a hand, I know I have someone who is too internally focused.

3) Ask Questions! Asking about the philosophy of the company, the history and the challenges we have faced shows that you care about our culture. We want someone who will fit in... but not be a clone.

4) Respond to calls and emails IMMEDIATELY. Nothing burns a bridge faster than not returning a call to tell us you have decided to go with another job offer. It's either a sign of self importance or cowardice. Neither of which belong in our company.

5) Ask about the dress code ahead of time. That way you don't show up in jeans for a suit environment. But also, don't assume "casual" means jeans with holes in them.

6) Send a thank you email. Snail Mail letter is not rated better by us... but we're geeks. However, a nice letter that has a personal touch to it (quoting some points from the interview) is a good idea.

7) Be nice to the front desk. Sometimes the receptionist has more say than you think.

8) Listen carefully to the job description and frame your answers specifically to the job. Don't go into great detail about your really cool hobbies unless you are SURE they are important to the job. We get a TON of hobbiests who miss the boat on this one.

9) Go out on a limb. Ask for a tour if one is not offered. Ask to see where your job would cause the most impact. Watch the operations and ask questions about them. Seek understanding. Don't stop asking until you really feel like you understand. TAKE NOTES! This shows you are paying attention.

10) DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If your interviewer leaves you with an assignment - to get a certain reference or visit a department to talk to someone on your own - follow up IMMEDIATELY with the results. Do NOT wait... even a couple of days shows you are "too busy" with your life and this job doesn't mean much.

And lastly, if you decline a job offer, do so with grace and style. We had an HR Director candidate turn us down after the final interview... but she offered AND FOLLOWED THROUGH on training our staff on some important compliance issues to hold us over until we hired a new director. She did this FREE of charge. You can bet your bottom dollar that if this woman ever comes looking for a job from us and we have an opening, she will be hired on the spot.

Hope this helps.

For what its worth, it isn't easy on our end, either. We have to find someone who fits our culture, who communicates well, who adores working with kids, who is RELIABLE and who doesn't mind a bare bones compensation package in exchange for what will likely be the most fun job they have ever had. Even those who have moved on to other higher paying jobs do so reluctantly. It's hard to leave a job you love for one you might not... but pays more money.