Running Shoe Woes

Options
I started running last year and just bought some basic shoes from Sports Authority or some store like that. Well this year I started to up my training and registered for a few races. I went out and had some running experts at the local running shop check my run/stride/gait - They said I over pronated. so I bought (the most expensive pair of shoes in my LIFE) to correct this.

Long story short, I ended up not being able to complete my runs because the outside of my left foot is in horrible pain when I run. I was okay for the first few runs with the new shoes and then something happened and I couldn't even run. I've been off it for about 4 weeks and just tonight I went back out. I started out walking and then I started running and almost instantly the pain is back. However, it is only on the left foot. The right foot is okay.

Has anyone else been told they over pronate and then bought shoes and it made things even worse? I'm having a hard time saying it's the shoes since I spent so much on them and I can't return them. I have never had problem with the outside of my foot and up my ankle (the pain start on the left side of my foot and shoots up the ankle/leg muscle. I'm considering just going out and buying some cheapy shoes like before because they didn't hurt. I thought that maybe since I'm used to rolling in on my arch that now it's corrected and muscles that have never been used before are being used and that's why it's hurting. I've looked online and can't find too much help.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

*This goes beyond just having to "break the shoes in"

Sorry if this is too long, I can't figure out a shorter way to sum up my story :-/

Replies

• FitFoodieMomBillie
    FitFoodieMomBillie Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Do your other shoes (daily wear) address the over pronation? My guess is that it is too drastic of correction to go from over-pronated to correct only during running. Work on REALLY warming up the muscles that hold your foot / ankle correctly in the new shoes before and after every run, and even periodically during the day if you can. They are teaching you a new way to walk, run and even hold your feet and consequently stride and body weight. Learning the basic warrior stances of yoga (as well as a few other can help with this - practice on wii fit :) )

Also, I don't know which running shoe store you went to, but New Balance stands behind their shoes and generally will trade them in for an alternate pair (within reason). I LOVE my new balance shoes that I got to correct this issue (but mine are cross trainers, not running shoes).

)))Hugs((( - I hope you work it out!
  • LFernan85
    LFernan85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I went to the running store in the Town Center - 1st place sports. I'm guessing that the shoe corrects my over pronation but it over corrects it. I'll look up this warrior pose and some exercises. It's frustrating that they will only take back shoes they can resell and I've used mine too many times outside for them to take them. I guess I could go back in and explain what is happening and see if they have advice ... I don't even have my receipt anymore.

Perhaps I could sell them on Craigslist for like $20 or $30 cheaper. Then at least I'm not out $115 :-/ Eeek.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I would find another running store. The one I use takes them back, no questions asked, for 90 days. You may been given a misdiagnosis too. Sounds like you may need a neutral shoe.
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    FitFoodieMomBillie Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Do your shoes have insoles that you could replace? Sometimes the additional support/correction is in the insole and not in the shoe itself. If this is the case, you can replace the insole with less of a correction or even with a neutral insole and not be out the entire set of shoes.
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on shoes or running, but I would have to agree that a neutral shoe might be good for you. It may be that your body was used to running the way you do, and the shoes to try to correct this are hurting you by forcing you to run in a way that is uncomfortable or not natural for you.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I had a running store examine me and tell me I over-pronated. They were wrong. When the shoes I bought didn't work out, I examined my gait (checked some ways to test yourself online). I'm neutral to some under-pronation (supinate). I've since found shoes that work well for feet and buy the same model whenever I need new ones. Haven't had any issues.
  • WADELOGAN
    WADELOGAN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    how long have you had your shoes. running shoes last about 4 months if you run a lot. You said they were fine at first and now hurt, maybe they are already wore out. I know I have to buy new shoes every 3-4 mnths but I run a lot.
    I would also try to go back to normal shoes and see if you have the same issue. so many shoe options out there, it is hard to know what is best. Good Luck!
  • LFernan85
    Options
    They were fine-ish I felt a little sore on the side that ended up getting really hurt. I bought them on 2/18 - and only got to wear them 5 times before the run that really hurt me.
  • LFernan85
    Options
    I think everyone is right and I probably need a neutral shoe. I'm going to investigate if changing the insoles will do the trick and also go back to the running store. Thanks for the support and advise everyone, I can't wait to get back out there .... without being hurt and having pain!