Help transitioning to steady running

Options
Hey everyone just wondering if anyone has any pointers in transitioning to steady running from the run walk routine. I have been running since about January and I am able to do 5kms pretty easy but I still find the most I can run straight is about 8mins before I need to take a min walk break. I am now running/walking 5kms in under 35mins and doing long runs/walks up to 10k once a week.
I am running my first timed 5k on April 27th and would like to run the whole thing dose anyone have any pointers on how to make the transition to steady running? I am trying to cut down the walks but it still seams I want/need them, or am I on the right path. Thanks in advance

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Did you do the Couch to 5k routine, or something like that? That worked great for me when I started running.

You're basically just progressively shortening the walk periods and increasing the run periods until it's a solid block of running.
  • randycj7
    randycj7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No I tried to do the couch to 5k but it seamed way to easy I guess I could skip to near the end and try it again to do the last few weeks and see if that helps.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Like the guy above me said, you just increase your running amount steadily. You can run now for 8 min, so try going 9 min before walking a min. Do that for a week, and then next week, make it ten. I know that if i push harder than normal today, than in 2 days, after recovery, that will be my new normal. You can also try walking for 30 seconds, and then getting back to running.
  • randycj7
    Options
    Thanks that is what I have been doing for the last week or two and I have noticed it getting easier to run more I was just making sure I was on the right track. I will keep pushing on.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    No I tried to do the couch to 5k but it seamed way to easy I guess I could skip to near the end and try it again to do the last few weeks and see if that helps.

Well it sounds like you're currently about half way through, as I recall the 8 minute run is in week 4 of a 9 week plan. If it's any concolation, in the C25K group most vocal concern comes at this point as the step up to 8 minutes, and then 20 minutes of continuous running is quite intimiadating.

At this point running is as much a mental game as a physical one, so you just need to fight through the temptation to walk. It's now entirely in your head.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Have you tried slowing down?

I run a 5k in about 33mins - and I don't walk any of it.

If you are run/walking a 5k in under 35mins you must be going at a fair pace during the running portions.

My advice is to slow down. You'll be able to go for longer then, and you can build up speed over time. You should be able to have a comfortable conversation during the running parts. If that's a struggle, you are going to fast.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

If you are run/walking a 5k in under 35mins you must be going at a fair pace during the running portions.

My advice is to slow down. You'll be able to go for longer then, and you can build up speed over time. You should be able to have a comfortable conversation during the running parts. If that's a struggle, you are going to fast.

I agree with this ^^^
    I think slowing down would help. 35mins/ 5k with walking is really good. I ran my first 5k at 29min, continuous running.

Do you do a 5k distance often for your training? When I trained for my first race, I only did 5k once, and 8k once, all my other runs were shorter, 2,3 or 4k, with focusing on pace and not stopping. Time those distances and try to beat, then, increase the distance. I also did, 1min fast pace, 1 mins walk, alternate for a specific distance or time.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate the power of the herd when doing your first "race." Group inertia can help you keep running when you would normally stop when alone.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    The first mile is always the hardest. It takes at least a mile before I get my groove going. I just plug through the thoughts that I should stop and walk a bit because deep down, I can do it. Sometimes when I have a bad run, it is because I have too much going on in my head and it ends up making me not run as well, or as long as I can. You have to push through it and it will get easier.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I was thinking -- I ran a 5K training run Tuesday in 34 minutes - no walking. I was running. You must be running at a very fast pace for the 8 minute stretches to come in under 35 with walking as well. I say slow down and just keep pushing through that urge to stop.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Just slow your pace down. For me, I knew I was going slow enough if I could carry on a conversation or sing a song while running. If you cant slow it down and keep your heart rate / exertion under control, then maybe you should still keep doing the walk run method until you can increase your running time significantly.
  • jojospero
    jojospero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate the power of the herd when doing your first "race." Group inertia can help you keep running when you would normally stop when alone.

I agree! Very motivating... and the crowd cheering you on! :smile:
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I second the notion of slowing yourself down. In my running experience over the last 18 months my speed has naturally increased as I've run more cumulative miles, not the other way around.

Start by slowing your pace down to a "conversational" pace, it might feel really slow at first, but, it will help to build your endurance up. You'll gain speed over time.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Slow down a bit and see how far you can go at a little slower pace. Then I would recommend checking out the C25K and seeing which week of the program matches where you are the best. Jump in there and follow it through the rest of the program. It will help teach you how to add more running and decrease on your walking time without over doing it.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I understand your wanting to run the whole distance, but there is nothing wrong with a run/walk stratagy for a number of reasons:

from http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/ Principles behind run-walk-run:

• Continuous use of a muscle will result in quicker fatigue

• The longer the run segment, the more fatigue

• Run-walk-run is a form of interval training

• Conservation of resources

• Quicker recovery

• Less stress on the “weak links”

• Ability to enjoy endorphins

• Reduce core body temperature

• A smart way to run – by giving you congnitive control over each workout.

• Allows you to carry on all of your life activities – even after long runs

• Motivates beginners to get off of the couch and run

• Bestows running joy to non-stop runners who had given up

• Helps improve finish times in all races

• Gives all runners control over fatigue

• Delivers all of the running enhancements without exhaustion or pain

Other resources that endorse run/walk are: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/running-to-lose-weight, http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1384
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Do you do a 5k distance often for your training? When I trained for my first race, I only did 5k once, and 8k once, all my other runs were shorter, 2,3 or 4k, with focusing on pace and not stopping. Time those distances and try to beat, then, increase the distance. I also did, 1min fast pace, 1 mins walk, alternate for a specific distance or time.

THIS!!!^^^

And generally, you'll run get adrenaline going from the actual race and that will keep you going and probably shorten or eliminate the walking as well. Back off your actual running pace a little and see if that helps, too. Some people think that it's crazy, but if you run at just a slightly slower pace, you'll run farther and probably finish just as fast, if not faster than you currently are.
  • randycj7
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will try and slow down my pace and see how it goes, I do think that in a group I will run farther without any walks most of my runs are by myself but when I did run with a group It was a much slower pace and we only slowed to a walk 3 times in the 5K, and that was also almost 2 months ago when I ran with the group. I will try and see where I am at in the c25k program and try continuing on from there. I have been running 5K pretty regularly at least 3 or more times a week.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will try and slow down my pace and see how it goes, I do think that in a group I will run farther without any walks most of my runs are by myself but when I did run with a group It was a much slower pace and we only slowed to a walk 3 times in the 5K, and that was also almost 2 months ago when I ran with the group. I will try and see where I am at in the c25k program and try continuing on from there. I have been running 5K pretty regularly at least 3 or more times a week.

The great thing in a 5k "race" is that you can chase ponytails the entire way. They are quick little creatures.
  • randycj7
    Options
    LOL so true its like dangling a carrot in front of a donkey to keep it moving.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I vote c25k as well!! :)

I have asthma and barely ran more than a few min. When I first started c25k (the first time) I found it too easy in the beginning 2 weeks, but it does get harder. Unfortunately I didn't finish my first attempt :( But this past January I decided to restart it with a friend and although I found it difficult at times and got behind schedule a few times, I am one workout away from completing it and I can run nonstop for 30 minutes now :)

I would recommend you download it and skip ahead to maybe week 4 :) Week 5 is when it really starts to pick up the pace