Running your first Mud Run this year?

Options

Replies

• I'm running in the Warrior Dash May 31st, Tough Mudder on June 1st and Run For Your Lives (zombie run) Oct 18th, all in Massachusetts. I'm borderline addicted. Or maybe I do it for the free beer at the end.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm running in the Warrior Dash May 31st, Tough Mudder on June 1st and Run For Your Lives (zombie run) Oct 18th, all in Massachusetts. I'm borderline addicted. Or maybe I do it for the free beer at the end.

I LOVE zombie runs!!!! The last zombie run I did had "World War Z" zombies and the kid zombies were soooooo fast they killed me at the first mile mark :sad: I prefer "Walking Dead" zombies :tongue:
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Im doing a MudMan in Kimball MN this aug,,they have a website if your really interested,with a map and such..I am doing 5x5 three times a week with added pushups and pullups those days,I do TKD for 2-3 hours twice a week and try to run once/twice a week,I ran 5k on sunday in 38 minutes,mostly because my HRM kept telling me to slow down.When the weather gets nicer and the TKD gym shuts down for the summer I will be doing biking more,I also ride horse as often as possible.I also try to get yoga in at least once a week somewhere also.

Are you currently doing hills? Looks like the race is on a skill hill. :)

This itself is definitely one of the hardest obstacles. You can do walking lunges to help to prepare for them but nothing beats sprinting up a hill with a steep incline.

http://www.mudrunprep.com/toughest-obstacles/
    hi,yes starting today I am going to at least once a week go to the local county park with horse trails,,lots of hills as its in a river valley.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    - What race(s) are you running?
    Warrior Dash, Dirty Dash, Blacklight Run

- What are your concerns?
    Getting too winded and wanting to die, losing my shoes in the mud, hurting my ankles or shins

- And what are you doing for training?
    I crossfit and I'm working on treadmill runs until it's warmer out, then I'll try and run outside. I can't even run a mile on the real ground yet
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I'm running in the Warrior Dash May 31st, Tough Mudder on June 1st and Run For Your Lives (zombie run) Oct 18th, all in Massachusetts. I'm borderline addicted. Or maybe I do it for the free beer at the end.

Let's be warrior dash buddies!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i've got the spartan race 4/12

coming off a forearm muslce tare and extreamly minor back surgery, i tore my calf muscle 3 days ago on the treadmill.

when i sign up for this is was in good shape... because of illness an injuries i haven't been to the gym since thanksgiving and not even done a pull up since feb.

I'm dead set on doing this... even if i have to walk the 5K

I had been doing Insanity plus running a few miles at a time.

right now, i'm just hoping to be 70-80 % healthy by race time.

I don't want to back out, but stubburoness is what lead to at least one of these injuries.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have a 5k mud run in June... thinking about a zombie run in August.
    I've been running (in general) and plan trail runs over the next month or two. My concerns aren't even the obstacles - it's more the actual act of running. I'm pretty strong (yes I even lift), but I'm a total noob to running.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    this is also my mentality. but i mean, there is likely more then 5 obsticles, so you'll never be running more then 1 k at a time.

plus i'm assuming there will be some lines or some kind of back up at the obsticles themselves, forcing rest time.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    this is also my mentality. but i mean, there is likely more then 5 obsticles, so you'll never be running more then 1 k at a time.

plus i'm assuming there will be some lines or some kind of back up at the obsticles themselves, forcing rest time.

Excellent points! Like I said, I'm a total noob to this stuff... I had not even thought about that.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    lol just remember they are assumptions ;)

never done one either
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

Shorter courses, this is definitely true as the courses lengthen out (TM - from experience and Spartan Super/Beast-at a guess) You get some longer run sections, but you know what...
    You don't have to run it if you don't want to!

Most of these mud runs are for fun and to challenge yourself, not race others.
  • leviclampitt
    Options

I run a couple miles a few times a week. I did a 5k in March. I am doing a 5k this Saturday and I am doing a 5k the begining of June. My backyard is a steep hill... I am going to start practicing running up and down it - probably next week. (I've been waiting for weather to improve - but time is up, I need to get going). I am not particularly concerned about the distance (It is supposed to be about 4 miles - that's the easy part).

I have really been focusing on counting calories. I figure every single little pound I lose between now and then is one less pound I have to hoist up over those obstacles.

Your definitely right about leaning out. Less excess weight here (the bad kind), the easier it will be.

As far as that hill, many things you can do with it:

- put weight in backpack and run up it (or carry it in front of you)
    - get a 2x4 and run with it up the hill (awkward = hard = more calories burned)
    - farmers walk up the hill (2 weights at side). This will really work your glutes.
    - pulling a sled
    - the list goes on...
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    I'm running mud hero the first week in August. The only thing concerning me is some of the deeper mud pits - depending on the consistency of the mud, I may have to go around rather than through, in order to protect my knee. Other than that, looking forward to have a fun race.

What do you have: Patella tendinitis?
  • leviclampitt
    Options

The beer is definitely a large part of it for me as well, haha.

PS - I believe "Run For Yours Lives" was disbanded (and only runs in asia now). Am I mistaken?
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    - What race(s) are you running?
    Warrior Dash, Dirty Dash, Blacklight Run

- What are your concerns?
    Getting too winded and wanting to die, losing my shoes in the mud, hurting my ankles or shins

- And what are you doing for training?
    I crossfit and I'm working on treadmill runs until it's warmer out, then I'll try and run outside. I can't even run a mile on the real ground yet

The running aspect is really overblown. Yes, you have to cover 3 miles but the obstacles (some of them being pure fun) allow for a lot of rest. So this idea that you have to run 3 miles straight before you should do one of these races = bogus. The big thing is being able to catch your breath after your heart rate has taking off. If you are already doing crossfit, you are working on that.

For shoes, some people tape their shoelaces with duct tape to make sure they don't come undone.

For shins, wear knee high socks (nylon/spandex > cotton)
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am! I'm running Mud Factor on May 17th and I keep thinking I've lost my mind!
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    i've got the spartan race 4/12

coming off a forearm muslce tare and extreamly minor back surgery, i tore my calf muscle 3 days ago on the treadmill.

If it's legit calf tear, you're looking at a 2 week recovery time (at least). Make sure to NOT stretch it but rather give it daily massage (to prevent scar tissue).

Eat well and sleep tons and hopefully you'll be ready just in time to participate in the Spartan.
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    I am! I'm running Mud Factor on May 17th and I keep thinking I've lost my mind!

Don't worry, you'll find it on the course. :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'm running mud hero the first week in August. The only thing concerning me is some of the deeper mud pits - depending on the consistency of the mud, I may have to go around rather than through, in order to protect my knee. Other than that, looking forward to have a fun race.

What do you have: Patella tendinitis?

I wish it was only that .... MCL is mostly scar tissue, ACL and PCL are very lax but no scar tissue, couple small meniscal tears, petallar femoral syndrome, and osteoarthritis from all the trauma I've sustained to it.
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    I have a 5k mud run in June... thinking about a zombie run in August.
    I've been running (in general) and plan trail runs over the next month or two. My concerns aren't even the obstacles - it's more the actual act of running. I'm pretty strong (yes I even lift), but I'm a total noob to running.

These races favor the strong ( = YOU).

Since you never run consecutively for more than 400 meters in these 5ks, I don't recommend it in training. Instead get your conditioning effect from weight training ( i.e less rest) and practice the short stuff (track and hill sprints) and throw in some HIIT once in awhile.