Outta carb allotment, still need more calories

Options
My trainer wants me to eat 60 grams of carbs or less per day. As you can see from my diary,
I am at 62. The problem is, I am still 500 calories under my goal for the day. What the heck can I eat? It's important I reach my calories today, because I have my most intense workout of the week tomorrow.

Thanks!

Replies

• hei_ma_ma
    hei_ma_ma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    pave-rump-steak-03.jpg
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Chicken
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A whole bunch of lean protein. I'd go for shrimp.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be listening to your trainer... What nutrition degree does he/she have? If the answer is none and you want nutritional guidance seek out a registered dietitian.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The problem with protein is once you consume more protein than your fat your protein turns into glucose, I would try to up your intake ( are you hungry? Or doing this because of your calorie goals?) by having something with more fat. Ie, omelette with cheese.
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    increase the fat (the other source of energy) and make sure you eat a moderate amount of protein.

I usually add a tbsp of olive oil, pure sesame oil, a few almonds or cheese to top up.

Hope this helps.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    pave-rump-steak-03.jpg

Can't go wrong with this. :bigsmile:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Why is a trainer giving nutritional advice anyway? Trainers are not trained in nutrition.

Anyway, if you want more calories, eat some greens. A big ol salad with some fruit in it. Forget the carb number.
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cheese is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Don't be afraid of fats. If you are keeping to your cal goal and are restricting carbs you have to up your fats and protein.

Coffee with heavy cream 4tbs is 200cals no carbs
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Cheese is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

I thought that was beer, but I suppose cheese and bacon also prove this. :drinker: :heart:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Why is a trainer giving nutritional advice anyway? Trainers are not trained in nutrition.

Yes, because some random person on the Internet is more credible...
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    A trainer isn't a health care professional. Did you ask for the reason they suggested such a low amount? That's less than half the daily recommended amount, which is often seen as too low, anyway. I get over 300 grams/day.

Please give this a read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Within this thread is a link to this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Best of luck!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Anyway, if you want more calories, eat some greens. A big ol salad with some fruit in it. Forget the carb number.

Lol. Ironic post is ironic.

Discuss with your trainer why he/she has this as a goal. Are they taking into consideration total cals or just using a carb reduction as a means of cutting calories? In the meantime, steak, fish, chicken, turkey or dairy will help you get to your goal.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The problem with protein is once you consume more protein than your fat your protein turns into glucose, I would try to up your intake ( are you hungry? Or doing this because of your calorie goals?) by having something with more fat. Ie, omelette with cheese.

We need at least an equal amount of fat compared to protein or else the protein turns into a carb?

I eat 170ish g of protein daily. I eat 80ish g of fat daily. You're telling me that 90g of my protein actually becomes glucose?

Through what sort of wizardry does this happen?

:huh:
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Cheese, eggs, avocadoes...
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

If you say so. Personally, i'd rather get nutritional info from doctors, nutritionists, nutritional scientists, and personal experimentation. But, if you'd rather trust randos on the net, be my guest.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

If you say so. Personally, i'd rather get nutritional info from doctors, nutritionists, nutritional scientists, and personal experimentation. But, if you'd rather trust randos on the net, be my guest.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQezvDt5z_qLZVYjbZsntlsHy2AcbA7zRid4Lht2Uo_vxoC9v4Ybw
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Umm, you don't read sarcasm well, do you?
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options

We need at least an equal amount of fat compared to protein or else the protein turns into a carb?

I eat 170ish g of protein daily. I eat 80ish g of fat daily. You're telling me that 90g of my protein actually becomes glucose?

Through what sort of wizardry does this happen?

:huh:

What I think our pal meant is that we get traditionally most of our calories from carbs or fat. Any excess protein will be broken down into energy.