Toe shoes while at the gym?

Options
So the other day at the gym there was a guy over at the other rack doing DLs. Have to say I was admiring another man because he was moving over 350 pounds around and making it look easy.

He walked past me and I noticed he was wearing some of those toe shoes. I've seen a lot of runners wear them outside but this was the first I've seen anyone inside of a gym wearing them. I stopped him when he was on his way back as curiosity got the better of me and talked to him about them for a bit.

He said that it helped both his posture but his strength/stability greatly when he started wearing them while doing squats and DLs. Since there isn't a shoe sole and they mostly act as a barrier between your feet and the ground it truly makes you keep you feet flat on the floor, pun intended.

I was curios and guessing that there may be others here that wear them and what they think? I've had these on my mind already for a while, just waiting for the snow to stop falling. Plus I'm going to be starting SL 5x5 soon and thought if I were to pick up a pair, it might be good to have them from the beginning as i'll be working to perfect form before the weight really adds up. Being overweight for so long I know my posture has been horrible so I've been really trying to fix that, don't want to walk around like a knuckle dragging caveman.

Thoughts?

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Never seen anyone wearing five fingers….but I have seen barefoot lifters.
  • SelkathNuggets
    SelkathNuggets Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I wear em at the gym, but mostly because I wear them everywhere and I find other shoes uncomfortable. Besides the treadmill I don't think they really help with anything gym specific.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I've seen people with them, I think they act more as a cross trainer, nothing with them specifically in regards to weightlifting. The benefit from them would be for Squats and deadlifts, being flat and closer to the floor, but being barefoot does the same thing for free. Also, chuck taylor's, which are cheaper then those toe shoes as well.
  • grintar
    grintar Posts: 7
    Options
    I have been reading up on different shoes and such to wear while deadlifting. Pretty much the general opinion is a flat sole shoe, like old school converse, or a shoe made for weightlifting(adidas makes one so does reebok). Other shoes (like crosstraining shoes) have to much sole and wiggle room to wear while dead lifting. Some people just dead lift in their socks. It makes it much easier to drive the heel into the ground.

If your looking for a decent shoe for the weight room, google "ADIPOWER WEIGHTLIFTING SHOES" or "REEBOK CROSSFIT LIFTER" or even those toe ones(i forget what they are called). They all will set you back a bit though. Weight lifting shoes generally have a harder heel and less padding. This stabilizes your foot more and allows better control while moving heavy weights. They are not necessary at all, but can help a bit. Also never use them for walking/running. They have very little padding so it can be hard on the knees for high cardio stuff.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    When I lift at home I prefer to go barefoot or socks only.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've seen some wearing them at my gym. They say the flatter sole is better to help with form. (I know sometimes with my shoes I have a tendancy to lean forward too much -- new shoes will be in my future just for this purpose).
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I work at a gym & a lot of my coworkers have worn them. I haven't tried them myself though. One person wears them pretty much every day so they must be good for lots of things.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    I use them on occasion for deadlifts and training legs. I do like the feeling of having my toes "flatten" out on the floor while doing these exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I've seen a number of people at my gym wearing them.

I wear Chucks, mostly because I already owned some and I'm cheap.
  • jacox925
    jacox925 Posts: 3
    Options
    *curious
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i wear them when i do SL5x5. i'd rather lift barefoot, but i don't trust the floor at any gym and most places require you to wear shoes. i think the benefit of the super grippy soles helps too in terms of traction when lifting.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I don't like the feeling of things between my toes. Took me years to get used to flip flops. So they aren't for me, but I have heard of a lot of people using them to lift. Makes sense. I would love to lift barefoot or close enough to it.

At the gym I use Reebock Crossfit Nanos and must say that after owning them under a month I own 3 pairs now if that says anything.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I lift at home and always wear my five fingers. I love just having something keeping me gripped to the floor, but no shoe.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Try them. If you like them, use them... If not, use them elsewhere. I've never tried them but my daughter has and loved them.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I don't like the feeling of things between my toes. Took me years to get used to flip flops. So they aren't for me

This!

I use socks at home and my pink high top chucks if I am somewhere that requires shoes :bigsmile:
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replys. I think I will be picking up a pair soon.

I'm not expecting to have some rediculous gains or for these shoes to move the earth but I've heard enough good about them from people don't who do any lifting but run and or just wear them as regular shoes in the spring/summer/fall.

Unfortunately my gym won't allow being barefoot or just socks. I would get some of the flat footed work out shoes but I have a little extra money to spend and seems like these have better grip on them.

Not going to lie, the fact that they are little weird on their own makes me want a pair anyway.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my VFFs. I have three pair now and I wear them as often as I can. They do not have magical powers. They are just comfy for me.

I wear them in classes at the gym - but they don't work well for Zumba, because they grip too hard on the floor and it is hard to dance around in them.

I do run in them on occasion. If you do cardio/running - you have to land on the balls of your feet - NOT YOUR HEELS. And start slow. Really - just do 1/4 mile and see how you feel the next day.