Plantar fasciitis- foot injury help please

Options
Has anyone suffered? It's a heel/arch injury :-( the pain is so bad, what I want to know is do any of you still workout? I've been running and it seems to be helping me tone and don't want to stop :-(

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    when I'm not running I ice the area that is in pain. I rested this past weekend no running no walking but iced my foot. today after I run I might ice it again because it's still a little tender.
  • 55romaine
    55romaine Posts: 26
    Options
    Yes I had plantar fasciitis for over a year. Very painful. It started after I upped my running distance to a half marathon and really set me back. I couldn't run for 3 months and then went back to short runs but often ran through the pain. Rolling my foot over a tennis ball helped as it stretches the tendon and also over a frozen soft drink bottle(this helped with the pain a lot). Good luck with it I hope your recovery is speedy. I understand the frustration!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    I had this and was sent to a podiatrist. I did rest with respect to exercise while recovering. I was given off the shelf arch supports and prescribed calf stretches. The stretches consisted of laying a cutting board on the edge of a phone book and standing with my toes raised for several minutes a few times a day. I set this up in front of the washbasin (while brushing teeth) and a couple of other strategic places around the house (related to cooking prep). It took maybe 4-6 weeks to get rid of my symptoms.

If you want to continue to exercise during recovery, I would suggest finding something that doesn't tighten the calves. Maybe rowing machine or swimming instead of running.
  • fighting_the_flab83
    Options
    There are exercises you can do that help. The best thing to do is see a physio though! x
  • Kiwi94544
    Kiwi94544 Posts: 23
    Options
    I have flat-feet and was half-way through Week 5 of C25K when I woke up one morning and couldn't even put my foot on the ground without pain. I couldn't even walk normally. Yep, Plantar Fasciitis. Not fun at all. My particular doctor said that given my flat feet and obesity (I was 264 lbs when I started C25K), running was just not an "ideal form of exercise for me." I was really disappointed, as I'd set a personal goal to finish C25K and then sign-up for a 5k immediately after. The PF basically ended that dream.

Initially I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to work-out at all, or would have to take a big break from exercising, causing me to lose momentum. I was 5 weeks into my fitness regimen and I'd lost 17 lbs thus far and was worried without running I'd have trouble continuing to lose weight and build stamina. But my Dr said to rest my foot and once it felt better, return to exercising, but low-impact things that wouldn't put pressure on my foot.

So, for the past almost-2-months I've been doing every OTHER cardio-based thing at the gym that doesn't aggravate my PF. Elliptical, rowing machine, spin classes, etc... I made sure to challenge myself, doing intervals and keeping the intensity high. I found running always left me feeling exhausted and sweaty so I just tried to replicate that type of exertion in other activities, hoping to simulate the type of "burn" I felt when I was jogging. During the past 2 months, I've also started lifting. My foot hasn't been an issue since, and I'm now down 33 lbs, so it hasn't cause a halt to my weight-loss efforts either.

The other day, I decided to TRY jogging again, just to see if I could do it. To my surprise, I did quite well - jogged 2 miles, after NOT jogging for over 2 months. My foot hasn't played-up since, so I am THINKING about trying to slowly incorporate some jogging back into my workout routine. Just gradually, as I don't want to re-injure myself.

My advice would be to stay off your foot until you can walk on it properly - and then look for things that will challenge you the same way running did. I would be hesitant to abstain from exercising completely unless a doctor gave you those instructions, or unless there was truly NO alternative exercise that you can do without causing pain to your foot. I know PF is different for everyone - some people can't walk at ALL, while for others it's just this annoying pain that comes and goes. Just seek a doctor and then find ways to work around your PF. Swimming, biking, etc...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you have plantar faciitis, you need to take 6 to 8 weeks off running. Otherwise, you risk it becoming chronic. I am in week one of repairing from PF in both my feet. I plan on trying cycling or perhaps the elliptical.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I suffered with it for about two years before I got it to heal. It still flairs up occasionally. I found the following helped:

1) Tape up your feet. You can Google how to 'tape your feet for plantar fasciitis'. It provides support and this was the number one thing that helped. When I feel that familiar discomfort in my foot, I start taping my feet again until it goes away.
    2) Invest in a foot brace to sleep in. It holds your foot in the proper position. It was about $25 at Target.
    3) Freeze a bottle of water. Put it on the floor and put your bare foot on it. Roll it around with your foot for as long as you can stand it, up to 20 minutes. Do it at least twice a day. The icing helps with the inflammation.
    4) Motrin for the pain.
    5) Rest - when its really bad, you have to rest it. When I have a flair up, I move to a bike for exercise. Just don't do anything that causes impact or stress on your feet.

Good luck. I know its a pain but you can get through it.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I've had it too for a few years. I do various exercises for it, and ice, when it flares up. I can't run, I cycle instead, but even walking can cause it to reappear.

I'm going to looking into taping my feet! Thanks for that tip ames105!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Have suffered and continued to workout/exercise. You may need to avoid weight baring exercises like squats for the first bit, but you can work through it . I have been using BFST treatments by King Brand. I use it prior to runs and it works great! I also use their coldcure treatment afterwards to treat the flare ups.

