My toes hurt when and after running..

Options
Me and my friend started running on Monday and my toes really stared hurting underneath whilst running on Tuesday. We didn't go out yesterday but my toes still hurt though not as much.. Does anyone know what this is? Will it get better???

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your shoes and/or socks are not fitting properly. I have no pain when I run, unless I use an old pair of running shoes.
  • hollytrolly91
    hollytrolly91 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to get that when I first started out running- it stopped as soon as I got fitted for proper trainers :)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an issue with your choice of shoes.

Best option would be to visit a running store to have yourself properly measured and evaluated for the best shoe for your foot.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an issue with your choice of shoes.

Best option would be to visit a running store to have yourself properly measured and evaluated for the best shoe for your foot.

+1

It will not get better on its own, it will get worse. Your toenails may turn black and even fall off. (voice of experience) A well-fitting shoe should reduce if not completely eliminate this problem.
  • LillyLisax
    LillyLisax Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Socks? But you can't get different sizes..
  • fleetzz
    Options
    Socks? But you can't get different sizes..

Some are poorly made, but they do come in somewhat different sizes, not as specific as shoes as socks generally stretch.
    Some of my socks had the seam at just exactly the right spot to cause grief. I have found some great running socks.
  • LillyLisax
    LillyLisax Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Where do you get that??
  • fleetzz
    Options
    Where do you get that??

If you mean the socks: I just got mine at Target or Ross. One pair actually has "left" and "right" stamped on it :wink:

For shoes (likely more important): find a local running store and get fitted. Everybody is different, so you can't ask a fellow runner what shoes are best, you can only find the best shoes for you. Don't go to a general sporting goods store, unless you know what shoes you want because you have already been fitted and they are having a sale. One you get fitted (buy from the running shoe store so they can stay in business), you can shop online too.

You should not be in any pain when you run.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I had to go up half a shoe size to stop this from happening. And I got socks that are super thin and stretchy (kind of like those magic gloves - they look like child size when they're not on but fit my big old feet perfectly well). And as stated above, make sure the seams are where they won't cause any friction.
  • MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I went to the running store a couple of weeks ago to be fitted for my new shoes, I was told that there should be a fingernail's length of extra shoe on the toe to allow for your feet to expand when running. Maybe your toes are being pinched and causing pain underneath them. I bought a half-size bigger than what I previously wore and the new shoes are working great.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I lost a toenail once! It was... well, it totally gave me the heebie geebies. I went up a shoe size for running and it made a HUGE difference. No more rubbing on any toes. Plenty of room for my toes. And I make sure to keep my toenails nice and short.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a shoe with a bigger toe box. Also, there are different sizes/styles of socks...I prefer a medium sock when looking at thickness, and if they are too big they can bunch and cause grief.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    most likely improper fitting shoes. some running shoes are very narrow, while others have a wider toe box.

my advice to you is to go to a proper running store where they have sales people that are trained and know about these kinds of things, and have a lot of options for you to try on. they'll even have a treadmill for you to run on so you can have your running stance analyzed.

also, i find that aquaphor (or a water based jelly) slathered on my feet will help prevent blisters.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    In addition to shoes .. check your running form. How your foot impacts can cause, or mitigate, injury.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Wider toed shoes and socks
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    yeah, i would say shoes. When i went and got fitted they recommended a size or size and a half larger because your feel swell when you run...Also be careful about tying laces too tight.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Definitely sounds like you need better shoes! Switch out your shoes before you run again, and don't use those shoes if they cause pain. Pain now can lead to injury later. There's no swelling, is there?

Also, Features socks are the most amazing thing ever. They hug your foot tighter than regular athletic socks and prevent any blisters from forming. I picked them up at a running store.
  • jodatoad
    jodatoad Posts: 9
    Options
    Silly thought: Have you trimmed your toenails shorter? Sometimes they can bash into the top of your shoe and they really hurt.