I must be crazy for starting this right before Christmas...

Options
But oh well. Maybe this will help me stay out of all the holiday treats. =-)

I'm a bit of a yo-yo. I go up and down about 15 lbs depending on my mood and the season! Hoping to reach my healthy goal weight and stay there. Food is my drug, I'm learning to put it in it's place and see it as fuel and not a coping mechanism. Anyone else out there struggle with that?

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Replies

• mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    There's no better day than today! Good luck. Be realistic about what to expect for the holidays and kick your butt in gear January 1!! You can do this. Good luck!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I definitely struggle with using food as my drug. I am a stress eater BIG TIME and am having difficulty controlling that lately.

& don't worry about staring right before Christmas- if you're serious about losing weight, you can do it no matter what time of year it is!
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I started last monday.. its crazy yea but gets you in the right state of mind and keeps you conscious of what you eat during the holidays. if you think you ate too much, hit the gym an extra day. Good luck!
  • ant17r
    ant17r Posts: 13
    Options
    My wife and I did the same thing. It's not crazy...it's sensible!!! There's never a wrong time to be healthy. A few treats around the holidays are ok but being healthy overall is the most important thing.

Good luck!

Anthony
  • Val_Gets_Fit
    Val_Gets_Fit Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Holiday treats... I'm dreading it! My kids are dying to make sugar cookies.... one of my weakness. :laugh: I started really focusing on getting back to fit just before Thanksgiving and I was a good girl then so I'm hoping I get through the rest of the holidays the same way. :smile: I've tended to use food as a stress reliever the past couple of years after dealing with some "learned helplessness" issues--- gaining weight b/c of hypothyroidism and not losing any no matter what I did for the same reason. So, yes, I can relate! Good luck to you, from one MFP newbie to another. :happy:
  • ZombieGreaser
    Options
    I started working out last Monday, and started MFP today... no you're not crazy!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I started on Halloween last year. If you're finally sick and tired of being sick and tire, then get started.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    hi and welcome!!

Dont beat yourself up at this time of year. If you find it too hard just use this time to get used to logging everything and then when your ready to start properly youll know about how to add things properly and youll get off to a great start! x
  • abeautifulvoice
    Options
    You aren't crazy! Good luck to you :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    whenever you are mentally ready to do it ,is the right time. It really is a mindset time and it is whenever you are serious about starting and losing weight. You can do it
  • mcruse
    Options
    I started a diet before Thanksgiving and lost 4lbs. I ate dinner and dessert but did not over do it. Make good choices. Stay low on calories and taste desserts. You've had them all before.....live off the memory :wink:
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life, what better day to start! :flowerforyou:
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great day to start! Good luck to you in gearing up for a permanent and true lifestyle change. MFP is not a diet. Good for you in signing up today and getting involved with the MFP Community. Feel free to add me as a MFP friend, if you would like.
  • Daniel93725
    Options
    It is not crazy but I will agree it is tough during the holidays. My wife likes to bake breads during this time of year...brutal; you just have to be dedicated.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    nope, just ready for a change and ready to start your new life....this isnt a diet...this is a journey to a better you....you can do it...
  • Inner_Beauty87
    Inner_Beauty87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :happy: NO you can do it...Im starting today...were in this together.