1 month Plateau! So frustrated

Options

Replies

• a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What i see, and take it from a guy whos lost 40lbs in one sitting, Is mainly you are eating too little so your body is holding onto whatever it can get, and the foods you are eating are not the right kind.

So much wrong with this one little statement.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options
    Oh FFS, she is probably plateaued because she is eating more than she thinks due to eyeballing her food, NOT because she's in starvation mode or causing metabolic damage.

Have you actually looked at her Diary? Are are you just assuming. I went 30 days back. If she's as accurate as she says she is then she actually does have an issue.

She would be losing weight if what she logged was true. How do you think anorexia works? None of them seem to "plateau" at a healthy weight, they seem to just keep losing until they're skeletal and their hair is falling out.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Like you, I was on a plateau that lasted for over 1 month. I dropped my calories to 500-600 a day and added 2 miles to my walk. I walk almost everyday and my weight has started to go down. My doctor approves of what I did.

Does your doctor have a "medical degree" ?

I've found that doctors are far more accepting of new ideas after the fact.

Mine recommended a throat scope and omniprazole for chronic ulcers, reflux, ibs and everything owie of the tummy.

When I came back several months later, off the meds, all symptoms cleared up, and maybe 20-30 lb down explaining that a purple haired hippy recommended that I stop eating Gluten, and apparently that was the magic ticket all along, he was quite in agreement that was probably the likely culprit, however never mentioned dietary changes before.

That is not to imply hippies know it all, just to emphasize that doctors are in agreement far more after the fact.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Oh FFS, she is probably plateaued because she is eating more than she thinks due to eyeballing her food, NOT because she's in starvation mode or causing metabolic damage.

Have you actually looked at her Diary? Are are you just assuming. I went 30 days back. If she's as accurate as she says she is then she actually does have an issue.

She said she estimates the amount of foods. She meticulously logs it all, but guesses on the amounts.

Either way, her calorie goal is wrong AND her logging is not accurate, so yes, there is an issue.
  • AV1978az
    AV1978az Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What i see, and take it from a guy whos lost 40lbs in one sitting, Is mainly you are eating too little so your body is holding onto whatever it can get, and the foods you are eating are not the right kind.

How's that? I lost 40lbs over the course of 12 months, guided by an actual nutritionist, and regular, guided exercise. I went from 400 to 360, and now I am in the 320 range, Starting over because quite frankly i broke my foot in half and had to take alot of time off to heal.

You people are nutjobs if you think 1000 calories a day is normal and healthy for anyone.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options

How's that? I lost 40lbs over the course of 12 months, guided by an actual nutritionist, and regular, guided exercise. I went from 400 to 360, and now I am in the 320 range, Starting over because quite frankly i broke my foot in half and had to take alot of time off to heal.

You people are nutjobs if you think 1000 calories a day is normal and healthy for anyone.

The whole idea of "right" and "wrong" foods has been debunked numerous times. The whole idea that your body instantly adapts it's metabolism over a month of eating lower calories has also been debunked.

I never suggested that 1000 calories a day is an appropriate goal. What I did suggest is that if she truly was eating that little she would be losing weight because that's how the energy balance equation works. Even considering the PCOS, she would still be losing weight if she truly was eating that little.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Nobody is saying 1000 calories a day is normal and healthy for anyone, in fact, the opposite. HOWEVER, she does NOT measure her food, so she could be eating 1200, 1500, or 2000 for all anyone really knows.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

She admits she wasn't being accurate. It's really not that complicated.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Nobody is saying 1000 calories a day is normal and healthy for anyone, in fact, the opposite. HOWEVER, she does NOT measure her food, so she could be eating 1200, 1500, or 2000 for all anyone really knows.
    bingo.
  • AV1978az
    AV1978az Posts: 25 Member
    Options

The whole idea of "right" and "wrong" foods has been debunked numerous times. The whole idea that your body instantly adapts it's metabolism over a month of eating lower calories has also been debunked.

I never suggested that 1000 calories a day is an appropriate goal. What I did suggest is that if she truly was eating that little she would be losing weight because that's how the energy balance equation works. Even considering the PCOS, she would still be losing weight if she truly was eating that little.

