Indoor cardio, what do you do?

Options
I'd love to hear what others do for indoor cardio. I can't afford the gym, and it's FREEZING outside, and will be for the next 3 months!

I've been doing some dancing and I have resistance tubes to get some strength training in. Any other ideas?

Replies

• lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I do a variety of DVDs: a lot of Jillian Michaels-30 day shred, Blast Fat/Boost Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones. I also do BodyStrikes by Illana (I might have spelled her name incorrectly). I haven't become a P90X grad, but we have the DVD set. I regularly do CardioX, pylometrics, the X Stretch, and Abripper X. Basically, I have developed a library of choices over time and I do what I feel like doing that particular morning. I do have a few rules: Strength training and abs 3x a week, stretching most every night. I'm not coordinated so the Zumba routines and other dancing ones don't appeal to me. They acutally do appeal to me, but I get so frustrated trying to keep up that it's not worth it to me. We also have a spin bike that I got on Craigslist and a good elliptical, so I work that stuff in from time to time.
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wii EA Sports Fitness - the squats are a killer! I recommend wearing your iPod though when you do the "game". I can't stand their music. HA! Biggest Loser also has a huge line of DVDs at Wal-Mart.
  • chris2991
    Options
    Walk/Run up and down the stairs. jog up them 5 times then walk p and down them for 30 minutes

2383599.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Definitely workout DVDs. I have Turbo Fire that's great for cardio. Treadmill or elliptical or stationary bike is good too. You should try checking on Craigslist, people are always selling workout equipment for super cheap because they want it out of the house. If you have space, you can probably find a treadmill or something for under $100.
  • gates1064
    gates1064 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do Kettlebell training. Takes up little space and it is the TOTAL body workout.
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I do the wii fit plus. I mainly do the free step, and the hula hoops.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I use my treadmill, do Wii Active, or I check out On Demand's Exercise TV for free. They have a ton of different workouts to chose from. I've also rented DVDs from the library (also free) or gone to the vidoe rental store to get Wii games.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I do leslie sansone walking dvds and wii fit plus and wii sports, find something you enjoy because you will do it more often and any movement is better then none. I also run in place and do push ups , squats, lunges and resistance bands while watching tv
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    We do the deck of death. Just another name for exercise cards.
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options

I still chuckle at the first time I did the hula hoops. My dog sat on the floor next to me with such a puzzled expression. "I don't understand the game we are playing mom." hehe
  • deagn5
    deagn5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i don't know where you live but if you have comcast cable they have exercise tv (through on demand) which is great because you can choose, what you want to do and how long you want to do it. if not i would go the dvd route as well. i am looking into buying some myself, its just easier for me to exercise at home at this point
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I did this workout the other day in my house... fitting for the season
    "The 12 Days of Christmas"
    1 - Vsit
    2 - Thrusters
    3- Pigs on Ice
    4 - push press
    5 - lunges (each side)
    6 - push ups
    7- sit ups
    8 - tricep dips
    9 - Kettle Bell Swings
    10 - burpees
    11 - Mountain Climbers (each leg)
    12 - Kayak twists (each side)

... the idea is to count each one down so: 1 vsit, move onto Thrusters & 1 vsit.... 3 pigs, 2 thruster, 1 vsit... 4 push press, 3 pigs, 2 thrusters, 1 vsit... TOTAL body workout and pretty intense burn!
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Kinect sports, Kinect Biggest Loser, Turbo Jam, 30 day shred, p90x, zumba....those would be good dvds

Look into an affordable treadmill and try to train for a 5k. Give yourself a goal and work towards it! You can do it!
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I have a treadmill and a bike in the house. I hate the treadmill and am probably going to try to sell it soon. I do like my bike but have been using the bike at the gym more lately. We also have tunnels underneath the office and i take about 45 minutes on days i am not going to the gym to go down there and walk. You could go to the mall and do the same.

I remember several years ago a guy talking about going out jogging in the winter. I am in Nebraska and it can get just bitter sometimes in the winter. I remember it was about one of those times when we were in a streak of below zero temps and he was still going running. They asked him why and he said that as soon as he allowed himself the excuse to skip because it was cold, he would start to skip for any reason... to warm, to windy, to rainy, etc. So he just went out and did it.

That's way more hardcore than I am, but maybe that is why I have so much work to do. I hate going for a walk at home when I don't take the dog with me. I don't like taking the dog now because of all the salt on the sidewalks. Maybe it is time to get a little more hardcore and find her some booties so we can go walk even in the winter.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options

me too, also do the free step and hula hoops along with the boxing.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    1 - Vsit
    2 - Thrusters
    3- Pigs on Ice
    4 - push press
    5 - lunges (each side)
    6 - push ups
    7- sit ups
    8 - tricep dips
    9 - Kettle Bell Swings
    10 - burpees

... the idea is to count each one down so: 1 vsit, move onto Thrusters & 1 vsit.... 3 pigs, 2 thruster, 1 vsit... 4 push press, 3 pigs, 2 thrusters, 1 vsit... TOTAL body workout and pretty intense burn!

What on Earth are Pigs on Ice?
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    1 - Vsit
    2 - Thrusters
    3- Pigs on Ice
    4 - push press
    5 - lunges (each side)
    6 - push ups
    7- sit ups
    8 - tricep dips
    9 - Kettle Bell Swings
    10 - burpees

What a great idea! Do you mind if I steal it?
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I use my elliptical machine or DVDs. I LOVE The Firm DVDs - I have some favs that I rotate between.
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just requested some DVDs from the library, thanks for that idea.

I've been scouring craigslist the last week for an elliptical (I have bad knees) but so far, most are asking way out of my budget. But I'm confident I'll find something sometime.
  • inspiration
    inspiration Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do Billy Blanks DVD (pretty old school but I love it). He does kick too fast though so I go at my own pace. I also do Jillian Michaels DVD's. In twenty minute workouts she kicks your butt. I have On Demand on my TV so I also do Cardioke and Zumba since it is free.