Ready to wire my mouth shut!!!

Options
I can't seem to get with it. I have 10 lbs. I want to lose and will do great with my eating and exercise for a day or two, and then fall off the wagon. I am so mad at myself and disgusted with my weight. Two more pounds and I will be considered overweight according to the BMI charts. :((((

I think one of my problems is I work from home and so have access to the kitchen all day. I know they say you shouldn't deprive yourself of your favorite foods or that will set you up for failure, but I'm wondering if I have an "all or nothing" type personality. In other words, would I be better off throwing away all of the tempting foods??

I am beginning to feel like I will never lose this weight.

ETA: and I see so many success stories here. How do you do it??? I seem to have ZERO willpower.

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    When you're ready to make a commitment to your weight loss, you will. If you don't want it badly enough, you won't.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    you just need to do it
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1240461-the-now

i work from home too and it is hard but very possible. i didnt cut anything out but cut them down. certain foods like cookies i limit how much i buy. good luck
  • xgussie
    xgussie Posts: 7
    Options
    The key is limiting. I'm at home a lot of the time, too. Distract yourself, drink a glass of water, make yourself some tea. If you find you really are hungry, switch to healthier snacks, such as an apple or some fruit.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Most commonly these kinds of posts are made by those who are restricting calories too much, getting hungry and giving up.

What is your weight loss goal set to? As you are already within a healthy BMI then you should only be aiming to lose 0.5 lb per week. Eat back your exercise calories on top of your calorie goal and you should have a decent, manageable calorie goal.

Working near a kitchen is no excuse. Most of us are near some sort of food source at all times. Just exercise a bit of self restraint and portion control.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    "all or nothing" thinking is really bad for long-term success at weight loss/management. Luckily, it's not so much a set-in-stone personality thing, but a habit that you can change. Try to stop thinking about being "on a diet" or "off the wagon". Make small changes that you can live with long term. It's ok to be hungry, it's ok to want to eat, it's ok to enjoy eating. It can be hard to eat the right amount that your body needs and then stop, but it's something that you can absolutely learn to do with practice.

Stop getting angry and disgusted with yourself. Overeating is a very, very common problem and it doesn't make you a bad or weak person. You just have to find strategies to combat it. Make new habits. Will power doesn't play that big a part in the end. In the moment, when you're trying to decide whether or not to eat that extra cookie that you didn't plan for and would exceed your goals - yeah, a little will power helps, but really it's about practising restraint, keep doing it and it gets easier - just like a muscle getting stronger. Stop getting mad when you eat something you didn't plan. Stop thinking you've failed and have to start over - stop starting over in fact. Just carry on making progress.

Throwing away all tempting foods - this is something where you have to decide what's right for you, and for some people, this is the way they choose to go. For me, I feel like you'd be creating a scenario then where you're "on a diet". You removing the temptations, so you're not really learning how to live with those temptations and resist them, how to eat moderately. You're reinforcing the "all or nothing" thing. You're creating an environment of "nothing" and then somewhere down the line you're going to find yourself with access to those temptations, and what then? Eat "all"? The more restrictive you are, the more your brain is going to want to rebel. Restricting food intake, and dieting as a whole, can cause disordered eating patterns. Not in everyone, but if you're already starting with the "all or nothing" mindset, then there is that risk.

Food isn't the enemy, even yummy food. Learning to live with it, and to live with your appetites, is going to be really useful long term.

In the meantime, make small changes... baby steps. Try to look at where your habits are getting in the way of your goals. Do you find yourself reaching for a certain food item or rummaging through the cupboards every time you go to the kitchen? Sometimes it can be as simple as moving things around, to a higher cupboard for example. It's still there, available, but the extra seconds of having to get it out gives you time to stop yourself and question what you're doing. Think about what your favourite foods are, and incorporate them into your day. Plan for them. Pre-log your diary for the day - maybe not everything, but plan those things that would otherwise let you down. It's really hard to stop habits sometimes - the best way is to replace them with something else. Do you wander into the kitchen when you're bored, looking for a bit of mental stimulation? Make a new habit to do something else everytime you feel like that. Put something in the kitchen so when you automatically go in there, you remember you're not going to reach for an unplanned snack, but do this other thing instead. Keep doing that until you've changed the habit.

Don't make it harder than it has to be. With only 10 lbs to lose, your body can only let go of a little fat at a time. You should not be creating a massive deficit - you should have MFP set to lose 0.5 lbs a week.

I also agree that sometimes you just have to do it, and if you want it badly enough, you will. You have to realise that you cant' just do something temporary for x number of weeks to lose 10 lbs, and then get back on with your life. If you want to keep it off, you need to make permanent changes, so whatever you do, ideally it needs to be something you can continue doing once you've reached your goal.

Regarding motivation, will power etc, check this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818701-the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't do well on severely restricted diet. Even if I got rid of all the junk food in my house...what about going to parties, potlucks, birhtday dinners, etc. I allow myself to eat anything, but I limit the amounts. When I eat, I try to do so very consciously and slowly, taking sips of water in between, putting the fork down in between; not watching TV, etc. Before, I would gobble up 1/2 of a package (1 cup) of chocolate chips without thinking. Now, I can get 5 or 10 chips out. I eat them one by one, savoring each one. Then I'm satisfied. Sometimes I get out ten of them, but after 5 I've had enough and get bored and put the other 5 back.

It also helps to have a list of things to do, such as projects, both around the house and hobbies. If I want to eat, I ask myself, "Am I hungry?" If I'm not really hungry, then I look on my list and get going doing something.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You and I are very similar in some aspects. I would also like to lose 10 more lbs. But, the difference is that I have lost 70 so far, since Jan. of 2013. I was doing so well watching what I ate and exercising, but I have let the exercise go off to the wayside. I have had some depression, and I feel like I am handling that pretty well (on meds now). And, I know I would feel better if I got back into exercising, but I just can't seem to get it started again. If I worked at home, maybe setting fruit and veggies out on the counter or at your desk instead of reaching for the other snacks. Or, pack a lunch like you would at a regular job, and only eat what's in that. And, count it before you eat it. Take a walk on your "lunch break" as well. Now that the weather is getting nicer, I hope to go for walks as well. Don't give up, and take it one day at a time.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    what does working from home have to do with it...???

I work from home most of the time too and there is more temptation at the office...vending machines, birthday cakes, etc.

You either want to lose the weight or you don't. It's a simple choice.