To Weigh or Not to Weigh

Options
I've been using MFP for a few months to log my food and exercise, but this is my first post...and boy, do I need guidance.

In the past few months that I've been (mostly) on target, I've definitely lost some weight. My pants are significantly looser, my face is obviously thinner, etc. But I don't know how much for sure because...and here's the kicker...

I have no idea how much I weigh.

I recently discovered a pattern to my weight loss (or non-loss, whatever the case may be). If I weigh myself and I haven't lost weight, I spiral. I get extremely sad and then end up falling off plan. Every. single. time.

This time, I decided to avoid the scale altogether. I literally have no idea how much I weigh or how much I've lost. The other day, my coworker said, "You must have lost at least 15 pounds," and I shrugged and said, "Maybe."

Is this healthy? Is this something I should continue doing? Am I not facing facts/denying the truth?

I am so fearful of stepping on that scale and being disappointed. I can practically see the pile of cookies that would follow.

So many people say that the number on the scale is just that: just a number. That it's how you feel and how your clothes fit that are important. Have I taken this to the extreme by avoiding it altogether?

Or should I just stop worrying and and do what works for me?

Replies

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it's great! I truly wish I could do that. I obsess over the numbers on the scale (sometimes, not always). If you don't feel any need to weigh yourself and you're happy with the results you're seeing in your body, then why rock the boat?
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I weigh BUT I don't stress over the number. If you spiral out of control every time you see the number, throw your scale away. You're obviously making progress but you could easily weigh the same bc of muscle - weight alone is an inaccurate measure of FAT LOSS.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome! I can get pretty upset when I don't lose for a week (or, yeesh, gain 2 or 3). I am slowly learning to deal with that stupid little (well, big lol) number. But I'm also learning to appreciate the non-scale victories. Looser clothes, compliments, etc :)
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with not weighing as long as you have other measures of success or progress and are satisfied with them.

Everyone is different and each journey to health is different. This is a mental battle as much as a physical one, so you need to do what works for you.
  • maggie64mfp
    Options
    Wow, this is what I'm going to try this time around. The scales do the exact same thing to me. I don't think I will be able to stay completely off them but I'm going to try for just once every 2 or 3 weeks. Fingers crossed.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have never owned scales as an adult. I am tall with a large frame, so even when I was young and at my slimmest I knew I was heavier than school friends who wore similar size clothes to me. The the actual scale number meant nothing to me and I got used to going more on how clothes fit.

Fast forward many years and I'd say that although overall I'm glad that I've never been a slave to numbers on the scale, it's probably made it a bit easier to be slightly more in denial as I've started to put weight on. Until recently I hadn't voluntarily weighed myself in about 10 years! I was weighed during a hospital appointment about a year ago and was heavier than I had guessed, which was a bit of an alarm call. I spent the next year or so losing and gaining the same few pounds (or so I thought), until stepping on my partner's scales 2 weeks ago in a moment of madness and seeing that I was half a stone up on the hospital weigh in -eek!

I joined MFP the following morning and things have been going well so far. I have only weighed in once since my original weigh in, so that was 2 weeks, and I think I'll stick to the fortnightly weigh ins so that I'm keeping track but giving myself time so see improvements (hopefully!) each time I weigh. Not using scales for so long has meant that it was difficult to choose a goal weight for MFP as I have no idea what I weighed when I was the size I was happier with, so even though I'm now going to weigh myself every 2 weeks, I'll still need to go by the fit of a couple of key items of clothing as my main goal, whatever the number it says on the scale at that time.

Sounds like you're doing great so just keep up with whatever method keeps you happiest!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Or should I just stop worrying and and do what works for me?
    Yes, not only about weighing but with everything about weight loss and fitness. Despite the nagging of the know-everythings, everyone really is different.

I weigh myself every day and record it but the numbers have no influence on me. None. That doesn't make me better, just different. You are not alone, there are lots of people who are so affected by the numbers on the scale that they are better off skipping it.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I rarely step on a scale, either. It is just a number, and the reflection in the mirror is a more accurate depiction of success. Just keep doing what works for you.
  • kissesandstarch
    Options
    Thanks, guys. You definitely put my mind at ease a bit.

The only major downside is that it's really hard to participate in a lot of the challenges without weighing myself.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    If you are getting fitter, don't worry about the scale. I on the other hand, weigh every single day. I record my weight as well as BF, BW and BMI. But it is just a tool to use. I was happy when I was fat, and I'm still happy now that I'm smaller. I do enjoy seeing the post that says I have lost every week. But soon I will be at my maintenance weight, so I won't have that pleasure anymore.
  • miss_sassy35
    Options
    I was weighing myself a lot at first too and found out later that if you do that it should be the first thing in the morning because your weight fluctuates even throughout the day. But if I don't have to squeeze or hold my breath trying to squeeze into a dress I use that as a measuring guide for me. I am weighing myself less to cause like you said it makes you frustrated. I try to do it weekly for my own insanity. Keep up the good work.