Lost 100+lbs, fell in love w/ the gym, now fibromyalgia!

Options
I've been on MFP for a long time just to track my meals and progress privately, but now I'm at the point that I need some support and motivation. Probably the occasional kick in the @$$ too!

My story is that from 2010-2011, I lost over 100 lbs, hired a personal trainer, I then ran a marathon, did tons of half marathons and some mud runs, and fell in love with lifting and the bodybuilding lifestyle after I realized the running was making me too thin...basically, I finally just started really enjoying life for the first time ever. That was up until last October, when the pain in my body got so bad and scary that it sent me to the ER and I was eventually diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

At this point, I can hardly make it through a day at work, let alone go to the gym and actually work out. But I'm convinced it's time to do whatever it takes to feel better, and if I'm going to be in pain anyway, it may as well be for something that's worth it! Like feeling strong, empowered, and looking pretty good to boot. I am committed to finding an effective health, nutrition, and exercise program to overcome this pain, exhaustion, and mental fog, and especially to lose the 30lbs I've gained and try and get my physique back!! Anyone wanna help me along on this journey? Feel free to add me! :)

Replies

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    What a story Tiffany. I'd love to be part of your journey!
    Nancy
  • TiffanyBlue805
    Options
    Thanks, Nancy! I need all the help I can get. :)
  • AreUjoking2
    AreUjoking2 Posts: 142
    Options
    Tiffany, you can do this, and I would love to help you along the way.
  • tree850
    tree850 Posts: 12
    Options
    We can help each other..
    We can do it just take your time and don't hurt yourself. We are here to help one another.
    :smile:
  • anallydiaz
    anallydiaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love your positivity! You can do it!
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    NoExcusesFitnessCoach Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this! With your attitude and willingness to work hard, I have no doubt that you'll succeed. I too was diagnosed with fibro - 8 years ago. For me, committing to fitness and nutrition was the KEY to getting rid of the pain and exhaustion that consumed me daily since well before my diagnosis.

Today marks 1 year since I started working out daily and changed my eating habits. I haven't had any symptoms since I started this journey. If I can do it, anyone can!

Keep up the good work and the amazing attitude!
  • nathnormand
    Options
    Well thats really motivating, I've been struggling to keep head above water for 10 years now.
  • StacyRenee77
    StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I am here to motivate and be motivated lol!! Add me if you would like :)
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    "If I'm going to hurt anyways, I may as well do what I want." That has been my motto for several years. I've written it in numerous posts on Facebook, on webMD etc, where I connect with my fibro friends. I was diagnosed in 2006. I still work 50+ hrs a week and do whatever I want but I've had to make some concessions at well.

One thing I am terrible at is pacing. Managing fibro requires some preplanning. Spreading out your tasks throughout the week instead of trying to get it all done in 2 days. Making sure that you get enough sleep. And learning how much is too much for your body. That's a big one, learning to accept that some days you just can not do more and must rest. It's a fine balance.

Feel free to add me if you'd like another fibro friend here. There are also several groups here dedicated to living with fibro.
  • TiffanyBlue805
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouragement and sharing your success story. I hope I can alleviate my symptoms as well. So far, since I've really been pushing myself, I feel SO MUCH better. The one thing that doesn't go away though is the exhaustion. I was a light sleeper before, but now I can literally just close my eyes and take a nap at any time I want. The loss of memory sure is a bugger, too. But I'm headed in the right direction for now, and with the help of positive folks like yourself, I think I might just find a way to enjoy life again despite this stupid diagnosis!
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had a similar thing happen as well! I lost 135 lbs, was riding my bike all the time and starting to run races. Then I had to have surgery and that was followed by fibromyalgia. Then a bunch of life stuff happened but now I'm back on track and getting the weight off again.

Nice to meet you!
  • TiffanyBlue805
    Options
    I had a similar thing happen as well! I lost 135 lbs, was riding my bike all the time and starting to run races. Then I had to have surgery and that was followed by fibromyalgia. Then a bunch of life stuff happened but now I'm back on track and getting the weight off again.

Nice to meet you!

Wow, I had surgery before the fibro as well. I've heard there could be a correlation. But there is a lot of info and mis-info out there; as I'm sure you are aware. ;) Thanks for the welcome and also for making me hear "Everything is Awesome" playing in my head! Wishing you success on your journey!
  • kbear180
    kbear180 Posts: 2
    Options
    Ok, it seems I've found some kindred spirits! From 2011 to February of 2013, I lost 150 lbs and was very active, doing Jillian Michaels workouts, 5Ks, and the like. Then fibromyalgia hit and now a year later I'm working to pick up the pieces and lose the 100 lbs I put back on last year - how terrifying is that, by the way? I'm getting my diet back on the right track, but working out is another story. Some days just going through my workday and commute is enough to make me feel like I've been run over by a truck! Any suggestions for getting back into exercise without bringing the pain on full-force again? I don't have access to a pool in my area with my work schedule. Thanks and good luck to you all!