Help :( Dieting for 3 weeks with no results !

Options
Started a while ago at 13 stone 3 and got down to 12 stone 5 a while back by doing a diet plan such as weight watchers, I then stopped that for a couple of months but maintained my 12.5.

Now.... i have a problem ! :(

I have been doing everything i can to lose weight over the last three weeks - eating 1200 calories and exercising 5 times a week ! Doing cardio, strength etc...

Recently seen a question about this and someone said you might not be eating enough. So i worked out that i should really be eating at the minimum 1400 calories a day if im exercising that much! I find it rather confusing but willing to give anything a go - so this week started to eat 1400 a day!

I have been working my muscles a lot but not lost any inches! Really getting annoyed but do not want to give in. I want to slim down but also get fit.

I was 14 years old and weighed 16 stone and got down to 11 stone in less than a year with NO exersise and only eat 1100 a day! So i guess this is annoying me too.

Im also concerned that as i increase my calories to 1400 i will gain weight and it will not benefit me. Ive increased the calories from 1200 to 1400 over 4 days.

Im guessing this post my annoy some people but im 21 now and not really wise to this as much anymore. So any advice would be gladly welcomed !!!

Thank you in advance !! Xx

Replies

• buttnuggy92
    Options
    This is the same thing that is happening to me :cry: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • lshand28
    lshand28 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Its irritating ! :cry:
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into your TDEE-20%? 1400 sounds low for someone that works out 5x a week.

What this sounds like is underestimating your intake. Do you "eyeball" your portions, use measuring cups/spoons? I would invest in a food scale. Weighing your food ensures you're getting the correct amount.
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just don't stop! Measure everything, track everything, make sure to eat some exercise calories back, and it'll happen eventually. trust me! I go through this a lot lately I bang my head against the wall when im stuck for a few weeks. But its science my friend. if youve created a calorie deficit you WILL lose weight just be patient. Add me if you like :)
  • lshand28
    Options
    Thank you ! :smile:
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, it is a proven fact that your body takes up to 4 weeks to realize you are on a diet and to catch up. Second, water water water water water water. 3rd, you may not be logging correctly. Measure everything. 4th, you may be over calculating your calories burned if you are not using a heart rate monitor. Slice MFP numbers in half when it comes to calories burned. And lastly, hang in there. If it were easy, everyone would be skinny sexy fit people. Its hard. We know. Add me if you want. Hope this helps.

PS. Did I mention water? Drink it before each meal. Drink it when you are bored. Drink it all the time. If you don't like water, add mio, or tea...but drink it.
  • lshand28
    Options
    I do measure everything :(. I feel bad for eating 1400. I also do not really understand this TDEE tbh. Like i said im new to it. :tongue:
  • lshand28
    Options
    THank you. Yeah I bought a heart rate monitor ages ago :) Should i eat the calories i burn ?? :ohwell:
  • Xaudelle
    Options
    I do measure everything :(. I feel bad for eating 1400. I also do not really understand this TDEE tbh. Like i said im new to it. :tongue:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • lshand28
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • lshand28
    Options
    So my TDEE is 2514 :/ And if i want to eat 30% under it that is 1760. Is this no a lot of calories to consume ?? I dont think i would eat this on a normal day without dieting :(
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Put your stats in here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Use the sedentary modifier and then eat back your exercise calories. Or, if your exercise is consistent (intensity, duration, etc.) from week to week, use one of the exercise modifiers and that amount (it will include your exercise calories here, so adding them back on would mean you would overeat).

When you pick your deficit amount, keep this in mind so you don't end up running the risk of eating too little:

More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week (or approx. 20%)
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week (or approx. 15%)
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week (or approx. 10%)
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week (or approx. 5%)

The closer you get to your goal weight, the closer you want to eat to your maintenance calories, so you would need to rerun your stats every 5-10 pounds lost.

And make sure your macros are set well. MFP tends to set fats and protein too low. 40% carbs and 30% fats and protein is a good starting point.

Best of luck!
  • Xaudelle
    Options
    So my TDEE is 2514 :/ And if i want to eat 30% under it that is 1760. Is this no a lot of calories to consume ?? I dont think i would eat this on a normal day without dieting :(

Stop thinking of it as dieting. Diets are restrictive. Calorie deficit. What you put in is less than you your churn out. That is all that matters. This doesn't have to happen over night. Hell, this doesn't even have to be 100% of the time. A lot of folks take the 80-20 approach. 80% "good" stuff, 20% "bad" stuff every day. Though demonizing food is not my point... you get it. You can eat ANYTHING in a calorie deficit and lose weight. Aim for more nutritious, wholesome food and allow for treats in your daily, weekly, biweekly, whatever, life. :)

1700+ sounds about right for your TDEE! Eat that every day. Eat a little less on your non exercise days. Do not eat your exercise calories back. It's that simple. It IS very possible. Choose calorie-dense additives and foods. Avocado, cheeses, meats, olive oil, nuts, nut butters, etc. Those are packed with calories without having to consume a lot in volume.

