Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated Fat

Options
Both of these have a goal set of zero a day on MFP. I sometimes have 1 or 2 grams in this category. When I researched this, the American Heart Association (heart.org) states that they can have a beneficial effect when consumed in moderation and when used to replace saturated fats or trans fats. Anyone have any insight on this? I just hate seeing it in the red as a bad thing on my diary.

ANYONE????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Replies

• mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Mono and polyunsaturated fats = good fats. Saturated = bad fat. Trans fat = ugly mutant artificially created stay away from at all cost fat. That being said, unsaturated fats are great for your overall health so try to get away from the notion that "eating fat will make you fat." Stock up on foods like avocados and nuts and try incorporating olive oil and/or coconut oil into your cooking instead of butter, margarine, or vegetable oil.
  • BrittneyJ2006
    BrittneyJ2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Your response is helpful. I read similar info as I looked further into it.
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    EvenThatNameIsTaken Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to know if there is a general recommended daily allowance for mono and poly-unsaturated fats?

Then we could customize the amounts of those fats in the Goals>Custom section.

I'll post back if I find anything but I imagine there is a reason MFP leaves it blank, i.e. lot of disagreement perhaps? dunno.

(ETA: it looks like it is just suggested to have as many fats be unsaturated as possible. )
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I've read that saturated fats are meant to be less than 7% of overall calories (i.e. 16 grams of saturated fat on a 2000 calorie intake), which would mean the mono- and poly-unsaturated ones should comprise the remainder of your fat macro (whatever you've set that to). I usually manually adjust this stuff in the goals section. Of course, I'm sure people on paelo diets will strongly disagree with that. But the 7% figure seems to be a common heart foundation guideline that I've encountered. Of course, those guidelines will vary slightly between countries.
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    Came across this article tonight, giving it a good read myself. Seems legit:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Mono and polyunsaturated fats = good fats. Saturated = bad fat. Trans fat = ugly mutant artificially created stay away from at all cost fat. That being said, unsaturated fats are great for your overall health so try to get away from the notion that "eating fat will make you fat." Stock up on foods like avocados and nuts and try incorporating olive oil and/or coconut oil into your cooking instead of butter, margarine, or vegetable oil.

What makes saturated fat bad?
  • jko90s
    jko90s Posts: 25
    Options

Yea and not all polyunsaturated fats are "good". omega 3 is good and you can easily get enough of that by consuming oily fish, fish oil etc
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options

Just quoting from the article, and adding that these are not the only studies done. There are many more, with the same conclusions, from other institutes.

"More recently, several studies seemed to suggest that eating diets high in saturated fat did not raise the risk of heart disease—a finding that ran counter to decades of dietary advice. (21,22) One highly-publicized report analyzed the findings of 21 studies that followed 350,000 people for up to 23 years. "
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Even if saturated fats do not have any negative impact on your health, they also likely have no positive impact. Also even if they are truly innocuous, the bulk of foods that are high in saturated fat are usually loaded with sodium and other chemicals as well. By all means if you think saturated fats aren't bad then keep eating them, it's your body and your health. As for me, I try to cut out as much as I can.
  • calamarione
    calamarione Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ^^^^Warning: Chemistry Lesson!^^^^

Fats are long chains of hydrocarbons (technical term for a molecule that has carbon and hydrogen atoms). Hydrocarbons have a range of sizes and they are the fundamental molecules of life. Sugars, proteins, cholesterols and fats are all hydrocarbons. However, the molecular structure of fats are why they have such a higher caloric value (9 cal/g vs 4 cal/g in proteins and carbs) on average.

As stated above the molecular structure of fats is long chains. What this looks like if you can imagine is a back bone of carbon atoms with hydrogen atoms poking out. Typically the ratio of hydrogen to carbon atoms is 2 hydrogen for every carbon or 2 to 1 (neglecting any functional groups or the end carbon atoms). When this ratio is close to 2 we call this saturated fat because the molecule is saturated with as many hydrogen atoms as the carbon atoms can handle. A saturated fat looks like this:

C - C - C - C - C - C - C - C - C - C - C - R

The hydrogen atoms aren't shown since I can't get the formatting to come out properly. Just assume that each carbon has 4 hydrogen atoms minus however many other atoms are connected to it. The R represents the rest of the functional groups associated with the fat that I won't go into details here.

