Help!! Weight loss tips?

Options
I'm 5'3'' and currently 147lbs. How do I lose 10lbs for my Winter Dance on January 28th, 2011? I'm on my senior year in high school and have been trying to lose weight for the past 2 years. Every summer I lose 10lbs then gain all it back during the school year. This is why I am back at 147lbs. At the start of September 2010, I was at 137 but because I had no exercise and was too concentrated on school, I gained all of it back. I don't want to go back to my original weight of 155lbs. It scares me to go back and I fear that I would not be able to lose the weight again when I get there. Also, my eating habits seems to be going back to that of when I was my original weight.

Right now, I trying to control my eating habits and patterns so that I won't overeat. I was wondering, any suggestions on what I should completely eliminate from my diet?

I am a sucker for sweet stuff. It makes me feel weak and have a sore throat when I wake up in the morning. How can I stop myself from eating these bad things especially during the holidays?

Recently, I have signed up at a GYM and plan to go everyday this winter break. I think that will help since I run on the treadmill for at least 30 mins then walk 15..This fluctuates but I try to burn about 500 calories on the treadmill every time I'm on it then do some strength exercises.

My MAJOR DILEMMA is when school is back on. I have taken on many different hard subjects [2 Advanced Placement classes, especially, that requires me to be in school by 7:30am] and sometimes I need 4 hours of just complete studying. When I can, I typically go to the gym at 5pm. Sometimes, I also have volunteer during school days. How could I make this for constant so that I am able to lose my goal weight by that time?

Is 10lbs even acceptable to be lost in 6 weeks?

When do you think I should set my goal weight to be achieved [130lbs for now] ? Would a weight loss of 17lbs from now until the end of August 2011 be achievable?

Please help me. I really want to be more fit and healthy especially since sometimes I feel like I'm starting to have health problems because of my messed up eating habits.

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Because of your age, with some dedicaton you can hit your goals.

Every morning when you get up repeat the following . . . I create myself with the choices I make each day . . . promise yourself that you will eat as healthy and with reasonable portions for the day . . . that day ONLY. Don't focus on your goal, just focus on each hour, each day. It isn't hard to stick to your dedication for one hour, then one day. This is the only way that I got myself into the habit of eating healthy . . . well that and MFP.
    When I am completely dedicated to logging every morsel, every taste while cooking, I stick to my plan. I have actually learned much more about myself from some of my bad choices as this is a learning journey.

Also, by logging everything faithfully you will quickly learn portions, and daily allotments for fat, protein, carbs, etc.

You can do it!
  • jenn50
    jenn50 Posts: 81
    Options
    I started this site about 2 weeks ago maybe 3, and i have learned from logging in all my entries i see what i am eating and i become consciense of eating habits because i don't want to go over my limit and i feel terrible eating certain things. I feel great about myself to and more confident and it's so easy to stick to and use. Like the post of this one just focus on one day at a time, don't worry about every meal for the day just one at a time. don't worry about the next day until you get there.
  • gymrat789
    gymrat789 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exercising should not be a choice, but a way of life. just like brushing your teeth, taking a bath and eating. It shoud be a part of your DAILY routine. Find time to do it. that means giving up on some of your favorite tv shows or internet time. As far as your eating habits are concerned. Say goodbye to sweets for good. Think of it this way, every chocolate candy or cake you eat goes directly to your butt and belly. you dont want to add more inches to that do you? Give it up for good ! its an addiction, like drugs or smoking. Eat a high protein, low carb meal. Less bread, more meat and fish. More vegies too. Sugar is what kills us.
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, the best tip is to cut out ALL the calories you drink (juice, pop, coffee or tea with sugar and milk, energy drinks and most of all, alcohol). Replace these with water... LOTS of it.. Try to drink at LEAST 8 glasses a day.. Cut back your refined sugars, and stay away from foods like bagels and muffins (I ate lots of those in school)..

Don't restrict your diet, or make any major changes that you wont be able to stick with in the long run. Make healthy choices! Take it day by day and don't stress too much about the numbers. 10 lbs in 6 weeks is doable, but don't focus on the scale, because it will go up and down!!! Just keep sticking with it my dear!
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    First, take a deep breath and exhale slowly. You are wound way too tightly and need to relax.

The thing I think that's most important when dealing with health and weight loss is mindset. As the wise Jedi master once said, "Do or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda. So, eliminating words like "try", "can't", "difficult" and "hard" from your vocabulary would be my first suggestion.

Don't stress so much about the details of calories and fat grams and when should I work out and for how long. I like lutzser's advice about telling yourself each morning, "I create myself with the choices I make each day". Don't focus so much on the end result. Focus on the hour-by-hour, day-by-day things that you're doing. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have an end goal. Sure, state what that goal is. But then let it go and focus on the short term.

Another thing you can tell yourself (several times a day) is, "I'm so happy I'm healthy! The extra pounds are melting away so easily!" Sounds silly, I know. But that mind shift away from negative ("this is so hard") to positive ("this is so easy") is key to your success and for maintaining a healthy lifestyle/weight.

For specific things to eat/not eat, I would recommend increasing your fruits and vegetables and reducing (or eliminating when possible) pre-packaged foods. The sodium content is sky high in processed foods and sodium makes your body hold onto water, causing weight gain.

Make sure to log EVERYTHING you eat AND drink... the good, the bad and the ugly. Hopefully, by seeing what you're consuming, it will help you to make better decisions to where you're eating less of the bad and ugly. And stick to the MFP recommendations. I know that THIS alone is what's helped me drop 14+/- pounds since Halloween.

Make up your mind that you're going to succeed and you will. :glasses:
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think that if you follow melliebee's advice and set the goal on here for 1.5 lbs a week you will do fine. Also like gymrat says you need to make time for exercise. I like to buy the little snack size chocolates and eat one after dinner for a treat. that way i don't feel too deprived. but the rest of the day is quality proteins and fruit and vegs. whole wheat/grains for bread. Just remember you want to make this a lifestyle not a die it. good luck!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Okay, first of all, I think your goals are completely doable. Second, it is going to be a challenge to schedule. I would highly recommend getting a planner and blocking off your time so that you can schedule your workouts. That's what I've had to do in order to make sure I get mine in on those busy days. I'm going back to school and taking 18 hours a semester. I also live 2 hours away from my school, so although I don't have to be in class until 8am, I have to leave my house by 6am. I'm also in class with an hour break here and there until 5:30pm so i don't get home until 7:30pm on those days. I use my breaks to go to the gym on campus and take a book with me to read on the treadmill or exercise bike. That way I combine some study time with my workouts. Granted, I don't read while doing sprints, but I do get a chapter or so read on the slower sections of my workout. Maybe you can schedule your workout time for right after school so you can go straight to the gym from school and then get your studying that requires more then reading done after you get home. I know if I get home and start studying I don't tend to get up from it until bedtime, so maybe that will help keep you from missing a workout to study?
  • Bexaa
    Bexaa Posts: 19
    Options
    Because of your age, with some dedicaton you can hit your goals.

Every morning when you get up repeat the following . . . I create myself with the choices I make each day . . . promise yourself that you will eat as healthy and with reasonable portions for the day . . . that day ONLY. Don't focus on your goal, just focus on each hour, each day. It isn't hard to stick to your dedication for one hour, then one day. This is the only way that I got myself into the habit of eating healthy . . . well that and MFP.
    When I am completely dedicated to logging every morsel, every taste while cooking, I stick to my plan. I have actually learned much more about myself from some of my bad choices as this is a learning journey.

Also, by logging everything faithfully you will quickly learn portions, and daily allotments for fat, protein, carbs, etc.

You can do it!