Remember that losing weight takes patience. .5-1 lb lost each week is the goal to lose weight in a healthy way.

You can do this! Give it a shot.
  • lshand28
    Options
    Thank you a lott :smile:

Im just getting rather obsessed with eating less i guess :/ but im willing to try anything even if that means eating more !!
  • lshand28
    Options

Stop thinking of it as dieting. Diets are restrictive. Calorie deficit. What you put in is less than you your churn out. That is all that matters. This doesn't have to happen over night. Hell, this doesn't even have to be 100% of the time. A lot of folks take the 80-20 approach. 80% "good" stuff, 20% "bad" stuff every day. Though demonizing food is not my point... you get it. You can eat ANYTHING in a calorie deficit and lose weight. Aim for more nutritious, wholesome food and allow for treats in your daily, weekly, biweekly, whatever, life. :)

1700+ sounds about right for your TDEE! Eat that every day. Eat a little less on your non exercise days. Do not eat your exercise calories back. It's that simple. It IS very possible. Choose calorie-dense additives and foods. Avocado, cheeses, meats, olive oil, nuts, nut butters, etc. Those are packed with calories without having to consume a lot in volume.

Remember that losing weight takes patience. .5-1 lb lost each week is the goal to lose weight in a healthy way.

You can do this! Give it a shot.

As I have eaten 1200 for 3 weeks.. would this impact on eating 1700 + do you think ? Or do you think my body would appreciate the calories? :ohwell:

Also sorry to pry but how have you done so well ie) fitness/calories etc ? Feel free not to answer :smile:
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I found TDEE -20% didnt work for me (my exercise: type, time, and strength) differed from day to day and week to week (plus being a shift worker doesnt help :( )

I found working out my BMR worked better for me (that the minimum your body needs to be eating per day) then I could eat back my exercise calories without worring about exercising too little or eating back too much

Measure and Weigh EVERYTHING if you add squash to water make sure you read the label and measure it accurately (I just found out recently that I mutinied myself due to misunderstanding how ribena measured their calories -- I thought I was drinking 101 calories whereas it was closer to 450 cals :sad: )

Drink all the water you can muster (I hate the taste and my colleagues hate me ssappearing to the ladies every 20 mins lol, but its go keep your body clear)

Just spend your time right now figuring out whats best for you (TDEE or BMR) it all comes down to personal preference

http://iifym.com/bmr-calculator/

The biggest difference I can see between TDEE and BMR is:

TDEE -20% - works best if you do the same amount of cal burn everyday then you just stick with the calories suggested
    BMR - if your not sure what cals burn will be then eat your basic minimum and eat back anything you burn in exercise (if you feel like a treat then you can always exercise more before hand)

Good Luck :)

xxx
  • Xaudelle
    Options
    I found TDEE -20% didnt work for me (my exercise: type, time, and strength) differed from day to day and week to week (plus being a shift worker doesnt help :( )

I found working out my BMR worked better for me (that the minimum your body needs to be eating per day) then I could eat back my exercise calories without worring about exercising too little or eating back too much

Measure and Weigh EVERYTHING if you add squash to water make sure you read the label and measure it accurately (I just found out recently that I mutinied myself due to misunderstanding how ribena measured their calories -- I thought I was drinking 101 calories whereas it was closer to 450 cals :sad: )

Drink all the water you can muster (I hate the taste and my colleagues hate me ssappearing to the ladies every 20 mins lol, but its go keep your body clear)

Just spend your time right now figuring out whats best for you (TDEE or BMR) it all comes down to personal preference

http://iifym.com/bmr-calculator/

The biggest difference I can see between TDEE and BMR is:

TDEE -20% - works best if you do the same amount of cal burn everyday then you just stick with the calories suggested
    BMR - if your not sure what cals burn will be then eat your basic minimum and eat back anything you burn in exercise (if you feel like a treat then you can always exercise more before hand)

Good Luck :)

xxx

This is not recommended because your BMR is the bare minimum amount your body requires to keep your organs functioning. TDEE includes not only your exercise, but what work you do each day or how active in general you keep. Example: You eat your BMR but you work at a high energy job 6-8 hours a day like retail, you have kids and play with them, and workout 5x a week. If you're only eating back the 1-300 or so calories you burn during a 30 minute exercise, it's not going to be enough to sustain you.
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do measure everything :(.

When you say you are measuring everything are you using a kitchen scale (ie. grams) or measuring cups? Measuring cups are fine for liquid, but for solids you should use a kitchen scale. A few grams here or there of a calorie dense food (nuts, peanut butter, even greek yogurt) can make a big difference.