Plantar fasciitis- foot injury help please

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You need better shoes with arch support or just buy some inserts with arch support. To relieve inflammation, freeze a water bottle and then roll it around under your foot.

I had plantar fasciitis. It did eventually get better. You just need to make some adjustments. A brief rest from running would be ideal.
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what I am seeing on here. I am in the final phases (hopefully) of recovery for plantar fasciitis that began in August. First, I took some time off (just a couple of weeks) from ALL working out. Then I reintroduced elliptical and cycling - being careful on the elliptical to keep my feet flat and not try to mimic the running motion. I did that for a few weeks and then slowly began to introduce running back in (icing afterwards). The pain reintensified once I started running again. However, the second time around I did everything the same, but added in more calf stretches (leaning up against a wall with one leg extended out behind you, and then bend the knee, you should feel this in the area where it hurts in your foot) and rolling my foot over a tennis ball/golf ball/lacrosse ball (over the arch and around the heel). I also found that actually massaging the areas of my foot that were in pain really helped.

Hope this helps! You will really have to take it easy for a little while.
  • 200lbcatch
    Options
    Some advice I heard from Tony Horton was if you injure your lower body than workout your upper body and core while it heals, push ups, weights, sit ups etc.

And if you injure your upper body, like shoulder, etc, than workout your lower body while it heals. Give your body time to heal where it needs too and work out a different spot - so you are consistent.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Has anyone suffered? It's a heel/arch injury :-( the pain is so bad, what I want to know is do any of you still workout? I've been running and it seems to be helping me tone and don't want to stop :-(

Hi,

Feel free to add me. I am a long-time sufferer and one of the worst plantar fasciiitis cases in all of Texas. I know all about this condition and have had everything up through the surgery.

I'd need to know some more details to discuss further, but suffice it to say, I have suffered much from it. After dropping 160 lbs, I have an easier time, but the bum (left) foot will never be a normal foot. I still have to be careful. My right foot is fine. I'd be happy to offer whatever advice I can. Sadly, for the severe cases, not really much can be done.

Have you had the injections yet?
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    http://running.competitor.com/2013/03/injury-prevention/five-do-it-yourself-remedies-for-plantar-fasciitis_50264

Good info there...

I had it last year. I went to see a foot doctor (can't spell what he's called). He offered me either a steroid shot OR oral steroids. I went with the oral steroids as there was a scare up here with injectable steroids and one of the compounding facilities.

I took maybe 4 weeks off running, did other things like the arc trainer and an exercise bike. After that I taped my foot with rock tape constantly at first, and then just for runs. I was taking an Alieve after dinner and one with breakfast for simply months.

I finally stopped wearing the tape and let things kinda run their course. I definately prolonged my recovery by masking everything with NSAIDS and Tape. Take the time off your feet, find other things to keep active..

Also, epsom salt foot baths are good. I still keep a water bottle in the freezer and roll my feet after longer runs, might not be necessary but many runners take full blown ice baths after long runs so....
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have it and it is a pretty chronic issue for me (I have a connective tissue disorder). I've been reluctant to try any serious running due to it, and have been working toward that very slowly.

My doctor's and therapist's advice has always been to not go barefoot (which is really hard for me), even in the house where shoes. My arches have fallen in my feet, so they are pretty flat, but I hear it happens with high arches too. I'm thinking orthotics would help too. Definitely ice and stretch!
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options

2) Invest in a foot brace to sleep in. It holds your foot in the proper position. It was about $25 at Target.

What kind of foot brace?
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    These flip flops have been wonderful for walking around the house. I have them waiting for me next to the bed in the morning so I put them on immediately after stretching. Inexpensive and super comfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/Crocs-Womens-Capri-IV-Sandal/dp/B003YBHE5Q/ref=cts_sh_1_fbt
  • Frayde
    Frayde Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Mine was so bad I eventually ruptured the plantar fascia in my left foot. The good part of this is that it's a permanent fix. Can't get PF again in that foot. But it took a few weeks to heal. So take care of your feet, because that's really painful! I really encourage you to see an orthopod or a podiatrist and get fitted for inserts that are specially made for your feet. Hopefully your insurance will pay for a large portion of that. Wear them in tennis shoes and walking shoes. Not much you can do about dress shoes or sandals. I also understand, as the above poster stated, that it is ill advised to go barefoot or to wear flip-flops or other very flat shoes. You need excellent arch support!

Good luck!!!
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I suffered with it for about two years before I got it to heal. It still flairs up occasionally. I found the following helped:

1) Tape up your feet. You can Google how to 'tape your feet for plantar fasciitis'. It provides support and this was the number one thing that helped. When I feel that familiar discomfort in my foot, I start taping my feet again until it goes away.
    2) Invest in a foot brace to sleep in. It holds your foot in the proper position. It was about $25 at Target.
    3) Freeze a bottle of water. Put it on the floor and put your bare foot on it. Roll it around with your foot for as long as you can stand it, up to 20 minutes. Do it at least twice a day. The icing helps with the inflammation.
    4) Motrin for the pain.
    5) Rest - when its really bad, you have to rest it. When I have a flair up, I move to a bike for exercise. Just don't do anything that causes impact or stress on your feet.