Unsaturated fats are like saturated fats only we start eliminating the hydrogen atoms from the chains. For every hydrogen atom we eliminate we reduce the total caloric value (or just energy) of the molecule. There are other benefits too such as how the fat transports in the body, how it agglomerates (similar to cholesterol in our blood stream), etc. A monounsaturated fat would have two of those hydrogen atoms removed and replaced by a double bond between the two affected carbon atoms. A polyunsaturated fat would have several more affected pairs of carbon atoms. An illustration of a polyunsaturated fat:

C = C - C - C - C = C - C - C - C = C - C - R

You can extend this idea to carbs and proteins which tend to be cyclic molecules. You could imagine the above hydrocarbon chain bent around on itself. This would eliminate more hydrogen atoms. Also, carbs and proteins have other functional groups attached to the carbon atoms which our bodies do not utilize as much for energy which (for the sake of illustration here) would further eliminate hydrogen atoms.

^^^^End Chemistry Lesson^^^^
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The only "bad" fats are trans-fats. Both saturated and unsaturated fats are healthy and provide nutrition for your body.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Even if saturated fats do not have any negative impact on your health, they also likely have no positive impact. Also even if they are truly innocuous, the bulk of foods that are high in saturated fat are usually loaded with sodium and other chemicals as well. By all means if you think saturated fats aren't bad then keep eating them, it's your body and your health. As for me, I try to cut out as much as I can.

Umm NO! Coconut oil??? No, not loaded with chemicals, sodium or any of the like. Fresh beef tallow, none of that stuff either. My fresh bacon fat doesn't have chemicals, sodium and the like in it............

I stay far, far away from PUFA's (Poly Unsaturated Fats - such as canola oil, corn oil, vegetable oil) they are rancid before they even make it to the store shelves and are far more likely to lead to inflammation in the body.

What do restaurants use to fry french fries, vegetables and the like??? Polyunsaturated fats! So where is the chemicals and sodium coming from???? The PUFA;'s
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    Thanks for posting. It's a good read! I'm putting a bit of it here that sums it up well.

What really matters is the type of fat and the total calories in the diet. (7-15)
    •Bad fats, meaning trans and saturated fats, increase the risk for certain diseases.
    •Good fats, meaning monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, do just the opposite. They are good for the heart and most other parts of the body.

• BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    Chemistry was one of my least my favorite subjects lol. Thanks for breaking it down!

^^^^Warning: Chemistry Lesson!^^^^

Fats are long chains of hydrocarbons (technical term for a molecule that has carbon and hydrogen atoms). Hydrocarbons have a range of sizes and they are the fundamental molecules of life. Sugars, proteins, cholesterols and fats are all hydrocarbons. However, the molecular structure of fats are why they have such a higher caloric value (9 cal/g vs 4 cal/g in proteins and carbs) on average.

As stated above the molecular structure of fats is long chains. What this looks like if you can imagine is a back bone of carbon atoms with hydrogen atoms poking out. Typically the ratio of hydrogen to carbon atoms is 2 hydrogen for every carbon or 2 to 1 (neglecting any functional groups or the end carbon atoms). When this ratio is close to 2 we call this saturated fat because the molecule is saturated with as many hydrogen atoms as the carbon atoms can handle. A saturated fat looks like this:

C - C - C - C - C - C - C - C - C - C - C - R

The hydrogen atoms aren't shown since I can't get the formatting to come out properly. Just assume that each carbon has 4 hydrogen atoms minus however many other atoms are connected to it. The R represents the rest of the functional groups associated with the fat that I won't go into details here.

Unsaturated fats are like saturated fats only we start eliminating the hydrogen atoms from the chains. For every hydrogen atom we eliminate we reduce the total caloric value (or just energy) of the molecule. There are other benefits too such as how the fat transports in the body, how it agglomerates (similar to cholesterol in our blood stream), etc. A monounsaturated fat would have two of those hydrogen atoms removed and replaced by a double bond between the two affected carbon atoms. A polyunsaturated fat would have several more affected pairs of carbon atoms. An illustration of a polyunsaturated fat:

C = C - C - C - C = C - C - C - C = C - C - R

You can extend this idea to carbs and proteins which tend to be cyclic molecules. You could imagine the above hydrocarbon chain bent around on itself. This would eliminate more hydrogen atoms. Also, carbs and proteins have other functional groups attached to the carbon atoms which our bodies do not utilize as much for energy which (for the sake of illustration here) would further eliminate hydrogen atoms.

