New to lifting - which gloves?

Options
peejaygee1
peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
So, call me Missy Princess Palms :blushing: , but I've recently started lifting and have determined I will need some weight lifting gloves to protect my little lady hands :ohwell: .

The question is, what should I be looking for in a set of gloves? I've done a bit of research and there are a variety of types including leather, elastic, half-gloves, wrap-around, backless, etc, and to be honest I have absolutely no idea what is a waste of money and what isn't.

Also, what is a reasonable amount of $$$ to spend on a pair?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Replies

• charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Target. They aren't fancy but they work great. I have tiny hands and I had a difficult time finding somewhere with XS. I was honestly surprised to run across some in Target :)
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just went to WalMart and got a pair of fingerless weightlifting gloves. You can find a lot of different kinds in the fitness section. You can always invest in an expensive pair, which will probably last longer. However, if you have a low amount of funds (like me :ohwell: ), then a $7 pair will work very well. Now I don't even like lifting without my gloves on.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    So, call me Missy Princess Palms :blushing: , but I've recently started lifting and have determined I will need some weight lifting gloves to protect my little lady hands :ohwell: .

The question is, what should I be looking for in a set of gloves? I've done a bit of research and there are a variety of types including leather, elastic, half-gloves, wrap-around, backless, etc, and to be honest I have absolutely no idea what is a waste of money and what isn't.

Also, what is a reasonable amount of $$$ to spend on a pair?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Just make sure they match your shoes and purse.

I kid! I kid!

Honestly though, I have very tiny lady hands as well and have been doing ok without any gloves. Are you having problems with grip or are you just concerned about aesthetic considerations?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    A friend got me a pair of Bionic gloves (I think that is the name); they have a nice soft padding in the palm and I like them a lot.

I have arthritis in the wrist and thumb joint so the palm of my hand is hallow and hard to hold the dumbbells so the gloves help a lot. I don’t know where he got them, maybe in 24 hours Fitness because he goes to that gym sometimes.
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    i got mine at meijer (kinda like a wal-mart). they were ladies crossfit gloves. i liked them because the padding was minimal but enough to protect my hands and they came in extra small. they're black with pink lining and i think they're snazzy lol.

i wouldn't recommend buying them online for a few reasons. 1. sizing. it varies and comfort is important. if it fits oddly, it'll affect your grip or cut into your fingers, give blisters, etc. and 2. the material. i have extremely sensitive hands which is why i use the gloves in the first place. the first pair i bought irritated my skin. if you have this issue, i'd definitely look around in a store.

eta: i spent maybe 15-20$ on the pair described above
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no gloves. If you are lifting it can affect you in a bad way by not letting you grip well.

I have been lifting for 30 weeks and yes I have callouses on my hand but they aren't bad...2 on my left (middle and ring finger) and 2.5 on my right (middle, ring and a start of one by my pinky)

I use a pumice stone a bit in the tub.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Got mine at walmart - less than $10. I definitely need gloves when lifting . I live in South Carolina - hot and humid much of the year = sweaty, slippery hands. Keeps weights from slipping out of my hands and onto someone's toes or head. Mine help me grip better.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Walmart - little leather padding, fabric on the back of my hands....I wear them because I don't like calluses on my hands - the fact that I lift like a construction worker doesn't mean my hands have to look that a construction worker's hands.... (Sorry guys!!:flowerforyou:

Also, sweaty palms don't work for me....
    The Walmart ones were around $12 CAD (so lots cheaper in the States...:sad:
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I got mine at the Sports Authority, I think they were probably about $20. I asked the same Q in my weightlifing forum and the girls there suggested to make sure that they're a snug fit. I had a lot of trouble carrying more than 45lbs in each hand (the knurls cut into my palms and left them looking like waffles!) and the gloves have helped a whole bunch.

Sucks that so many of the ladies' gloves were pink, though... I didn't have a lot of options in normal black.

EDIT: found 'em online here: http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13167342&view=grid Only $12, I misremembered. They work fine for me!
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started out lifting without gloves - the lifting was great but the calluses were uncomfortable. I got my gloves at Target approx 18 months ago. They're starting to fall apart now, but I think they were a good deal - around $10.

I just got a set of wrist wraps because lifting heavier weights made my wrists ache. If you have any issues with your wrists you might want to consider wraps along with gloves.
  • peejaygee1
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I live in Australia...so the sweaty palm thing is an issue, which is why I'm looking at getting gloves. Also - I work in an office, so the second I do anything vaguely manual with my hands I end up with blisters (probably not helped by the afore-mentioned sweaty palm thing).

I'll have a look at my local Target. We don't have Walmart here, but I'll definitely check out Kmart (which I think is our equivalent???)
    I wear them because I don't like calluses on my hands - the fact that I lift like a construction worker doesn't mean my hands have to look that a construction worker's hands.... (Sorry guys!!:flowerforyou:

Also, sweaty palms don't work for me....

^^^ And this ^^^
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm in Aus, I got mine from Rebel Sport. Can't remember how much, but I think they were under $20. They were the only place that had youth sizes for my teeny tiny hands :ohwell:

I don't think Kmart has anything. BigW might, but it'd be a stretch. They do however, have pretty good micro fibre gym towels that we use for swimming for $5 (guess where I went this morning lol).
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter. Whatever's comfortable. I generally don't use gloves myself.

If I was really trying to avoid callouses though... personally, I'd use some of those thin gardening gloves that breath well and have the rubbery texture on the palms. Yeah, I'd look fairly ridiculous, but who cares. Weight lifting gloves are generally fingerless and, speaking for myself, my gnarliest callouses are on my index fingers. :P
  • cindym29
    cindym29 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would usually spend between $8-$15 on a pair, and Walmart has them (Gold's Gym gloves), Target/ TJ Maxx has them too. I get ones that are padded on the palm and that velcro around my wrist. My finger tips are exposed in both pairs that I've ever used. It just takes a day to get used to wearing them, now I never notice I'm even wearing them!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Buy a pumice stone and some Aquaphor, and call it a day.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Real men dont wear gloves.....plus I hear you can get calluses with or without them on.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Real men dont wear gloves.....plus I hear you can get calluses with or without them on.

The OP is a woman.. and by the way, I have been wearing gloves for a very long time and I never got any calluses.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    No gloves
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia; I don't wear gloves but I know Amart Allsports and Rebel sports have some decent women's brands for between $20 - 30 (in Brisbane anyways).
  • peejaygee1
    Options
    I'm in Aus, I got mine from Rebel Sport. Can't remember how much, but I think they were under $20. They were the only place that had youth sizes for my teeny tiny hands :ohwell:

I don't think Kmart has anything. BigW might, but it'd be a stretch. They do however, have pretty good micro fibre gym towels that we use for swimming for $5 (guess where I went this morning lol).

Thanks for the local tips :happy: