Big Appetite Vs. Low Calorie Intake?

Options
Hi everyone.
MFP recommended that I eat 1200 calories a day. I have a small physique so I can't eat very much anyways. However, I've got a huge appetite and even with drinking a lot of water, I still feel hungry and crave food a lot of the time. I take appetite suppressants as well but those don't seem to help that much. Any tips or ideas? Thanks.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight? 1200 calories is too low for most people and if you're feeling hungry and deprived it is not likely to be sustainable long term.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I change my calorie goal every once in a while, and sometimes I eat around 1300 although I only do that for a few months at a time. I find that I cant really last on being so restrictive, especially when I am working out alot. Even when I am trying to eat around 1300 cals most days, I tend to have one or two days a week where I eat more than that.

On the days I am keeping my cal count that low, I fill up on veggies. That is the only way that I can keep myself satisfied without binging at the end of the day. Also, I plan ahead exactly what foods I wil eat, dont allow myself to eat what I havent already logged for the day, and eat approximately every 2-3 hours, small meals full of protein and vegetables.

On such a low calorie diet, there really is not room for "treats" perse, so you do have to really plan ahead and get the max amount of bulk for your calories. I eat pretty much the same thing daily during my work week, and my diary is open (although today I did have some baked chips when all my coworkers were having donuts, so that was something I normally wouldnt eat on my stricter days)

A lot of people will tell you to just eat more, and I will say I do agree to a point. I know that when my mind is constantly on food and I am fighting myself not to binge daily, I am depriving myself and my body is saying YOU NEED MORE FOOD. Right now I am recovering from some health issues and that is why I have cut down to 1300, but I always listen to my body and if I feel like I'm constantly feeling unsatisfied, I up them a little at a time and see what happens.
  • BelindaComedy
    BelindaComedy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you tried figuring out your TDEE? I figured out my basal metabolic rate and exercise calories and I eat about 400 cals more than MFP says to, and I am losing weight. Especially if you are working out as well. But what Emily says makes a lot of sense. Veggies are very filling, and just low calorie/high density foods.
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    im 5' ~ 5'1 ft and i weight about 116.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you even need to lose weight?

• jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you even need to lose weight?

This, given that you are 5'1 and 116 with only a couple lbs to lose you're more realistic weight loss target should be half lb per week. Just because you tell MFP you want to lose 2lbs/week doesn't mean you should listen to it...

Try finding your TDEE and go from there. I think you'll find you can eat A LOT more and lose weight! And why wouldnt you want to eat more if you can still lose weight?!

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/