You may want to stop running, and stick to walking for now. Make sure you have a good support shoe as well.

http://www.kingbrand.com/Plantar_Fasciitis_Treatment.php?REF=39PV1

You can actually get plantar fasciitis from walking. Hard to believe, I know. So they don't recommend it for someone with a flare up. At least not as a form of exercise. I know I can barely walk from the pain right now unless I am on serious Motrin. :sad:
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Dr. Scholl's makes shoes inserts for this. I've been wearing them every day since I had problems last year. They make a huge difference! Also, if you have to be on your feet a lot at work (I am a teacher), Dansko shoes will help you see vast improvement, as well.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Suffer from this still after a year. If I walk barefoot I can feel the arch and a mild pain so I always try to wear some sort padding on my feet.
    When I really messed it up to the point I couldnt walk at all I rested. Took about a week for the severe pain to subside. Putting my foot up, ice, and when I could I would stand on the edge of a stair and let my heels dip to stretch it all out. Ive heard of the taping and the ball. Never tried it.
    While it was tender I used the elliptical with great success. After it fully went away I moved back to the treadmill.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I've had this before. Don't run!!! You will not make it any better.

To alleviate the pain/stretch the muscle I rolled my foot over a tin can under my desk when I was sat down and the other stretch you can do is to stand on a step on your toes/ball of your foot and drop your heel down - and repeat.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I had this at the end of last year/start of this year. I had to take 6 weeks off running, and even had to reduce my walking to a bare minimum (my boyfriend had to walk the dog!!!!). I bought a Strasbourg Sock for night time, insoles for my normal every day shoes and did only low impact exercises for the 6 weeks (Spin, Rowing and Swimming).

I'm back on the road now, but if I do 2 days in a row I wear the sock at night after the second run just in case, because every now and then I can still feel a niggle!

It was a pain, and I was gutted to have to stop running, but its best to deal with it early than do yourself more damage in the long run.

Edited to add, Calf stretches are my new best friend!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with it now, in both feet, and it's bad. I have had a mild case of it for some time now, and I got way overzealous with running and just killed my poor feet. I've tried so many things, that helped a bit, but not much... ice, calf stretching, toe stretchers, etc...

What I have found that is actually working for me is this:

Rather than stretching the calves, focus on streching the fascia in your feet. Sit down, rest one foot on the other knee, and pull all of your toes into flexion. Do this ten times, for ten seconds each time, 3 times a day. I do it before I get out of bed in the morning (which saves me a TON of limping as soon as I get out of bed), I do it when I get home from work, and right before I go to bed.

I've only been doing this for two weeks and it has already made a world of difference. It will take awhile to heal fully, so be patient.

Oh! I have also stopped walking barefoot (which I HATE, I love being barefoot), but that has helped quite a bit as well.

Doing these two things has made it possible for me to continue exercising. Just take it easy, don't over do it!

I'm taking this as an opportunity to focus more on strength :)

Good luck!
  • TheWatchStander
    Options
    Its important you take it seriously and heal. You dont want to ignore it and build scar tissue.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you have plantar faciitis. I have it and there have been days I didn't want to get out of bed because the pain is excruciating, It was really intefering with my walking and I was desperate for relief. I found a brace that I wear at night that keeps my foot straight. The first time I used it I was amazed. Now I wear it everynight. I can get out of bed with no pain and it is no longer interfering in my walking. I have extremely high arches and a combination of an underpronator and supinator and finding the proper shoe to walk in was a challenge. I tried Nike, Asics, Adidas, but finally for a pair of Sauconys that work for me. I hope you get some relief soon.
  • OBXbound4me
    OBXbound4me Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Had that also and it really sucks. Just stretch every morning before doing anything, freeze 20 oz soda bottles with water to roll under your feet to help inflamation and stretching and look into getting custom orthotics. They are what helped me the most. Good luck and feel better.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Something else I haven't seen mentioned is that you shouldn't walk barefoot, wear flip flop type of shoes or high heels. All of those things can make the PF worse. I had it a couple of years ago, but it did heal up pretty quickly, especially after I lost weight.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Have suffered and continued to workout/exercise. You may need to avoid weight baring exercises like squats for the first bit, but you can work through it . I have been using BFST treatments by King Brand. I use it prior to runs and it works great! I also use their coldcure treatment afterwards to treat the flare ups.

You may want to stop running, and stick to walking for now. Make sure you have a good support shoe as well.

http://www.kingbrand.com/Plantar_Fasciitis_Treatment.php?REF=39PV1

You can actually get plantar fasciitis from walking. Hard to believe, I know. So they don't recommend it for someone with a flare up. At least not as a form of exercise. I know I can barely walk from the pain right now unless I am on serious Motrin. :sad:

I have PF right now and walking is very difficult for me.
  • Koshbunny
    Options
    Stretch. Frozen peas. Stretch more.

If you have super cushy shoes or ones with the "uber" arch support, get shoes that aren't as cushy/support-y.

Walk around barefoot whenever you can. (Note walk, not stand. Gotta move.) It helps build up the muscles in your feet.

More stretching. More frozen peas.

No orthotics, no $200 running shoes. Not worth it when nature gave you all you need.