Defining Sedentary

Options
So I'm trying to set my fitness goals but I'm having a bit of trouple deciding whether I am 'Sedentary' or 'Lightly Active.'

I do a 30-minute jog 2-3 times per week. But because that is a separate part of the calories setting goal, I am assuming that I should be indicating my day-to-day activity level regardless of work-outs.

I go to Uni two days per week. There's a bit of walking between bus stops and the Uni itself is on a massive hill. Normally a bit of a walk between each class. But on my breaks I'm straight to the nearest computer lab.

I work 2-3 days per weel (9-12 hours) in retail. Standing at a till, preparing food, re-filling stock, ect. On the days I don't run I try to do do sit-ups.

But in the evening I am pretty much in front of my computer.

Any thoughts on how to calculate this?

Replies

• mercurywinks
    mercurywinks Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would say lightly active for sure. I work at a desk job over night, I'm pretty much on my bumpkis all night long. If I'm awake I'm not really active at home either.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would call it lightly active.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'd say you are probably closer to Lightly Active.

If you have a smart phone, you can download a free pedometer app and see roughly how many steps you take in a day. It won't be as accurate as an actual pedometer, but it can give you a basic idea.
    - Less than 5000 : Sedentary
    - 5000-7499 : Low Active
    - 7500-9999 : Somewhat Active
    - 10000-12499: Active
    - 12500+ : Highly Active

I'd say track your steps (excluding exercise) for a week and then average out the numbers.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I would say lightly active based on your job.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Retail would probably make you lightly active but the Uni days could be sedentary. I wear a FitBit synced with MFP and work in an office and walk both ways - but unless I've walked more than 2.5 miles in a day FB does not deem me as any more than sedentary.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

If you have a smart phone, you can download a free pedometer app and see roughly how many steps you take in a day. It won't be as accurate as an actual pedometer, but it can give you a basic idea.

I'd say track your steps (excluding exercise) for a week and then average out the numbers.

Shadow2Soul - can you share where you got the steps/activity info? I like it because it calls me "Active" to "Highly Active" :laugh:
  • maskedbelleza
    maskedbelleza Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Shadow2Soul - can you share where you got the steps/activity info? I like it because it calls me "Active" to "Highly Active" :laugh:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

I think this is the study they're using as a base.