^^^^End Chemistry Lesson^^^^
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    You're right. Guidelines vary. One of the commenters posted a good article link. Here is some of what it says about the guidelines

The latest Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends getting less than 10 percent of calories each day from saturated fat. (27) The American Heart Association goes even further, recommending limiting saturated fat to no more than 7 percent of calories. (28) But framing diet recommendations in terms of “percentage of daily calories” is not terribly useful for the average consumer. That’s because people eat foods—not isolated nutrients.

I've read that saturated fats are meant to be less than 7% of overall calories (i.e. 16 grams of saturated fat on a 2000 calorie intake), which would mean the mono- and poly-unsaturated ones should comprise the remainder of your fat macro (whatever you've set that to). I usually manually adjust this stuff in the goals section. Of course, I'm sure people on paelo diets will strongly disagree with that. But the 7% figure seems to be a common heart foundation guideline that I've encountered. Of course, those guidelines will vary slightly between countries.
  • BrittneyJ2006
    Options
    From what I understand the article was still saying saturated fats are bad. Here is a bit of it.

Cutting back on saturated fat can be good for health if people replace saturated fat with good fats, especially, polyunsaturated fats. (16,25) Eating good fats in place of saturated fat lowers the “bad” LDL cholesterol, and it improves the ratio of total cholesterol to “good” HDL cholesterol, lowering the risk of heart disease. Eating good fats in place of saturated fat can also help prevent insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes. (26)

I agree with cutting out as much as possible.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Thanks for posting. It's a good read! I'm putting a bit of it here that sums it up well.

What really matters is the type of fat and the total calories in the diet. (7-15)
    •Bad fats, meaning trans and saturated fats, increase the risk for certain diseases.
    •Good fats, meaning monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, do just the opposite. They are good for the heart and most other parts of the body.

I would further my research if I were you................There is nothing wrong with saturated fat nor cholesterol.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

http://coconutoil.com/mary_enig/ The article about Diet and Disease, Not what you think is a great article.

I don't trust the likes of The AMA, ADA, <<<None of the alphabet associations that are out for corporate profit.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    From what I understand the article was still saying saturated fats are bad. Here is a bit of it.

Cutting back on saturated fat can be good for health if people replace saturated fat with good fats, especially, polyunsaturated fats. (16,25) Eating good fats in place of saturated fat lowers the “bad” LDL cholesterol, and it improves the ratio of total cholesterol to “good” HDL cholesterol, lowering the risk of heart disease. Eating good fats in place of saturated fat can also help prevent insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes. (26)

I agree with cutting out as much as possible.

I have reversed Type 2 Diabetes eating a boat load of saturated fat, my fat of choice. I am back to insulin resistance and reversing that too.

I eat grass fed butter, use the bacon fat after filtering from frying bacon, coconut oil, beef tallow - all saturated fats.

The only other oil I use is olive oil.

I do NOT use any type of vegetable oils at all. No canola, vegetable or corn oils AT ALL.

When I cut out the Polyunsaturated fats and the wheat gluten, no more inflammation in my body. It has taken several years to heal from the damage done by polyunsaturated fats and gluten.
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    Saw this today, thought it would add to the conversation and support the idea that saturated fats are not "bad":

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/03/31/295719579/rethinking-fat-the-case-for-adding-some-into-your-diet

Quoted from the article: (links in the article to studies)

""When you put all of this together," says Mozaffarian, what you see is that saturated fat has a relatively neutral effect compared with carbs. He says it's "not a beneficial effect but not a harmful effect. And I think that's what the recent studies show." He points to a host of studies published in 2010.

He also points to a highly publicized that concludes there's no convincing evidence to support the dietary recommendations to limit saturated fat."
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I also avoid vegetable oils such as canola but do use some seed and nut oils in moderation eg flax seed oil, macadamia oil, peanut oil, avocado oil, olive oil and coconut oil and I eat lots of grass fed butter, red meat with the fat on, roast chicken with the skin on, bacon, pork, eggs, full cream dairy etc etc.

I don't have any problems with my cholesterol, blood sugars or weight so I will keep doing what I'm doing.