Good luck. I know its a pain but you can get through it.

Great advice! I'll have to look for that foot brace. I've been doing an exercise that helps my PF. You stand with one leg in front of you (about 2-3 feet) with that knee bent, the other leg is stretched out behind you - both feet flat on the floor. Lean forward so that you are stretching out the calf and Achilles tendon of the back leg. Repeat with other leg. I hope these instructions are intelligible! this has really helped me a lot.
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Options
    I struggled with it last year big time! I did run some but did a lot of elliptical to stay in shape. I didn't go to a doctor and managed to get over it on my own. I made my own version of the strassburg sock. I wore that faithfully at night. Just google images of "homemade strassburg sock". Also, I did a lot of calf stretches before and after running. And I got myself some orthaheel slippers from QVC and wore those at home all the time. Never went barefoot. I did the golf ball under my foot at work alot. Google things that you can do for plantar fasciitis. Lots of great ideas out there. And be patient. Which was the hardest part for me. But I'm happy to say that I don't have problems with it anymore. Good luck! I know how painful this is!
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes I had it too and had to stop exercising for it to heal. I also got rid of all my flat shoes that had no built in arches. I now have one foot about a half an inch bigger than the other because the arch fell. But I haven't had another episode since I got better shoes!
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from this for years.....has not gone away. It does get better when I rest it, ice it, etc. I've had several cortizone shots. I ALWAYS wear shoes with inserts or at the very least birkenstocks as sandals and slippers to have the arch support.

The cortizone shot works for a good while IF you follow the docs instructions to ice and keep off your foot and stretches.

I have a dog, so I can't NOT walk for a week let alone weeks at a time....just not possible. It is painful and I probably need the surgery, but who wants that!?
  • scottsgirl4lyfe2004
    scottsgirl4lyfe2004 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i have it but no due to any injury some people just get it hugs
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    These flip flops have been wonderful for walking around the house. I have them waiting for me next to the bed in the morning so I put them on immediately after stretching. Inexpensive and super comfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/Crocs-Womens-Capri-IV-Sandal/dp/B003YBHE5Q/ref=cts_sh_1_fbt

Since my PF began last November, my Crocs are the *only* shoe I can wear without pain. I wear both the sandals, and the traditional clog type. I also have Crocs flats called "Celestes" that don't aggravate the PF much.
  • bpbeckett
    Options
    I have the same injury from last Oct. I have been seeing a Sports MD and he is great. Couple things...it comes from breaking down the arch in your foot. If you can get orthotics for your shoes it makes a world of different! Icing right after workout is best along with an anti-inflammatory like Advil or Aleve helps quite a bit. Try and pick exercises that reduce the running aspect if you can. I switched from jogging (which I did for years) to Crossfit and that has helped as well.

Honestly it is going to take a fair amount of time to recover. I can now run about 3 miles a couple times a week without it giving me pain but it has been a gradual process.

Hang in there it does get better!
  • sandrastreutker
    sandrastreutker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tape your foot - it will help. You can google to find out how.
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was also dealing with extreme foot pain and went to the doctor to find out I had Plantar Fasciitis. i was given a sheet with exercises as well as told to roll my foot over bottles of ice. It's helped a lot, but it's not "cured" it. I will more than likely be dealing with this for the rest of my life. Do the exercises religiously and it will help a ton. After walking for long periods of time I have to ice it really well and do stretching exercises. I'm one of those people who don't have the option of staying off my feet for long periods of time as well, I work retail :(

Good luck to you and hopefully your foot feels better soon :)

edited to add: I have one of the foot braces but cannot wear it while sleeping, so when I'm relaxing and watching tv I will wear it to keep the foot from relaxing too much than and it's helped some as well
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    yes ! meeee. I attacked it with a wrap-around arch support I bought online - a decent one will only run you about $20 -$30 and they work well. I also did foot exercises, rolling your foot over a tennis ball first thing in the morning before you get out of bed, and I bought sneakers with good arch support. I also ended up having to wear my sneakers to bed for a couple of weeks which was a real pain in the butt but it stopped the foot pain at night. I have been pain-free for about a year now, but it was hells bells for a bit. Good luck with it !
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    See a doctor and get a referral to physical therapy if possible. Your PT will assess your injury and other strength imbalances that may be contributing to it (posterior chain weakness in particular). Correcting the strength imbalance may correct the plantar fasciitis.

Aside from that, the other tips are good: stretching (of the plantar area and entire posterior chain); rolling on a frozen water bottle; tennis ball massaging of the area.

I avoid barefoot altogether. I'm using superfeet insoles (green in my athletic shoes, black in dress shoes). Chaco sandals are great for PF also - excellent arch support for the flat-footed among us. I usually wear those all summer, coupled with Sanuk flip flops, but the flips gotta go :( Just bought Chaco flip flops though and they're great!

I took 6+ weeks off running but I kept up my other routine - cardio classes, elliptical, and especially weights. My PF is likely attributable in part to weakness of the glutes and hamstrings so I've been hitting those hard and will continue to do so.