Plateau after Phentermine?

Options
Well, I am on my last days of pills and have noticed the scale has been moving very slow the past week and a half but I've kept up with the eating and have even added kettlebells to my weekly workout regime. Just curious to know if people post-phen went on a halt with the weight loss or it continued?? So far, I am doing Zumba 3x a week, a variation of dance classes (hip hop, heels, waacking) 3x a week, kettlebells 3x a week, and yoga 1-2 x per week. And keeping calories at 1100-1300 a day. What else helped you get over your plateau??

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I plateau isn't a plateau until you've not lost anything for at least a couple of months. You are not in a plateau.

I can't speak for the phentermine, but it looks like your intake may be too low for your activity level. The quickest way to stall weight loss is to starve your body. You need to feed it.

I lost quite a bit of weight very rapidly when eating 1200 calories, but it didn't last long. My long term success came from eating 1600-2200 calories per day depending on my activity level.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what this stuff is but you are not eating enough to support that kind of activity. If you have lost a lot of weight quickly and are at a plateau on very low calories, you may have to look into doing some reverse dieting. You'll have to put your weightloss on the back burner so you can raise cals and then re-lower them. This will take a long time but honestly, losing weight quickly with pills is the kind of thing that ends up wrecking your metabolism and forcing you to regain (yoyo dieting).

Besides all that, the closer you get to your healthy weight, the slower the weight comes off. Keep your deficit small and eat enough to sustain your activity. Fat loss is rarely ever linear.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Plateaus don't exist, but you're probably going to gain weight when you come off them, it's just the nature of the beast, diet pills are intended to be temporary, otherwise the company would go out of business because everyone would be skinny. Weight loss and sustainable health is not as simple as a bottle full of pills.

Rigger
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    When I tried Phentermine I stalled out after about a couple of months. I got a tolerance to it I guess, it just stopped being at all effective and I quickly gained back the weight I had lost with it.
  • CBC435
    CBC435 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well I 'm not going to go into all of my medical history here but I'm on another hormone to aid in my weight overall so this shouldn't be happening either. I did notice that when I ate 1200 calories that's when I would lose the most weight and maybe I do have to up the calories due to my activity so I will try that out. Thanks
  • CBC435
    Options
    And I'm very aware of the outcomes post the pills and trust me, I know what I am doing when it comes to eating clean and working out. And I have been this way for 2 years so I don't want to hear the you need to eat a clean diet and workout. Yes, I have been doing that and again, not going into my whole medical history.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree with the poster who said you're going to gain the weight back when you discontinue use of them... Only if you eat more calories than you expend. I have continually lost weight since I quit them over a month ago. Just not as fast as when I took them of course, but still faster than most people.

I agree that you are not eating enough calories. Up them and the scale will start to move again.
  • CBC435
    Options
    Sounds good! I've been sticking to a low-glycemic "diet" (I'm using diet loosely because it's not really a diet) and will up my intake for sure and see what happens. My doc recommended I stay in the 1100-1300 range last check-up but again, I noticed when I would intake more, I would lose more. Which somehow boggled my brain! And yes, I have a girlfriend who is still losing weight and she's been off phen for almost 2 years!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    And the 1100 - 1300 is after subtracting your workout calories. You had 500 or so for Zumba today so that would mean you should eat 1600 to 1900 to make the calories you doctor told you.

Something strange happened to me. I had a total pigout day for the first time since I started taking Phen. I thought that would mess up my weight loss for the week. I had a little sliver of cake at a party. At night I was still craving carbs and sweets and couldn't stop eating them. Anyways I ended up losing 2 pounds that week. Never thought that would happen. So maybe it is good to have an off day from eating healthy once in awhile!
  • CBC435
    Options
    And the 1100 - 1300 is after subtracting your workout calories. You had 500 or so for Zumba today so that would mean you should eat 1600 to 1900 to make the calories you doctor told you.

Something strange happened to me. I had a total pigout day for the first time since I started taking Phen. I thought that would mess up my weight loss for the week. I had a little sliver of cake at a party. At night I was still craving carbs and sweets and couldn't stop eating them. Anyways I ended up losing 2 pounds that week. Never thought that would happen. So maybe it is good to have an off day from eating healthy once in awhile!

I know and I don't "eat" what I workout because I was told that's not good either. Still struggling to get higher than 1400 calories a day and usually sit in the 1100-1300 range most days. And you're so right! One cheat meal didn't put me over my calories that day but I thought- oh man I will gain 3 pounds and nope- LOST 2! WTH? Haha so I need to figure out the calorie thing and add more veggie snacks or something. But yesterday, was my last phen pill so moving forward!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, your last Phen? I hated when that happened last time. I had one more refill on my prescription, so I thought everything was fine. It turned out the prescription was only good for a few months, so it had expired! I had gotten the prescription from my regular doctor. When I went back, he wouldn't write me another prescription. He said that my BMI was 29 and that was good enough.

That was September 2013. By February 2014 when I started going to a diet clinic, I had gained back 22 pounds.

The diet clinic doctor says she will wean me off of Phen gradually. Thank goodness! I like going to the clinic; she spends plenty of time with me and answers my questions. It's much better to have guidance, I think.