Vegetarian lunch ideas?

Options
Slacker16
Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
For a variety of reasons, I'd like to start restricting my consumption of dead beast to one meal a day.

I'm rather stuck on what to eat for lunch except for sandwiches with luncheon meat though. I tried the veggie sub with double cheese at Subway and it was... okay/10. Basically a grilled cheese with veggies and not enough cheese.

I'd be looking for stuff that can be bought ready-made and eaten on the go but would still be filling.

I know we have vegetarians here so, any suggestions?

Replies

• ditditdee
    ditditdee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you have a microwave handy, Amy's brand stuff is all vegetarian. Some is even vegan. Their burritos/wraps are a favorite of mine. Burger King also has a pretty decent veggie burger.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggie pizza options, fresh or frozen. Harvey's makes a veggie cheeseburger. Chipotle's and Megawraps have lots of veggie options. Salads from McDonalds, or if you live in Canada they make a couple veggie McWraps.
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to put a little work in, you'll save yourself from eating a bunch of preservatives and save yourself loads of money. One day a week I used to make a big batch of either rice and beans with veg or quinoa salad then portion it out into 4-7 "to go" containers. These meals are good cold and easy enough to grab and go. There are so many great recipes out there and they are pretty fool proof.

Our Subway has a "veggie patty" sub as well as the normal grilled cheese disappointment you just described. You might want to see if yours does that as well, or even get one of their egg sandwiches without meat to add a little more substance to the meal.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Ooh, thankfully breakfast and lunch are the easiest to "go veg"... there are tons of meat-free sandwich, panini, and wrap options out there... (borrow a page from the veg playbook at places like panera, which-wich, subway...) And ya don't have to replace the meat with cheese (trust me, there is such a thing as too much cheese). Also consider veggies w/hummus or yogurt dips. And salads (not all are lettuce based). And then you've got the whole "leftovers for lunch" route - think pasta, rice/couscous dishes, soups, veggie stir fries...
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Most tv dinner brands mske vegetarian meals and even hot pockets makes some
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Morningstar chik'n nuggets (they're vegetarian)
    Tortillas high in protein and fiber (I can't remember the brand, but I think they are considered low carb) with peanut butter for a boost in protein
    Any restaurant has a salad

Just remember if you go for the tv dinners and morningstar brand stuff it will most likely be high in sodium. Most of the time I just make a sandwich (pb&j or grilled cheese, etc) and have greek yogurt or a protein bar as a side as I have trouble reaching my protein goal. If you are willing to do 5-10 min prep time.
  • katebowen37
    katebowen37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I pack a big caesar salad, some fruit (cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries) some carrots and a little container of peanuts. If you get bored with a salad add different things to it: sunflower seeds, different dressings, baby tomatoes, peppers, onion, cucumbers, different cheeses, white, orange, feta crumbles... There's a lot of ways to customize a salad.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all for the suggestions :flowerforyou: I've been eating meat in almost all meals for years now and I've never been a salad guy, which is why I'm so clueless.
    Lots of veggie pizza options
    Major derp moment: I had totally forgotten that veggie pizza existed. Good call.
    Our Subway has a "veggie patty" sub as well as the normal grilled cheese disappointment you just described.
    Yup, I've seen it. Will try.
    Also consider veggies w/hummus or yogurt dips.
    Hummus wraps are pretty good, haven't seen them at the stores near work but would be a good way to get protein in.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hummus wraps are pretty good, haven't seen them at the stores near work but would be a good way to get protein in.

Mmmmm, hummmmmmus....

Just remembered you can make burritos, tacos & quesadillas with beans, cheeses, veggies, salsa or guac...
    You can do breakfast for lunch (loaded oatmeal; bagel & cream cheese; an egg & cheese muffin or frittata wedge (if eggs are ok); yogurt, fruit & granola; toaster waffles topped w/fruit, smoothie...)
    Don't forget about a wrap or sammie with PB & anything like preserves/nutella/apples/bananas (okay, not very "dietey" but yum!)
    You can do a nosh box with randomness like cut-up fruits & veggies, a yogurt cup, crackers or pretzels, a cheese stick or cubes, a hard boiled egg (?), some nuts, olives, hummus (again!), bagel or pita chips...

Check out these sites - so many lunch ideas! The pinterest link is insane...
    http://www.pinterest.com/jenniferswan82/healthy-vegetarian-lunches-for-work/
    http://www.marthastewart.com/853548/vegetarian-lunch-sandwich-recipes/@center/856055/lunch-recipes
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-lunches/
    http://www.vegkitchen.com/kid-friendly-recipes/school-lunch-recipes/