PCOS and lost belly fat...pics??

Options
2»

Replies

• lishay224
    Options
    If anyone can help me please read.
    I was diagnosed with PCOS and told to take metformin gradually till I was taking 4 pills a day (right now). I give my body regular exercise , but I'm very busy with schooling. I eat very well but too much, cereal for breakfast., a snack for lunch (stomach hurts if I eat a regular amount) and a fine amount of food for dinner. Since I have been taking metformin, about 10 months now, I have not lost any weight no matter how healthy I eat or the exercise I do. This makes me feel extremely hopeless and upset with my body and I was wondering if anybody else has this problem and could help me. I am a pretty big size, not too big my legs are all muscle but my stomach is very wide and has fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If anyone can help me please read.
    I was diagnosed with PCOS and told to take metformin gradually till I was taking 4 pills a day (right now). I give my body regular exercise , but I'm very busy with schooling. I eat very well but too much, cereal for breakfast., a snack for lunch (stomach hurts if I eat a regular amount) and a fine amount of food for dinner. Since I have been taking metformin, about 10 months now, I have not lost any weight no matter how healthy I eat or the exercise I do. This makes me feel extremely hopeless and upset with my body and I was wondering if anybody else has this problem and could help me. I am a pretty big size, not too big my legs are all muscle but my stomach is very wide and has fat.
    Cereal is probably not a good choice with PCOS. For the most part, it requires lower carb diets. Below is a group you might want to check out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • kalistekimball
    Options
    I have PCOS and have gone up and down with my weight. It seems like no matter how thin I got ( I was once a size zero), I could still grab a HUGE donut of my belly fat. I recently had surgery to remove cysts in November 2013 after I gained a LOT of weight, and now am working my way back down. I am determined to have a 6 pack within the next few months. I am reducing as MUCH stress as possible and also using NuvaRing. One thing that I am doing now that I have never tried before is cutting out gluten from my diet COMPLETELY. Just because you don't have a "gluten sensitivity" doesn't mean it isn't responsible for other health issues. I have seen this work in the past for other people, and my motto is don't bash it until you try it. I challenge everyone with PCOS to cut gluten from their diet completely for 6 months and see if they notice a big difference. Also, remember not to go for too many "gluten free" bready options, because those are calorie laiden and won't help if you are trying to lose fat, if you are overconsuming calories. I would post a picture of my transformation so far from the past 6 weeks, which is INCREDIBLE, but I'm not sure how to post pictures on here.
  • kalistekimball
    Options
    If you go look at my profile, I should have a picture up within the next minute or two
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have gone up and down with my weight. It seems like no matter how thin I got ( I was once a size zero), I could still grab a HUGE donut of my belly fat. I recently had surgery to remove cysts in November 2013 after I gained a LOT of weight, and now am working my way back down. I am determined to have a 6 pack within the next few months. I am reducing as MUCH stress as possible and also using NuvaRing. One thing that I am doing now that I have never tried before is cutting out gluten from my diet COMPLETELY. Just because you don't have a "gluten sensitivity" doesn't mean it isn't responsible for other health issues. I have seen this work in the past for other people, and my motto is don't bash it until you try it. I challenge everyone with PCOS to cut gluten from their diet completely for 6 months and see if they notice a big difference. Also, remember not to go for too many "gluten free" bready options, because those are calorie laiden and won't help if you are trying to lose fat, if you are overconsuming calories. I would post a picture of my transformation so far from the past 6 weeks, which is INCREDIBLE, but I'm not sure how to post pictures on here.

I also have PCOS and celiac disease. Funny thing happened when I went gluten free. My period came back and my stomach shrunk considerably. It's still a bit of a belly, but nothing compared to before. I also went from NEVER getting my period to getting it every 6 weeks.

I also recommend that everyone with PCOS try going gluten free. Watch out for hidden gluten though! :)
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

I also have PCOS and celiac disease. Funny thing happened when I went gluten free. My period came back and my stomach shrunk considerably. It's still a bit of a belly, but nothing compared to before. I also went from NEVER getting my period to getting it every 6 weeks.

I also recommend that everyone with PCOS try going gluten free. Watch out for hidden gluten though! :)

I also have PCOS, have lost 60lbs over the past 2 years and still have a huge belly. I've also gone gluten/soy and corn free (intolerant to these items, not a full blown allergy), but it has not made a difference at all. I work out 5-6 times per week, twice a week with a trainer. Cardio/Resistance and Weight Training.....
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No pics sorry, but I have been diagnosed with PCOS 20 years ago. Unlike what I read about on the internet, my drs always told me to exercise and monitor what I eat (calories) to control PCOS, not the opposite. I do not think I ever had much belly fat. I have a few kilos, like 5, I would be happy losing, but nothing dramatic at the belly, and the only times I have been on a restrictive low sugar diet was for gestational diabetes. I have asked my reproductive endocrinologist and my regular dr about low carb diets for PCOS when I was trying to conceive and both pretty much laughed at me and told me to exercise and step away from the internet.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    No pics sorry, but I have been diagnosed with PCOS 20 years ago. Unlike what I read about on the internet, my drs always told me to exercise and monitor what I eat (calories) to control PCOS, not the opposite. I do not think I ever had much belly fat. I have a few kilos, like 5, I would be happy losing, but nothing dramatic at the belly, and the only times I have been on a restrictive low sugar diet was for gestational diabetes. I have asked my reproductive endocrinologist and my regular dr about low carb diets for PCOS when I was trying to conceive and both pretty much laughed at me and told me to exercise and step away from the internet.

Did they warn you that the insulin resistance with PCOS can turn into diabetes, though? They certainly should have. Lower carb (and/or Metformin) is important to not burn out the insulin system. I didn't worry about it until my blood glucose started getting abnormal, but some would say I should have watched my carbs the whole time.

I definitely watch my BG now; I don't want diabetes. I've never been more than a little overweight, btw. Losing weight hasn't changed my BG any, but I was not overweight enough to contribute to problems with it that way, imho. My midsection is also my problem area, yep.

As far as losing weight goes, mine just goes slowly, but it goes fine. I took Metformin for a month and it really went fast! I'm hoping to get back on it soon :D It also corrects the other hormonal imbalances in PCOS, so it's a good drug if you can take the side effects.
  • kellyanneblack
    Options
    Hi i lost 22lb went from 11st 3 til 9st 5lb i struggled alot with my weight i suffer from pcos along with hypothyroidism extremely difficult but possible
  • Courtshorr
    Courtshorr Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Check out my profile! I have before and after pics of my loss! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • JFJahnke
    JFJahnke Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've got PCOS and have always had a small waist. It just comes down to your body type, not the condition. You're better than any condition! Don't give up!!