Thank you. I will actually start doing this! I will try to focus on every little step and detail before looking at the big picture. I only started the other day and so far so good! I hope all goes well
  • Bexaa
    Options
    I started this site about 2 weeks ago maybe 3, and i have learned from logging in all my entries i see what i am eating and i become consciense of eating habits because i don't want to go over my limit and i feel terrible eating certain things. I feel great about myself to and more confident and it's so easy to stick to and use. Like the post of this one just focus on one day at a time, don't worry about every meal for the day just one at a time. don't worry about the next day until you get there.

Thank you! I hope yours goes well as well! May we all succeed with our goals :)
  • Bexaa
    Options
    @gymrat789:
    Thanks for the tip! I actually went yesterday without sweets and I felt great! I had the most awesome exercise I've done in a few weeks and it just made me feel even better. I know now how bad sweets could make one feel.

@melliebee:
    Thank you! That's really true. I don't like sugar-filled drinks anymore. In terms of coffee, I believe keeping it black is alright since it's 0 calories. I heard green tea too is really good. but again, keeping it black.

Thanks for the booster!

@MaggieGiamalvo:
    That is really true. I need to get my mindset right and focus on now and how I feel. The better we feel about ourselves, the more motivated we become. :)

@rnroadrunner:
    Thank you! I'm doing my best to get things right. I'm really just afraid of when school comes back. I'm very studious and focus on my studies a lot. I want to do well in school and at the same time be able to achieve my weight loss/lifestyle improvement goals.

@TrainingWithTonya:

Thanks a lot! I shall really do that! Schedule my workouts, I mean. I've been doing that but it's only in my head so I don't always follow it. From now on, I shall write it down and make sure I follow it! I really needed this comment. It was one of my major dilemmas!
  • lovetosmile
    Options
    I think it's great you put this up Bex! omgee Winter Formalll X(
    Yes, you are very hard working, but yeah you're a bit wound up! it makes you an excellent student, but you need to give yourself some credit every now and then to keep going, and keep it positive :) so I can see you smile and laugh more often :D

In other words, I can relate to how you feel.. you go up and down. I hate that we just can't keep it at the body shape we all want and desire, well that's the human body for you.. always uncertain.
    Although, all you're focusing on is the scale and beating yourself up whenever you let yourself down. I do that too, because I think I will improve that way, but most times negativity won't cut it, to keep us going.

That's a psychological thing with how you view yourself, your weight is attached to your identity, and I know exactly what that means. My appearance is how people view me, how I prove myself that I'm fit and beautiful... it sounds so shallow, but I noticed people only see from the outside. So whether you impress them or not, it won't matter I realized. Because basing your satisfaction on people's reaction, that will never fulfill us. I am working out for me, although I think about my social life too on the side, I try my best to avoid being bugged with how people view me, so I just enjoy life and laugh it out. But that feeling of being accepted, that doesn't start unless you convince yourself first; that you are beautiful in any shape... then what the rest of the world thinks won't even matter in the end.

But at least we want to be Healthy!! and I'm really happy about that :)))) So it's really important that we help each other, I don't think of us as these sexy ladies by the time winter formal comes... you're still Bex, and I'm still Lovetosmile, no different.. but we'll be happier, healthier and more capable people in life... I don't think about a pound or more lighter.. I think about my heart how much easier it can pump through my veins.. not being saturated in lipids ;D I just want you to enjoy what you're doing, and not think about this as a task. But a favour you are doing yourself. We're lucky to care for each other, I'm lucky to have you there beside me, for crying out loud! xD hahaha.

Sure, I realllyyy care how big my thighs and puet are and how heavy I feel carrying all this excess fat on my waist, how my chest is too big it makes me feel ugly and sluggish, that's just my personal view of myself, it's good I recognize what I don't like, but it makes me more motivated to keep exercising and get back in that shape, no matter how many times I feel discouraged :P

I know this will be a painful, sore and tempting(to eat sweets) kinda journey, so keep focused and serious.. but give yourself a pat on the back sometimes, complement and smile at your reflection.. because it makes you go a long wayyyyy even if your looks let you down, I know so. Love yourself for who you are Bex :)) you're beautiful !! :) *mwah* xD