Training advice for hypothyroid

Options
Hi guys,

I have an underactive thyroid and have recently lost about 10lbs while exercising and following a paleo lifestyle (most of the time). I'm now about 4-7lbs away from what I think is my ideal but for the last 6 weeks I've not lost any weight. I know most of weight loss or gain is down to food and I need to be a little stricter there, but with regards to training, for someone with hypothyroidism should cardio or resistance training be favoured over the other?

Currently I do a yoga or Pilates class along with either TRX, Body pump, spin or Zumba 5 days a week. Any advice if I should change it up by doing one week cardio and one week resistance training? I feel like I work out hard and that if a person with a normal metabolism did the type of exercise i do, they would have a body to die for. So I would really appreciate any training tips.

Thanks

Replies

• coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing everything well. Are you counting your calories as well as doing paleo? Because if you've plateaued, what some people recommend doing is upping your calories for a couple of days by about 200 and then dropping them back to your usual. I think it gives your metabolism a jumpstart again. Remember that you could also be building muscle, and losing fat. No weight loss doesn't mean no progress, especially now that you're down to your last couple of pounds, so measure yourself as well as weighing yourself!
  • jasmin1310
    jasmin1310 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I stopped counting calories and my weight started to drop. Maybe I need to get back on it.
  • jeannevdl
    jeannevdl Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi there, I have PCOS and hypothyroidism. I have not been on medication for one of them, until about a month ago when I started a very light thyroid medication and the evra patch, which will regulate any cysts I have.

However...I went from 80kg to 58kg by exercising and I'm not gonna say I ate right or clean, because I didn't, but I didn't eat a lot. (I would rather eat a little of what I like, than kill myself with "clean" eating)

So after that I did go to university and picked up weight again, but that's because I ate a lot of what I like and didn't exercise at all. Fell off the wagon for a good year there. However now I have almost lost my weight that I picked up, and this wasn't by taking medication for everything, it was by falling back to my original exercise & looking at what I eat again.

Having hypothyroidism is not nice, those blood tests are crazy expensive here and I don't run to a doctor with every little problem anymore, because they want to put you on this and have you come back...and then change it to that and have a follow up, it's crazy and quite exhausting as well.

So I start of with jogging on the treadmill for 5 minutes till my heart rate goes up
    I strength train and do abs and thighs 3+ times a week
    I do between 4-6 spinning classes a week which are 45 mins long
    I do 2-3 shape, aerobics or zumba classes a week, but this fluctuates because it mostly confuses me ;) so some weeks I don't even go to one
    I do yoga or pilates on my resting day and that's all I do, simply because I like it and find it very relaxing.
    Twice a week I walk on 15% incline at about 5-6km/h for those under the bum bits..

So...I know..it feels as if I did not have those health issues, I would be ripped and amazingly fit-looking. Our thyroids sets us back a little, but we can get there too, it will just take harder work and a longer time.

So, our bodies does use calories differently, because our calorie consumption rate is lower than the average persons'. Our metabolisms are slower, thus we need to follow a ketogenic diet. Our bodies love storing fat and using calories very sparingly, and a ketogenic diet burns fat instead of carbs. This is a high protein diet and very low carb diet.

I live in SA and a high protein diet is easy to follow (my boyfriend referred to chicken pasta that I made for him as "vegetarian food" and I made beef chinese fried rice for him that he referred to as "plant food") because we eat meat and we love it. Meat is dense in calories, so you need to look at portion sizes. When I cook at home for my boyfriend, I seldom eat what he does, since something like chicken pasta or chinese fried rice is packed in gluten and carbs which our hypothyroid bodies really don't appreciate. (Rice doesn't really have gluten in, but carbs galore)

http://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection

Google Ketogenic Diet images to see a pyramid :) I swear by a ketogenic diet, I'm a blood type O as well, which is a meat eater and very few dairy/starch eater. And I love it.
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Are you on the correct medication?
  • jasmin1310
    jasmin1310 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks, for your feed back, I guess I'm on the right track, just need to keep at it.
    I'm on the right meds, I see an endrocronologist every 3 months, my levels for t4 and t3 are good right now.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

The closer you get to goal, the more slowly you lose. That's just the way the human body works. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants