Have you tried Alli?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone has tried Alli weight loss capsules and, if so, how it worked for you.

Thanks!

Replies

• jlregan
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone has tried Alli weight loss capsules and, if so, how it worked for you.

Thanks!
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: i havent tried it but the nurse that i work with says it woks. What it does is helps u expel(if u know what i mean:frown: ) if u eat to much fatty foods... so if u eat alot of foods with alot of fat content u will have diareaha..thats what im told.. that and her husband tried it except he was on the medication that is just like it perscribed by a doctor and he alot of leakage from his rectum!!!! sorry thats what she tells us girls at work,, he ruined many of clothes.. but i was gonna take the chance so if any of u have tried it please tell all.....:laugh:
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    (Sorry for the graphic descriptions here :blushing: )I have tried Alli. After all the hype I wanted to see if it worked or not. It did work for me. They provide you with pretty comprehensive information with the pack that you get. It works by expelling fat that would otherwise be taken in by your body. By doing this you can lose up to 50% more weight than you would otherwise. So for instance if I would normally lose 5lbs with diet and exercise I would lose 10lbs. Alot has been made about the "side effects" of leakage, etc. I didn't have any of these side effects. If you do eat a meal that is very fatty when you do use the bathroom you can see the excess fat. It looks like an orangish oily substance. Soemthing they don't really tell you is that alcohol consumption can also cause some of that too. But like I said there was never any spontaneous leakage or anything even close. I also had a friend that tried it that has some gastrointestinal issues and she did fine on it to and had no side effects. One really important note is that you should plan on taking a multivitamin each day while taking Alli to ensure that the good nutrients are being absorbed. Hope this helps! I'll be glad to answer any other questions.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i have irritable bowel syndrome with constipation i wonder if it would do me some good??
    mayb i will try it..
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    i have irritable bowel syndrome with constipation i wonder if it would do me some good??
    mayb i will try it..
    [/quote

That's what my friend had also and she did fine with it. I wonder if you can get a sample from their website because it is kind of pricey, especially if it doesn't work for you.
  • noogiep
    Options
    Yes! And you will not only get diarrhea if you eat just a little more fat than what you should, but it will stain your pants with this foul smelling orange fatty stuff. I ruined my favorite shorts with that stuff. I don't recommend it.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Eventually you have to learn to eat right. Everyone is looking for that magic pill. Honestly, you know what you should and shouldn't eat and alli isn't going to let you eat a family size bag of chips and feel any better about it the next day than if you did that without the pill.

Something I have learned in my journey to a better me is that you have to take baby steps, aim for 1-2 lbs a week and gradually introduce healthier items into your daily food and eventually you will learn that fast food and the other crap doesn't taste good and you feel like crap when you eat it so you stop. When we make huge changes, like cutting everything out all at once that is when we are most likely to fail at eatting right because we feel "deprived".

The only way to loose weight and keep it off is to eat a healthy balanced diet and to exercise....period!

Plus, do you really want to risk crapping your pants at the grocery store or staining your favorite pants or having stomach aches from eatting a steak instead of chicken once in awhile?
  • pritybrwneyez
    Options
    i completely understand where you're coming from. last year i joined la weight loss (now pure weight loss) and lost 30 pounds. I was so limited to the amount of food that I could eat it was ridiculous. I eventually strayed away and gained the weight back (slowly since I lost it in a healthy way). I have recently started WW and it is the best! I don't feel hungry and I can eat whatever I want as long as stay within my daily points allowance. The points system forces me to make healthier choices. I've tried a number of diets, and this is the one that works (for me).
  • miche1e
    miche1e Posts: 11
    Options
    i tried alli and found the effects quite disturbing ...definitely not for me.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, and I don't condone it either. I understand why the FDA approved it, but from a health standpoint, it makes very little sense.
    The reason we gain fat is NOT because we eat it. It's because we either eat too many calories (of any variety), and/or we eat simple sugars that cause large increases in insulin, which is sort of like a 'bus' that picks up nutrients and shuttles them into our muscle and fat. Eat a meal high in simple carbohydrate/sugar and fat (like junk food) and you're really setting yourself up for fat gain, especially if you've already eaten too much for the day.
    So when I look at a product like Alli, which blocks absorption of a nutrient as important as fat without even discriminating between trans and polyunsaturated, I believe that it's pointing people in the wrong direction. Fat is used for MANY more things than storage. Go on a very low fat diet and you'll find that your skin is itchy and dry, your hair is brittle, and your immune response isn't as good as it should be. There's no reason to 'block' fat.
    For good fat loss (and good health in general), keep an eye on your simple carbohydrates and sugar to keep your insulin levels lower and steady. Eating a meal low in fat but high in sugar is totally fine if you're on Alli, but it's the opposite of what you should be doing. Fat doesn't make you fat, and anywhere from 20-30% of your daily calories is recommended and very healthy.
  • NatalieSmith
    Options
    I looked for it but you can't get it in Canada yet.
  • tonidemeza
    Options
    I tried it...but I never really saw any results because I was following a low fat diet. Maybe use it if you are going to be eating out for a special occassion or something where you know you're going to be having a high fat/cal meal. I wouldn't rely on it for much else. But that is just my personal opinion.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    probably can't get it in canada because they don't let the drug companies and the fda use the general population as unwitting guinea pigs. It never fails that within a few years of the fda approving such "miracle" drugs that they find out over longer periods of time than the trials lasted they start finding disturbing health risks. Doesn't anyone remember Phen-fen? Or how about the wonderful OLESTRA that they were adding to bags of fried food, like chips and people were having horrible bowel problems with it, not to mention the wonderful orange poo that apparently came with it.

YOU MUST EAT RIGHT AND EXERCISE TO LOOSE WEIGHT, GET OVER THE MIRACLES AND GO DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO!

If that sounds mean...oh well, I will live!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    probably can't get it in canada because they don't let the drug companies and the fda use the general population as unwitting guinea pigs. It never fails that within a few years of the fda approving such "miracle" drugs that they find out over longer periods of time than the trials lasted they start finding disturbing health risks. Doesn't anyone remember Phen-fen? Or how about the wonderful OLESTRA that they were adding to bags of fried food, like chips and people were having horrible bowel problems with it, not to mention the wonderful orange poo that apparently came with it.

YOU MUST EAT RIGHT AND EXERCISE TO LOOSE WEIGHT, GET OVER THE MIRACLES AND GO DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO!

THANK YOU!!!! If there was a miracle drug, we would all be thin:love:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Great post! No one said you had to be nice hahah :bigsmile: Ahhh Olestra...I think they printed a warning about 'anal leakage' right on the bag. Yummy.:sick:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    My whole thinking on any diet pill is that it may show short term results, but the only way to have long term results is to make life changes. Change the way you eat, drink and exercise, and you will see results that last.
  • kmckesson
    Options
    what about xenical... anyone tried that?
  • kbernardy
    Options
    yeah...and don't do it...bad things happen... In fact, I have almost a whole bottle that you can have...
  • rockymtnguy
    Options
    I concur with the consensus, there is no such thing as a miracle pill. Only consistent positive energy, and good old fashioned hard work. Excellent support Group !!
  • AlisaO92
    Options
    Don't do it. It's extremely harmful to your body. My IBS is pretty bad, even though I am only 17 years old and very athletic. I take an Align in the morning, a multi-vitamin, and two Digestive Advantage-IBS pills every day. You just have to find the right mix of things that work for you. Also, look at helpforibs.com. Heather(the author of the site) saved my life; my IBS would have gotten progressively worse if it wasn't for her. Hope this helps!