Seeking Healthy Eating Advice from Women

Options
Hi Ladies,

Over the winter I allowed myself to get a bit squishy. I hadn't been exercising as much as I regularly do, nor was I eating how I should. Now that the weather is warming up I'm ready to get back on my bike and back to the yoga studio, not to mention into a bikini. I've been trying to get back into some healthy eating habits, and as of late I've basically been living off fruits and veggies, as well as lean meats and a variety of nuts and seeds. I don't hardly eat anything processed (unless forced to by my student budget, but this rarely happens) nor do I eat much dairy. I also try to avoid bread and pasta, and have been drinking A LOT more water than during the previous months. Despite all of this I have been continuing to gain weight, and so I'm wondering what has generally worked for most of you? I'm not sure whether the weight gain is due to an excess of fruit (I've been getting conflicting information regarding this) or just all the extra water. Anyway it's been very discouraging and I would love to hear from those of you who have had success.

Thanks!

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight your are eating more calories than you are burning.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food and tracking your exercise? If not, that's the first place to start. Without a good, solid understanding of how much you're eating and an estimate of how much you're burning it's hard to give any advice as to where to go next.
  • ellenmg
    ellenmg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What you are doing all sounds pretty good. But if you are still gaining weight, you just need to make sure you are making a calorie deficit every day or at least a few times a week. Are you exercising? You didn't say anything about that. Since you are on MFP, I'm going to guess you are logging your food, but if not, you should start. You could be eating more calories than you think even though what you are eating is 'healthy'.
    It sounds like you are on the right track so that's good. Just make calorie deficits and you should be good!
  • jeannevdl
    jeannevdl Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi there, I'm not sure if you are logging everything you are eating, but everything should be eaten in limits. "Healthy foods" is only healthy when you don't eat too much of them :) for instance potatoes or bananas, which are high in carbs and GI.

Perhaps a high protein eating plan would be in place. Protein takes longer to digest, keeps you fuller for longer and if you up your proteins and lower carbs, your body will have more ketones in your bloodstream from protein, which is an au naturale appetite suppressant. Here in SA it's easy to follow a high protein diet, since it's frowned upon if no meat is served with a meal, or even just meat for a meal ;)

A scale is bad! A measure band is good, the human anatomy is amazing and strange, and it will do anything to protect itself.

In a very odd case the classic calorie intake - calorie deficit mechanism might not be working, but that is in a case where someone suffers from hypothyroidism, some other hormone imbalance/illness or eating disorder recovery.

Don't give up though, just log those calories and take it day by day.