I never said you instantly adapt either. But take a look at her diary. I see a history of eating very little, even if she is overestimating and what she does eat isn't fuel. Lunch meat for lunch and nothing else aint going to fuel your metabolism to start acting normally. Which is what i am getting at. She will lose weight till a point, until her metabolism is basically dead and her body says hell no Im not going to let go of this fat, i need it to survive!"

Sounds to me that her body is maintaining and storing a bit because its confused/starved.

OP, what is your exercise routine? Are you tired all the time? Do you have difficulty concentrating, are you always thirsty? Frequent head aches? Binge Eat later at night? Are you static for large periods of time during the day?"

Seriously once i started eating right all of this went away for me.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

I never said you instantly adapt either. But take a look at her diary. I see a history of eating very little, even if she is overestimating and what she does eat isn't fuel. Lunch meat for lunch and nothing else aint going to fuel your metabolism to start acting normally. Which is what i am getting at. She will lose weight till a point, until her metabolism is basically dead and her body says hell no Im not going to let go of this fat, i need it to survive!"

Sounds to me that her body is maintaining and storing a bit because its confused/starved.

OP, what is your exercise routine? Are you tired all the time? Do you have difficulty concentrating, are you always thirsty? Frequent head aches? Binge Eat later at night? Are you static for large periods of time during the day?"

Seriously once i started eating right all of this went away for me.

You're welcome to keep looking at her diary all you want, but it won't change the fact that she is eyeballing portion size. Which she clearly stated doing earlier in this post.

ETA: The body trying to create an environment of homeostasis can happen, but not in the amount of time she's indicating.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Lunch meat for lunch and nothing else aint going to fuel your metabolism to start acting normally.

She is on a Keto diet which means eating very little carbs. For someone with PCOS, this is an effective diet (and one her doctor recommended). However, there is something wrong with the amounts she is eating.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Like you, I was on a plateau that lasted for over 1 month. I dropped my calories to 500-600 a day and added 2 miles to my walk. I walk almost everyday and my weight has started to go down. My doctor approves of what I did.

What? 500-600 calories TOTAL?

Your doctor is a moron, if that's the case. 500 is less than 33% of what I need for my vital organs to function and me to stay alive.

Good grief :frown:
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I've been logged into Myfitnesspal, tracking all my food for almost 2 months. Generally when I finish my log at the end of the day, it says that if I eat like "this" everyday I'll be a certain weight in 5 weeks (usually projected to be 10lbs less than I am)

I STILL haven't hit that goal. I do nothing but fluctuate between 140 and 134lbs (I'm 5'4")

I am meticulous with my entries and never forget to log anything in. I don't know what else I can do to move past this plateau !!

My diary is public, so anyone can take a look, but please help. I've been trying to follow a Keto friendly diet.

Thanks !!

There's alot of reason's this could happen.
    -- too much salt.
    -- Not enough Water.
    -- Eat more, eat 1500 calories 1 week.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    OP, you and I are the same height and weight. I currently eat around 1800 on non-workout days and up to 2200 on workout days. Feel free to friend me if you would like.

Please get a food scale and start measuring accurately so you know what you're eating.
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    I am estimating amounts of food, but I don't think I am too bad.

I am eating that calorie limit because it just seemed to be the ideal goal, maybe I'm looking to lose too much too fast? I've never had any luck with eating more than 1,000 - I always gain or stay the same

bull. you just can't work out how to weigh stuff
  • terrainstar
    terrainstar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    you need to EAT to lose weight, your body is starving and will not allow weight loss at this low calorie intake. Try increasing your calories to 1200 a day and make sure you are getting your minimum protein amount.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    you need to EAT to lose weight, your body is starving and will not allow weight loss at this low calorie intake. Try increasing your calories to 1200 a day and make sure you are getting your minimum protein amount.

How do you think anorexia works? None of them seem to "plateau" at a healthy weight, they seem to just keep losing until they're skeletal and their hair is falling out.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Your doctor is an idiot and needs a refund on his degree if he thinks that ok for someone to survive on.
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Myfacewhen: seeing this thread.

tumblr_m8aukiFaKr1rd1reko1_500.jpg

What I wanted to say has already been beaten like a dead horse anyway.