Too much water

Options
Can anyone tell me if you can drink too much water ??? ! am hearing conflicting stories on the subject.

Pamela xxxx:flowerforyou:

Replies

• cherryb
    cherryb Posts: 10
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if you can drink too much water ??? ! am hearing conflicting stories on the subject.

Pamela xxxx:flowerforyou:
  • michaelhe
    michaelhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. A woman died from drinking too much water during a radio station promotion "Hold your wee for a Wii"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I've heard of that. It is something with getting your sodium levels off balance.
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    yes you can, it takes a lot though i think
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    too much water can throw off your electrolyte balance and cause a heart attack. This would really only happen if you were drinking excessive amounts and not letting yourself go to the bathroom or eat.
  • joey16g
    joey16g Posts: 63
    Options
    Wee wee for a Wii, thats funny! Sucks that someone died though. Really. Thats tragic. That takes a lot of water to throw off your electrolyte imbalance that much. I can't even hold it through half a movie, I go like 20 times a day. I drink a lot of water I guess, but I also eat a lot of salt in my diet.
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Wee wee for a Wii, thats funny! Sucks that someone died though. Really. Thats tragic. That takes a lot of water to throw off your electrolyte imbalance that much. I can't even hold it through half a movie, I go like 20 times a day. I drink a lot of water I guess, but I also eat a lot of salt in my diet.

so if you drink alot of water you're supposed to eat more salt? correct me if i'm wrong! i'm totally confused now.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    No not really, the instance where the lady died, she was in a competition about who could drink the most water and not go to the bathroom. they were not eating anything either. They let her go home, and her electrolyte balance had dropped so low from over hydration that she had a heart attack.. Eating normally and drinking a good amount of water is fine. You dont want to add salt to your diet just because you are drinking more. This is like an extreme case, and we all know, moderation is key!!
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    There is also a condition called 'water intoxication'.

When I was a detective I had a couple cases where we would have fraternity rushes involving having pledges drink copious amounts of water. The end result being that they were usually extremely messed up, as if they had imbibed a lot of alcohol. This was eventually stopped after we had two students that almost died. (talking pumping chest CPR in the back of an ambulance almost dying).

This is prtty rare though. I think that as long as you drink until you are full, and 'release' excess fluids you aren't at any risk at all for unwated side effects (like having your bladder burst, or dying in a poll of your own vomit...why did I just write that, that was totally unnecessary...:noway: )

Anyhoo, like I said, drink water to hydrate, any more than you need and your body will conveniently dispose of it nice and tidy like.
  • timragan
    timragan Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started dieting March 3, 2008 at 426 lbs. I was told to drink half my weight in ozs of water every day. I will tell you that if you are consuming 213 ozs of water every day there is quite a bit of exercise in just going to the bathroom. I've done that and try to do so every day though I am down to just needing 166 ozs daily now. Its a lot easier to drink and I've lost my taste for diet sodas. About the only thing I drink besides water is iced tea and decaf coffee. Mostly I consume water.

Cheers!